only up from here?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter had her first level 8 meet of the season and to say the least it wasn't pretty. She was all geared up the night before and set her goal at a 35AA. However, we had to leave the house by 6am and drive 1.5 hours. This is her 3rd year at 8 and she scores high 33's to mid 34's. She has many level 9 skills but coach doesn't seem to want to push her. Last year she competed alone most of the year due to other team mates being injured. This meet she has 4 team mates!
Floor was first and she looked ok. She has never really had great form 8.5
Vault-tuck tsuk into pit with mats. She was one on the few at the meet to stay on her feet. 8.7 (actually thought this was too high but can't argue with that!)
Bars- here is where things go way wrong. She fell on 2nd giant, she gets back up to giant again and falls over on cast handstand. Then she has to get back up to dismount but has a hard time not going from a giant. There must have been several deductions for "extra" moves. Scored 6.1
Beam- got just as ugly, 3 falls :( scored 6.95
AA- 30.250 not quite a 35
She was bummed but she doesn't beat herself up. She has also been struggling with Severs Disease and pretty bad pain in her Achilles Tendon.
Next meet is in 3 weeks. I hope she can move past this one!

Well done for floor and vault! Sounds like bars and beam just went very wrong this time. Should be all up from here. Nice that she has team mates this year. How did they get on. Hope her Severs eases too. It is very hard to keep going with constant pain.

I agree with gymnut, sounds like a fluke day on beam & bars happens sometimes. I am glad she doesnt beat herself up about it. severs can be a downer, constant pain is just no fun. I bet she hits that 35 AA

I'm sure she will do better next time. Seems like nerves just got the best of her.

Does she have more meets far away? I always book a hotel if I know dd has an early session and we are more than an hour away. I think that long drive is too much time to think and the sleep just isn't the same in the car.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

First meets of a second or third season at the same level are hard. The expectations are high and sometimes bad meets just happen. Your daughter is lucky to have parents with such a positive attitude. Kudos to you!

She did fine. And did good on floor and vault. As you said only up from here. Glad she doesnt let it get to her too much.

Sometimes the expectations are set too high. I've seen some bar routines that just get way off track and honestly after the 2nd attempt at the giants its better to just salute and walk away. The frustration level just goes way up trying to get the HB part of the routine to happen. Good for vault. You said she was flipping into a pit??? I've never seen that at a meet.
Still very early in the season so good to get the kinks out now.

Aw, sorry to hear about the trouble on bars and beam. Bad meets happen. It stinks when it happens to your child...but hey, let's just say that she got it over with, and the rest of the meets will be nothing but good! Like you said...the only place to go is UP and its probably good that the next meet is coming up rather quickly. Good luck to her and be sure to let us know how it goes!

Sometimes the expectations are set too high. I've seen some bar routines that just get way off track and honestly after the 2nd attempt at the giants its better to just salute and walk away. The frustration level just goes way up trying to get the HB part of the routine to happen. Good for vault. You said she was flipping into a pit??? I've never seen that at a meet.
Still very early in the season so good to get the kinks out now.

This meets stacks mats in the pit and they are allowed to use that vault or regular floor landing. Only one squad used regular floor.
Great opinion on bars because she was definitely frustrated as I think she expected that to be one of her best scores. In your opinion should she not make the 2nd attempt on the giant? Any idea what the deductions would be if she just saluted after the fall (completed 1 giant) and missed dismount only? Just curious. The girls were complaining that the bars were really dry. She had very similar trouble on these bars 2 years ago.
Oh well on to the next meet!

I've seen many coaches give the girl 2 tries on bars and if they can't get the giants into the dismount, just tell them to salute and call it a day. Bars really is so much timing and flow---once that flow gets stopped trying to get it going again is really tough. I've seen that frustration and almost panic in my own gymmie. I'm sure it was tough for you to watch her. Tell her next time, no thinking about scores----it will get better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back