Parents Move Ups Next Week

• Thread starter Thread starter Bella's Mom
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
B

Bella's Mom

This is Bella's last week on pre-team. :( and :)

Our gym has decided to eliminate our L3 team since there would only be three girls on it and there's also some issue our HC has with feeling like the L3 vault is counterproductive. So rather than moving to L3 like planned, Bella and her two classmates will move directly to L4.

I'm mostly excited because she is SO proud of herself. In her eyes, she "skipped" L3 rather than just got moved up to the first comp level. I'm a bit nervous too. I looked up the L4 routines on YouTube and Bella has some work cut out for her. She is just now getting her ROBHS and it isn't even close to being pretty. And she does NOT have splits yet. Not even close.

Congratulations Bella!! My DD thought the same thing too! She didn't compete because she was too young really, but let them think whatever I say!!:D

How exciting for her! I bet she'll have those skills before you know it. I look forward to hearing more about her level 4 journey! :)

Congratulations to Bella!

I've learned not to think too far ahead. By the time she needs them, I'm sure her routines will be competition-ready.

I was feeling the same this time last year. I remember thinking that there was no way DD would be able to learn all the routines. Bet Bella will surprise you like my daughter did me! Good luck to her as she moves up to level 4. :-)

Oh how exciting for both of you. I think I can identify with the ;( and ;)....they just grow up way too fast! Can't wait to hear all about her new adventure. ;) Congratulations to her and have fun meeting all the other families! ;)

That is exciting news! I bet she will amaze you with her progress in the coming months!

Good luck and well done. She should do fine with her routines.

How great for her to just move on up "past" L3.:D
I will tell you, my DD who is now 7 skipped L3 when she was 6. I think it was a little bit of a disadvantage for her especially on bars and vault. However, she has been training L4 for almost a year now (competing for a couple months) and things are FINALLY starting to come together (well, sort of). She takes longer than most to learn skills but now she has everything except the front hip circle. She is competing in her state meet this Saturday and I am looking forward to seeing her improvements since her last meet in February.
Your DD will get it. It's amazing what these little gymmies can accomplish!
Hope she has a BLAST!!!

Thanks for all the congrats and kind words. I do believe she will get her ROBHS because she is so close already and it really just needs some form corrections and confidence. But I really do NOT think she's gonna get front splits by meet season. She is still so far from flat. Probably a good 6 inches away from the floor. To help, I'm going to sign her up to what our gym calls "Shapes" class that works on flexibility, strength, and body shape. So between 6 hours of gym and 2 hours of shapes, hopefully she can increase her flexibility. Hopefully in time!

Good luck to her - hope she gets those splits.

My DD started from an easy place in that she had natural flexibility and strength and could do splits before ever doing gym. It must be tough for them to have to force that flexibility in gym - it HURTS to stretch to the degree necessary to finally get the splits!! I know I've never been able to do them, even as a child.

I'm sure she'll do great! My DD kind of skipped a level when our gym system switched from levels to 'steps' this year, she went from level 1 to step 3. She is not naturally flexible and I thought she would struggle with the back walk-over but eventually she got it and I'm so proud of her! She won't do BHS until step 4. If your DD already has her RO-BHS it sounds like she is well on her way!

I will tell you, my DD who is now 7 skipped L3 when she was 6. I think it was a little bit of a disadvantage for her especially on bars and vault. However, she has been training L4 for almost a year now (competing for a couple months) and things are FINALLY starting to come together (well, sort of). She takes longer than most to learn skills but now she has everything except the front hip circle.

See, this is what I am thinking too. A lot of gyms in our areas compete L3, so she won't have any competition under her belt. I'm not as worried about her skills as the "coming together" part and the whole knowing what to do at a competition. I'm worried she will act out or not understanding the saluting and other protocols. But I tend to be a worrier (annoying habit, I hate it) and I need to remember that her coaches are just wonderful. I mean I doubt Bella's the first kid they've had to teach such things too. LOL

Chillax Momma.

Good luck to her - hope she gets those splits.

My DD started from an easy place in that she had natural flexibility and strength and could do splits before ever doing gym. It must be tough for them to have to force that flexibility in gym - it HURTS to stretch to the degree necessary to finally get the splits!! I know I've never been able to do them, even as a child.

Bella is so envious of kids like yours! She wants her splits so much but doesn't want to have to work them because...duh...it hurts. I wish she would work on them at home by herself because I can tell that she holds tight in gym because she's worried that her coach is going to push her down a bit. At home she goes down a lot further than she does at the gym. Sometimes I've been tempted to encourage her to stretch and work on them every night but I'm afraid that would be considered coaching your kid or interfering and I want to respect our coach's wishes on that front.

Bella is so envious of kids like yours! She wants her splits so much but doesn't want to have to work them because...duh...it hurts. I wish she would work on them at home by herself because I can tell that she holds tight in gym because she's worried that her coach is going to push her down a bit. At home she goes down a lot further than she does at the gym. Sometimes I've been tempted to encourage her to stretch and work on them every night but I'm afraid that would be considered coaching your kid or interfering and I want to respect our coach's wishes on that front.

Actually, this is something that DD's coaches encouraged to those girls who have problems with splits. I bet your daughter's coaches wouldn't mind at all if she did stretching at home.

Sometimes I've been tempted to encourage her to stretch and work on them every night but I'm afraid that would be considered coaching your kid or interfering and I want to respect our coach's wishes on that front.

I'm sure that it would be fine for her to do some stretching at home, as long as she is careful about it and does it the right way, and as long as she wants to do it. I've been helping my DD work on flexibility at home and it has made a difference.

Sometimes I've been tempted to encourage her to stretch and work on them every night but I'm afraid that would be considered coaching your kid or interfering and I want to respect our coach's wishes on that front.

I would have a chat to the coach. Both DD and DS only managed to get splits after working on them night and morning at night. Both coaches had suggested to me that it would be helpful to "encourage" them to do this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back