Off Topic NEW car seat recommedations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
The new recommendation is for kids to be in booster seats until they are 4FT 9IN. A LOT of gymnasts are going to be riding in a booster seat well into their teens!!

[video]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42190931#42190931[/video]

I'm only 5'2''! My poor kids! My 12.5 yo son is only now clearing 80 lbs. and is barely 54 in. He is currently in the 3% for his age. How cool will he look driving to school?

He is stunned by his inevitable outcome... "Mom, please don't make me sit in a carseat!" DD just said buy him a PINK one! He really is very little though...

When my dd (age 8 and still riding in a booster) heard this on the news she said, "I'll be riding in a car seat until I'm 21!":D

My dd is only 50 inches and 8 years old, I told my husband the other night it will be great when she starts dating and we are like hold on let us get her booster seat:) For the record I am only 4'10"

According to this recommendation both my 9 and 11 year olds still belong in boosters. (My 11 year old will likely still need one when she takes her driver's test ~LOL!) The only problem I have is that when they sit in boosters in our third row, even with the headrest fully extended, the top of it is below the middle of their heads (if that makes sense). Therefore, even though they would be properly restrained according to their height, their head would not be properly supported if we were to have an accident. Anyone else have this problem???

Booster seats with backs on are the answer to the height issue. Some American made cars have very low headrests, even for regular height adults. We bought Britax booster seats and they are more than suitable for a child under 5 feet. The boosters that are just for their butts do not provide any lateral or rear protection.

This would mean that at thetime of the olypics Shawn johnson would still be in a booster seat. Olympic Gold medalist Shawn Johnson in a booster seat. anyone else think this was weird since you know she was driving to the gym right before the olympics...

Yeah wierd, but it just goes to show that cars are only built for the average people, and they are relatively unsafe for people outside those averages. Air bags save lives, but not if you are tiny, head rests literally save your neck, but only if you are not too tall. Seat belts are fab, but they only fit if you are the right height.

Solutions are adjustable drivers seats, some cars have them as standard, and seat belt positioners.

I guess the pediatric society is only advising for children, adults have to work it out for themselves.

haha true I just thought it was an interesting fact about shawn. My friend just got her license but in order to actually safley drive she has to sit on a phonebook.

I agree with Bog. If it is that much safer for short people to be in "booster" seats and short people are supposed to turn off airbags then standard car saftey features should be adjustable. My mom is less than 5ft and I am just 5ft 2.5in. I have the seatbelt in my drivers seat adjusted for me but in other cars it often cuts me at the neck. It seems to be Saftey for Tall not saftey for All. Then again as a lefty I have issues with other saftey precautions but that is a topic for another time.

Well not that standard settings are probably just as safe for people far off the height norm, but pediatric recommendations are also a developmental thing. For example with the rearfacing recommendations, a child might hit the weight limit fairly young, but a large 6 month old and small 14 month old probably do not have similar neck muscular development, for instance (just throwing out random numbers). So yeah, it's always hard if a kid is bigger than the norm too, they may outgrow the carseats rearfacing limit or the harness before it is developmentally ideal to forward face, or sit in a booster and keep their head up and the belt positioned safely, even if they are "big" enough.

Car seat recommendations have changed a lot. Driving here feels like a feat of monumental proportions, especially around rush hour, so if I had a kid I'd be doing my best to keep them rearfacing, harnessed, boostered, what have you for as long as possible in terms of the seat limits and their ability to tolerate it. When a baby rearfacing probably was barely done at all...by the time my younger sister was born 3-4 years later, it was done for younger infants, but frequently still people placed car seats in the front seat (no air bags, though). Until I was probably around 6 or 7, we could sit in the front seat as kids, but then all this information came out about the severity of air bags and it was back to the backseat until we were teens. In fact I was probably spared grave injury in the one crash I was in, since I was sitting in the back (driver's side) rather than the passenger side, which was hit with enough force to total the car and completely cave in that side. Although, that was largely dumb luck.

I better call my 35 yr old sister in law...she still needs to be in a booster seat...lol

Imagine all the booster seats needed when going on a gymnast road trip (driving to a competition/meet).
And travelling to nationals...cool, we need to pack the booster seat!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back