Off Topic Making gymnastics a business

• Thread starter Thread starter Crisium
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
C

Crisium

Hi,

I teach gymnastics at a club in Denmark. The team I teach consists of 70 gymnasts. I teach 17 hours a week in my free time (after my primary job as a programmer).

I would like to create my own club, but I just can not get the financial numbers to add up.

Some background information about gymnastics in Denmark is needed. Clubs in Denmark teach at gyms paid by the county. The problem is all these gyms are full and no more room for new clubs. Typically a gymnast pays around 200-400 dollars a year depending on the amount of time they train.

If I start my own gym I would have to pay for it myself, that being; rent, staff, cleaning, lighting, heating and so on.... and with a gymnast only paying 200-400 dollars a year I can not get the numbers to add up. Each coach would have to teach like 100 children at a time... and that is not possible.

What does a typical gymnast pay to train at gym in the USA? Can somebody show me a model that works?

Hope to hear from you,
Crisium

Link Removed

Here in Canada comp gymnasts pay between $5 & $8 per hour of gymnastics in group sizes of 7-10. Recreational gym is more expensive.

A years tuition can easily be thousands of dollars. $200-$400 would get you one or two hours of gym a week for three months here.

Hard to make a private gym work if gymnasts pay so little. Coaches here are paid, our lower level coaches get $12 an hour, upper level coaches much more.

Yeah, at many gyms I've been at, the lower competitional levels often cost around $200/month while optional levels could be around $400/month.

So for example. 9 hours a week, roughly 200 a month. 16-20 hours a week, roughly 400.

Even gyms run by the city cost this much as they are still trying to break even or minimize losses.

For rec, 1 hour a week may cost 50-75 dollars a month depending on the area. So 4 hours a month=15 dollars an hour.

At most, some rec kids may be paying up to about 150 a month or so which equates to 6 hours a week or 24 hours a month.

These are just general numbers.

Hourly pay can be anywhere from 8 dollars an hour to possibly up to 30 dollars an hour (for an extremely in demand High Level coach who might have been an Olympian or has trained Olympians). This is regarding private clubs.

College salaries or salaries of gym coaches who work in City program differ a lot from that as they will also tend to have benefit and retirement programs, paid time-off, etc.

I'd say in Canada and the US, we generally try to keep ratios anywhere from 1 coach per 5 kids to 1 coach per 8 kids depending on ages and level. Parent-Toddler classes will often have much higher ratios as the parents are involved but they might add on another coach upon a certain number of toddlers (depending on program could be 8, could be 12 or 15).

For under 6, ideally many clubs might prefer to go no higher than 1 coach per 6 kids while for rec classes they may go 1 to 7-9 (preferably no more than 8).

in my area of the US

rec classes are usually about 8 - 10 kids with one coach and cost about $100 us dollars a month.
Team cost will vary depending on level and hours at the gym. the lower levels pay about $250 per month with about 10 - 12 hours a week the upper levels will be about $350 - $400 us dollars a month with about 15 - 20 hours a week. Teams have 2 - 3 coaches. This doesn't cover costs for team leos, workout suits, meet fees, coach's expenses for meets etc that is all extra. The tuition only covers the cost of the weekly practice times.

There are no gyms in the area that have elite teams so I have no idea what they pay in the us but I am assuming alot

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back