Parents Mixed dominance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

kaloss

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My dd is a new level 3, I have noticed for a while that she switches sides for lots of skills, but never addressed it because I figured her coach would fix it if it was a problem. Last night, she had a private lesson and she was doing her floor routine and her coach noticed and started trying to fix everything. Now I have a confused little girl and I'm trying to help her at home. She leads with her right foot, but leaps left and is kind of doing the start of the routine backwards (left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg) so she is ending up with her left leg in front , so she does a left leg split jump, in stead of a right leg.Her coach suggested the hair scrunchie on her right ankle and lots of practice. Is there anything else I can do at home to help? She's the type of kid that does routines over and over again at home, so I need to make sure I'm reinforcing the right leg consistently. Anything else?

The acro skills in the routines can be reversed. So long as she does her dance elements on the same "side", she is fine.

So... For example. If she does her split jump, turn, leap, and split all "lefty", she can learn the routine lefty and still do her round off, hs roll and hs-bridge kick over "righty".

However, some individual coaches will not allow this. But the compulsory text does.

I will have to watch a video I have of her doing it, but I'm pretty sure she goes back and forth :) I wish I could figure out how to attach a video :/

I would video her private while doing the routine and possibly with a brightly colored hairband on her dominant foot and hand. Then you will be able to replay it for her doing it correctly. Not sure how old she is, but my DD learned the old 4 routines at age 5 (turned 6 spring and competed in fall) and had lots of right/ left issues (didn't help she wasn't totally sure on right/ left in general!!) and video helped her a LOT.

At DDs gym, they have to wear a hairband on their ankle to show their dominant foot. They are NOT allowed to switch back and forth. DD is a lefty tumbler, but balances better as a righty. So, she's had to start building her balance on her "bad" foot. It may be good to emphasize this now, before she gets a real dominance problem.

She seems to be doing a lot better after just 2 practices. She wore a hair band on her right ankle and when she is flitting around the house, I just reminded her. I think the biggest thing was the leaps, and they really are much prettier with her right leg :)

If that is your DD in the picture, she'll get a lot of cuteness points to make up for the confusion about which leg is leading!

It seems a loooong time ago indeed that my own cute DD was that little...

Sorry, off topic.

Yes, she's my peanut. I'm sure she 'll mix them up from time to time but miraculously, she seems to be making great strides with sticking to her right side :) Honestly, she is in constant motion, as of late it's been routine after routine...so we keep saying,"right hand, right foot" as she is moving to the next thing....and by golly, she might just have it!

I think the private was the best thing that could happen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back