Parents Mix-up at the gym today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

IreneKa

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Our new summer schedule started today. DD is at level 3, and her schedule is 3 times a week 1:30 to 4:30. So she wouldn't be bored in the mornings, we signed her up for a summer camp at our gym from 9:00 to 12:00. They are supposed to do a little bit of gymnastics there, plus other fun stuff, like water slides, arts and crafts, rock climbing, etc. So, I dropped her off at 9, came back at 12, couldn't find her where all the camp kids were, finally located her in the gym doing gymnastics. Turned out they had a Level 4 practice at the same time as camp (9-12), and somehow they got confused and send DD to L4 practice instead.:confused: I asked the coach how did she do, he said she did fine, was able to keep up.:eek: I asked DD what they were doing, she said on the floor they were doing ROBHS (she just learned them 2-3 weeks ago) and FHS (somehow she knows how to do them), and on the beam they did cartwheels. I was like - you can do cartwheel on the beam???:eek: LOL
We decided to skip her normal practice today, since she already did 3 hours of gymnastics. She was a little upset that she didn't get to do the the fun camp stuff. I sorted everything out with the owner, so hopefully they'll send her to the right place tomorrow.
Just wanted to share. :)

On the other hand, since she kept up, maybe it will plant a seed with the coach that she belongs on the level 4 team. You do know that competing (new) level 3 is not required, right? Be prepared that after the "right" class, she may want to go back to the 4's.

Good Luck!

I really doubt she can do L4. Her BHS is still rough, bent knees and all, and she is still working on a few bar skills, and she might be able to do cartwheel on the beam, but still can't do her L3 dismount.
But she is going to do a lot of gymnastics this summer. Aside from her 9 hours in the gym, and camp this week, she is starting a different day camp next week (2 sessions 2 weeks each) also related to gymnastics. So, we'll see what happens by the end of August.

On the other hand, since she kept up, maybe it will plant a seed with the coach that she belongs on the level 4 team. You do know that competing (new) level 3 is not required, right? Be prepared that after the "right" class, she may want to go back to the 4's.

Good Luck!

That's fairly unlikely just due to a mix up. It sounds like she has made tremendous progress in the last few weeks, but the skills listed aren't unusual for a level 3 to be able to do. Bars is usually the gatekeeper. Again, well done on tremendous progress and I am sure there will be much more. But I just hate to see people get false hope like this (IreneKa seems to have a very realistic view though, so that is good).

Hopefully it will be a great motivator/confidence boost for your DD to show that she can "keep up" with most of the next level workout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back