Parents Just checkin' in!!

• Thread starter Thread starter nettyinpa
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
N

nettyinpa

Hi Everyone!!

Just wanted to stop by real quick and say hello to everyone. Olivia still hasn't changed her mind about going back to gymnastics. But, that's okay. Still, I'm having more of a problem with her being out of the sport than she is. I'm getting better but I still miss it. :o

What is she doing now?? Well, diving has been put on the back burner. She may return to that but it's just not for her right now. Honestly, I think it was a combination of not enough practice time (2 hours a week) and getting over the fear of going in the water head/face first. Being a gymnast for 6 years really got her used to landing on her feet. And, going from 18 hrs a week in the gym to 2 in the pool was just not enough. So......

she is now trying field hockey and running. Field hockey is still only 3 hrs a week but they don't sit still for a second. She started a couple weeks ago and really enjoys it. The running thing she just started on Saturday. It's part of an organization called Girls on the Run. They work with the girls to keep up their positive attitudes, their self-esteem and how to treat others. Oh, and they teach them how to build up endurance to run, too! :rolleyes: She's working towards doing a 5k run in June. She loves it.

That's about all here. I really miss visiting with you all, haven't even checked-in for what seems like forever. I know most seasons are coming to a close. I hope everyone had a good season and I'll check back more often, I promise!!

Take care everyone!

Netty

Hi Netty! It's great to hear from you! I'm glad that Olivia is getting involved in other activities and is happy :). The county schools in our area have the program Girls on the Run as well--great program! The county we live in is a BIG running community that has lots of 5K and 10K races every month. I'm glad Olivia is enjoying the running--me being an ex-cross country and distance runner myself, I know how hard and sometimes boring running can be. I am so glad Olivia is having such a great positive experience with it!! Thanks for the update!!!

Good to hear from you. I played field hockey in HS and had loved it. It was alot of fun AND great excercise to boot!

Great to get an update. Sounds like Olivia is having a great time trying new sports. Keep us updated on her field hockey and running.

Glad she is finding other things and looks like you made the right decision for her I see most girls that leave do not miss it. I could understand how you would miss it I would probally feel the same way since I have become very close to the other families at my daughters gym. My oldest plays field hockey started in high school and loves it they have so much fun. Funny my gymnast who also wanted to try other things (she has been on the fence all year about continuing after a tough year at level6 for now she is commited to gymnastics but we know that could change) did swiming this year but was scared to dive maybe there is something about that it drove me crazy. Anyway it is good to here an update I wish Olivia the best of luck. It is a a lot less stressful watching field hockey and track you may have added on some years to your life!

It is so great to hear from you! I am sure I will have a hard time letting go if Alex ever decides to leave gym. I am happy that she is finding new and exciting things to do!! I totally get how diving could be confusing for a gymnast!! My DD's school has a Girls on the Run also. It interefed with gym so Alex chose not to do it. Quite a few of her friends do it and it is a very rewarding program!!

Thanks for keeping us posted on how you and Olivia are doing without gym. Hang in there! Sounds like Olivia is adjusting well, which is good. :)

Nice to hear from you! Not surprised that you had more hours to fill than diving could provide! Field hockey sounds like a lot of fun- the team experience is different than it is in gymnastics. I know my girl loves soccer and really loves being a part of the team. Drop in when you can- we love to hear from you!

Great to hear from you Netty - glad to hear that Olivia is out there doing her "thing" and find new activities to try! I understand that it's still hard for you, but great to see that you are letting her be her own person! Good luck on her new endeavors...

Hey Netty, good to hear from youy. Interesting how they try lots of new things, maybe something will stick but I do think it can take time.

My youngest went back to gym today after two months off. She quit comp gym and has gone into a group for ex comp girls. SHe wants to do cheer next year so her main aim is to keep up her tumblung and stay fit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back