Off Topic Kindle Fire?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Reaction score
The Kindle Fire is coming out soon...

Does anyone have a Kindle? Do you like it?

What is the difference between a Kindle and an iPad?

Love my kindle!! It was a christmas present. I had always considered myself a book collector so I didn't think I would like it but I do. What's the kindle fire?

**sportsmommy**

The kindle fire is supposed to be a cross between an e-reader and a tablet. You can download lots of apps. I think one of the main differences is that the kindle fire doesn't have a camera, so you couldn't use it to Skype, or whatever. But it's also vastly cheaper. I have an IPad, which I love, and am typing on right now. My mom has ordered a kindle fire for one of my daughters (my gymnast wants one of those flip cameras instead) for Christmas, so I'll be able to give you a good comparison then, if you haven't already made a decision.

I like my Kindle, but only for reading. Have tried playing games - not quite the "feel" of using an ipod or laptop.

The Kindle Fire looks interesting though - might consider this for DH's gift since he doesn't want an ipad.

still debating what I am going to do. they haven't come out yet so I have a couple more weeks. I like the idea of the fire (cheaper ipad). I can download movies to it, surf the web, etc. but I already have a thunderbolt phone and a netbook, both of which do those things just fine right now. I really want it to read books. And while I like the idea of in-true-color books that the fire will give me, I also want to read in the sunlight as we are at the pool a lot in the summer. so... I think I am going to get the new touch kindle when it comes out later this month to satisfy my desire for an ebook and then decide later if I really need a fire/ipad. dh is getting an ipad when the new one comes out - not even sure it has a release date yet. I may wait and play with that for a while before deciding. If I do get one, it will be a business expense since I can use it with the kiddos I work with. But it still is a pretty big expense for something I am not sure I will use enough to warrant it...

I don't have a kindle fire but I do have a nookcolor that I have rooted (jailbroken) so I have access to the android market and I also have adobe flash. The only downside to the nookcolor is it is wi-fi only. Not sure if the Kindle Fire will have 3G or 4G with it. I LOVE it I can do anything with it that I could do with an ipad except take pictures or videos. At only $250.00 it is perfect!!

I also have the Nook Color which I LOVE. I first was just looking for an eReader. I chose Nook over Kindle because you can also read pdfs and epubs (the format libraries use, so you can "borrow" library books for the eReader). The color version seemed great because you can also play games, surf the internet, and get e-mail easily. It is WiFi only, so I guess it depends on how you plan to use it. We have WiFi at home (and our second home, the gym!), and books and many apps can be used without internet connection. For me it was just a lot easier than carrying around books everywhere. Also a LOT cheaper than the iPad but much easier to do internet with than a phone. Strongly recommend! I assume the Kindle Fire will be similar, but I haven't really checked it out.

I also LOVE my Color Nook. I bought DD and DS ones last Christmas and had to get one myself. To me, it's a cheaper iPAD that serves their needs and allows you to borrow books from the library (which the traditional Kindles haven't been able to do). My DS used his gift cards to buy every kind of application you can think of it to operate on it (:eek: - so much for the book reader). I also highly recommend it. We have WiFi in the home so they can use the Internet to do homework research as well.

I have a Kindle and LOVE IT. I want a Kindle Fire for Christmas but I am worried that because it's backlit I won't be able to see it in bright sun. I really like the screen on my black & white Kindle and that it's super easy on the eyes.

I chose Nook over Kindle because you can also read pdfs and epubs (the format libraries use, so you can "borrow" library books for the eReader).

To me, it's a cheaper iPAD that serves their needs and allows you to borrow books from the library (which the traditional Kindles haven't been able to do).

As far as the library issue...our public library system DOES have Kindle books to borrow and I've borrowed a few. You can borrow at 7, 14 or 21 day intervals. Maybe that's a fairly new thing but you might want to check back with your library and see if the have Kindle books for borrow now.

Also, I had a book in PDF form and was able to read that on my Kindle. This is the one I have: Kindle Keyboard with Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display Maybe the older versions didn't have that capability but this one does. I've had it for almost a year now.

I also don't have 3G on mine but it hasn't been an issue. I download my books at home over Wifi or at the gym or any other place with Wifi. I love my Kindle...it goes with me everywhere!

We have a kindle and an iPad. The ipad is great for reading in the dark as it is backlit, the iPad sucks for reading in the sun for the same reason. So I do enjoy them both. The bateery life of the iPad, and I imagine the kindle fire, will be nowhere near the battery life of the regualr Kindle as it has to support so many more things.

We were contemplating getting a Fire as a cheaper alternative to another iPad for hubby to use on his travels, but I think in the end we have decided to pick up an Acer tablet for $300. Reasons are, Kindle Fire is not sold or supported in Canada. The old Kindle is an awesome e-reader and the battery life is about three weeks. The KIndle Fire is not going to be as powerful as the Acer tablet, and for internet only applications, it will do the job he needs it to do and he will use the kndle to read. The Acer tablet also has an SD card slot, nice touch for photos etc.

Both our kindle and iPad use WIFI, it has never been an issue, I can tether the iPad using my iPhone or I can pick up free WIFI in stores or hotels, most schools and convention centres have it too.

SO the answer is no, we won't be getting a Kindle Fire, though is does look FUN!

I'll consider it when it's supported in Barbados - don't know when that will be!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back