WAG Looking for advice or people who can relate.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started competitive gymnastics when I was nine on Xcel bronze. My family didn’t really know anything about gymnastics, I was the first person to do it in my family. I was already really behind but then Covid got happened and I had to quit. I joined dance instead because they had better health protocol during the end of Covid. I just joined back this year. (12 on Xcel Silver). I am on a team with a bunch of younger kids. I’m really determined and I work hard so I am the best on my team but I don’t get to practice harder skills because most people on my level don’t take gymnastics serious like I do and are not ready to do up skills. I feel stuck on a low level with no one else my age but I don’t want to quit because I want to do so much more in gymnastics. I’m just looking for anyone with similar experiences or people who have some suggestions. Thank you!

I started younger, and quit for around 4 years. Last year I was 14 and a gold. This year I’m a platinum, and 80% of the way to level 8.
The big thing for me when I came back was loving the sport. If I didn’t love it, it wasn’t worth it. I do that by focusing inward, it’s not about anyone else, it me and my relationship with the sport.
As for the up training, I go to a smaller gym, and am currently the oldest competitor. Due to that, it was very easy to have me train with the 6-8 girls, something that enormously helped my skill level. That, and I practice optional hours, not xcel hours.
I would advise talking to your coach about specific skill goals and how you can work together to meet them. Also, this time of year, less up training happens due to a focus on meets.
Another option could be going to things like open gyms to work on refining techniques for larger skills, which will speed up up training when you get to do it.

So I am 13 years old and I LOVE gymnastics and have recreationally done gymnastics since I was 5 at a recreational only gym and I switched to a different gym at age 12 which has a competitive team and it has been my dream to make the team but unfortunately the team is invitation-only and I want to compete so bad does anyone have any tips for getting invited to a team?

So I am 13 years old and I LOVE gymnastics and have recreationally done gymnastics since I was 5 at a recreational only gym and I switched to a different gym at age 12 which has a competitive team and it has been my dream to make the team but unfortunately the team is invitation-only and I want to compete so bad does anyone have any tips for getting invited to a team?
My team is invite only. I’m not sure if they work similar but if you or one of your parents asks about team then they sometimes do an evaluation. You could also try to join a pre team if your gym has one. I did that for a year when I was coming back from taking a break. It prepares you for team and gives you the opportunity to move to team at the end of the season (if they consider you ready to be moved up.) The main thing would probably be just asking about it because then your coaches can help you work towards your goal. You can look at the skills required for the level you want to go into and make sure you have all of them. And lastly, they are looking for being able to do skills but they are also looking for the ability to be taught and be on a team. Good luck!

I would also recommend having a conversation with your coaches to explore options. One option might be switching your training to a more advanced group (e.g., Xcel Gold) that may have gymnasts closer to your age, even if you compete Silver. Would you also consider doing privates so that you can get new skills faster and move up to Gold? As another option, you could see whether any other gyms in your area have "older" Silver teams (my daughter is 11, Xcel Silver, and her training group ranges in age from 11 to 15, but the gym also has a "younger"/smaller Silver group).
If none of that works out, think of this as an opportunity to serve as a role model for the younger gymnasts in your team. You could ask your coach whether you could help lead conditioning and stretching. And by working hard and getting new skills, you will set a great example for them to follow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back