WAG New Grips and Peeling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Abikuzdzal

Gymnast
Reaction score
I have been using my grips for about over a year and 1/2. They are the Just Right grips from Gibson. I have been recently peeling off the bar when doing things like giants, baby giants, cast aways and sometimes tap swings. I was thinking maybe it was my dowel on my grip getting worn down and that I needed to get new grips. I am re gripping well and my coach doesn’t know what the problem is because this just started happening this month and I was fine before. I am wondering if I should get the Reisport grips so that it covers more of my hand and the dowel is bigger. I looked on Gibsons website and saw that there were 5 levels of grips and I had the one that was levels 1-4. Right now I am working on level 7 giants. The Reisport grip are levels 5+. Also, the Just Right grips I have right now are size small and a little too small so I was thinking of getting the large. Am I peeling off the bar because my grips are worn out? Do I need the Reisport grips? Do I need a bigger size? What grips should I get?

We can't necessarily answer any of these questions. You should ask your coach if they look worn out. Your coach should also be able to tell you if they are too small. Different gymnasts like different things in grips so the brand and everything is personal (or gym) preference. When looking at grips online, make sure you measure your hands the way they tell you to, then follow the size chart. If you are purchasing in person, ask for help in finding the right size.
I hope you can get help to find the solution. Good luck.

I have been using my grips for about over a year and 1/2. They are the Just Right grips from Gibson. I have been recently peeling off the bar when doing things like giants, baby giants, cast aways and sometimes tap swings. I was thinking maybe it was my dowel on my grip getting worn down and that I needed to get new grips. I am re gripping well and my coach doesn’t know what the problem is because this just started happening this month and I was fine before. I am wondering if I should get the Reisport grips so that it covers more of my hand and the dowel is bigger. I looked on Gibsons website and saw that there were 5 levels of grips and I had the one that was levels 1-4. Right now I am working on level 7 giants. The Reisport grip are levels 5+. Also, the Just Right grips I have right now are size small and a little too small so I was thinking of getting the large. Am I peeling off the bar because my grips are worn out? Do I need the Reisport grips? Do I need a bigger size? What grips should I get?
On swinging this happened to me when my grips got worn out. As a L9 gymnast I get new grips every 2-3 months. I personally can’t handle grips to worn in. At L7 I replaced them once every 4-6 months I believe since it’s less swinging. My fav brand is Reisport so I highly recommended buying their grips. Great quality and coverage to nicely grip the bar!

I've used Reisport grips since I started wearing grips and I absolutely love them! With that being said, if you are using a wire brush and water on your grips often they will stretch out, not nessarily wear down. When I start peeling or slipping more I can tell my grips are starting to stretch out and it's time for a new pair. So I would say if you have been using the same pair for over a year and you are all of the sudden pealing I don't think it would hurt to get a new pair... But I highly recommend Reisport ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back