MAG Orthotic supports

• Thread starter Deleted member 10727
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
D

Deleted member 10727

I took my two boys to the podiatrist. My older son (L5, age 11) has been complaining of pain after gym in his heels. SEVER'S, and he has flat feet, tight Achilles tendon, and hyper mobile ankles. A really bad combo!!

My younger son (L7, 9 yr old) has extremely hyper mobile ankles, and if he continued without strengthening and support, she said he would damage himself. No flat feet. He was also DXed with the first stages of Sever's, but said his super flexible calves along with really strong feet has saved him. Along with his balking. ;)

I have no idea yet what to do for my older son, but a team mate brought in a cheetah support, and my younger son tried it and loved it. He was so excited and he felt great tumbling in it. The coach wants him to have shoes, not the cheetahs. They would have to have inserts, but no one seems to have any idea what to get for inside the shoe. Or what specific shoes I should get.

Ideas? Any ideas....

I went ahead with coach approval and bought some cheetahs I found for a good price for YDS until we can figure out the shoes. I will probably get some for ODS too, but they are really hard to get on, and ODS will not like that at all. He has wide feet, too. Is there an alternative?

You can get cheetas that Velcro on rather then slip on. They don't seem to be as common - but my son used them when he needed heel cups before. They are easier to get on and off but seem to work the same.

DD was for years in the Cheetahs -- they sell a version that is sized and slips on, requiring no tape. Highly recommend. If Severs is an issue, you could also try the X brace. For a long time she was in both and it really seemed to help.

For Sever's my PT friend recommended the heal cups you can buy in a drug store. For inside sneakers for walking around, and inside my other ds's soccer cleats. I'm not sure about inserts for shoes while doing gymnastics though.

Thank you! The x brace looks pretty good! Same with the inserts. I really need to have the coaches take a look and see what they think works best for each boy.

My older boy needs the most support, but he has no issues with tumbling, beyond being heavy and awkward looking. My younger boy is having loads of tumbling issues mostly related to his feeling unstable or out of control.

For Sever's my PT friend recommended the heal cups you can buy in a drug store. For inside sneakers for walking around, and inside my other ds's soccer cleats. I'm not sure about inserts for shoes while doing gymnastics though.

We got ODS some heel inserts for his shoes, but we can't get him to wear shoes at home without nagging. We have nothing for him for gym, and that is a concern.

It's also a bad time of year to try to find tumbling shoes. Suggestions?

My DD wore her cheetah cup right under her tramp shoes. No way she could have even competed last year without it. Why do the coaches not approve of them?

I am not sure. I think they thought he didn't have Sever's and dint need the support, but then the second doc added Sever's to the hyper-flexible ankles.

I sent an email asking all of this and for a recommendation, but never got a response. I have had a stomach bug all week, so I haven't been in, either.

I'm really concerned about my ODS, as he is the one with pain. We have nothing for him.

So, D has some issues with flat feet. I bought some gel heel cups for his regular shoes to help. That did help with teh heel pain a lot. He also wears an ankle brace on one ankle, and sometimes tapes the arches. The cheetah cups might help too..

I use "powersteps" in the day in my sneakers. That won't help directly to gymnastics but my physical therapist explained that these relieve heel, shin, foot and ankle pain throughout the day. Then by the time I have practice they feel a little better. I know girls who love both x-braces and cheetah's.... maybe someone on your team has them? And your kids can try them?

My dd has been wearing her cheetah cup for at least a year now, including meets. It is the only thing that is helping. Her coach now wants her out of the cup for the beam (only on for floor and vault). My dd is angry at this change, and insists it still hurts on the dismount and leaps... I had forgotten about the x-brace. I think I'll get her one of those as well to see if it helps.

She has also been receiving PT for a different issue, and while there he has been working the severs. Scraping, stretching, strength exercises as well as TENS.

My dd has been wearing her cheetah cup for at least a year now, including meets. It is the only thing that is helping. Her coach now wants her out of the cup for the beam (only on for floor and vault). My dd is angry at this change, and insists it still hurts on the dismount and leaps... I had forgotten about the x-brace. I think I'll get her one of those as well to see if it helps.

She has also been receiving PT for a different issue, and while there he has been working the severs. Scraping, stretching, strength exercises as well as TENS.

Ugh, what level is she? If she's doing BHS, it's very silly to take her out of the heel cup for beam. Landing a BHS on a beam hurts more than on floor or landing a FHS vault, according to my daughter! And yes, I could see there being an issue with leaps if she's doing them right and getting some real amplitude!

Ugh, what level is she? If she's doing BHS, it's very silly to take her out of the heel cup for beam. Landing a BHS on a beam hurts more than on floor or landing a FHS vault, according to my daughter! And yes, I could see there being an issue with leaps if she's doing them right and getting some real amplitude!

She is still lower level (L3) but training L4 now. The cartwheel, and the leaps apparently hurt, as does the handstand to dismount - according to her. I just ordered the x-brace today, so I'm hoping that will help. I'm also planning on following up on why exactly the coach wants the cup off on beam. For example, does she feel my dd doesn't really need it? Or was it a safety issue with something. Heck - she says even the bar dismount hurts it, as well as that glide/hard stop at the beginning...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back