Parents Not such a good comp today...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
Reaction score
My DD missed her previous comp because of her hamstring injury. Her hamstring seems to have recovered at last and she was ready to compete this morning. It wasn't a good day for her, she fell off the beam and got a very bad beam score, and her vault was a bit strange and below her usual standard (I think she lost a little concentration because she was still upset about the beam). On the plus side, her bar was okay and she did a very nice floor routine. She came 4th to last AA out of 17 in her division.

She told me she felt like crying when she fell off the beam, but she didn't cry, she managed to hold it in and finish the comp and didn't even cry afterwards. She was pretty down, though. I tried to focus on the good floor routine to help her think about the positive instead of only the negative. This is the first time she's fallen off the beam at a comp. Some of her team-mates have fallen off the beam or had other disasters at other comps. I guess it was her turn today.

Her next comp in five weeks time will be her last of the season. There is supposed to be a passing score to move to the next step, it has been set very high and I expect it will be revised downward somewhat, but I have no idea how much. They are supposed to score above the threshold twice in the season, but they only do four comps and she missed one because of injury and then messed up today, the next comp is her last chance to try to get a good score. Most of her teammates are in the same boat (apart from the injury).

The idea of the pass mark is to make sure that girls have the basic skills before being allowed to move up to harder skills that progress on from the basic skills, but these girls do have the skills quite well, they are not perfect, but I don't think they are bad enough to hold them back a whole year. If they are not allowed to move up to step 4, I'm hoping that our gym will move them up to step 4 for training, even if they have to compete step 3 again next year. If they have to train step 3 skills all over again for another year, they'll be really bored!

Aw, I'm sorry! My dd has certainly had her share of bad meets, as I am sure most gymnasts have. It has to be more frustrating when you have so few meets to begin with and she missed 1 due to injury. I hope she shakes it off and comes out in 5 weeks with an awesome meet.

Poor kid! Also hope that the next meet goes much better for her.

Thanks, everyone. They started training some new skills yesterday, so that was quite exciting for her, and made a change from practising their comp routines over and over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back