WAG Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal… USOPC Appealing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
What do you think about all of this?

Emotionally, I feel bad for her and the Romanian gymnasts, technically, is it wrong? Probably not. How it was handled by FIG, et. al.? Horrible. Not really sure the point of demanding the medal back based on their own incompetence. At this point I would allow her to keep the medal and notate in the record books.

Am I ready to take up pitchforks and storm the castle as some on Reddit and other social media seem to be? Nah, Jordan, while I sympathize with her, will be just fine. There are way more important things like an election to tilt at the moon.

1723422985591.png

I will not try to be the armchair judge but if the judge missed something and it was acknowledged during the inquiry the decision should stand.

I think the Romanian PM and Nadia stoked the fire and the arbitration decision was rushed in a failed attempt to appease the PM so he would not boycott the Closing Ceremony. The PM’s comment about depriving them for “honest work” is narrow-minded considering all of the other competitors and I viewed it as being sore losers. When I attended the AA Team Final I saw that several inquiries were filed. The athletes and coaches should understand that and the Romanians should not have started to celebrate until the inquiry (which was displayed on the score board more than once) was settled. Yes, it is tough to lose but that goes with the nature of the competition.

I did applaud the move to ensure the Romanian 4th and 5th placed finishers received a medal pension but they should have left it at that.

Jordan should not be stripped of the medal and there should be formal and public apologies to Jordan once this is settled by FIG, IOC, Nadia, and the Romanians. Yes I may be bold by saying this but I think the true nature of the Olympic Spirit is to respect the competition and the competitors. Jordan was not malicious or acted entitled in any way her coach filed the inquiry following the rules the revised score should be upheld.

The judging issue and the time allotment for inquiries should be looked into and revised to ensure fairness. The last competitor should be given the same timeframe as everyone else.

Why would Jordan be stripped of a medal she fairly earned, when it was the judges fault and they even admitted it following the inquiry? It just seems so unfair to me and I hope the appeal goes in her favor. She did deserve her medal fair and square.

The decision to take away the medal was rushed and there must be accountability and repercussions for it from FIG and IOC they can only point fingers at each other for only so long. They could have slowed all this down but they rushed the decision to avoid a boycott from the Romanian PM during the Closing Ceremony.

This also sets up a bad precedent for anyone who loses to contest the outcome after the competition concludes.

The decision for the Romanians to hold a ceremony this Friday should not occur until all this is settled. Jordan did not cheat or beat the rules. The ceremony kind of makes me feel that they are trying to one-up and by giving the medal now they will cry about losing it after the appeal is successful setting up a shared medal as a solution when their athletes did not podium.

Memories will not overlook this nonsense in four years and beyond.

I feel really bad for Jordan Chiles. She has a heart of gold and a lot of respect for her fellow teammates and competitors. During the Gold over America tour I have a feeling the fans across this country will give her a HUGE amount of love and all the flowers.

Here is the 2nd thread of the same discussion over at Gymnaverse...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back