Parents pain when cast comes off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
DD gets her cast off next week! YAY!! How much pain is she going to be in when she gets it off?

When she was 2yo, she had a full leg cast, and cried for a few days after it came off. However, that was a full break, and her leg was completely immobilized.

Now, her walking cast only goes to her knee, and she has tons of mobility. Besides the awful smell......you would never know she had a cast on. She's constantly running, jumping, cartwheeling, etc. I'm somewhat concerned it's not healing properly.

Anyway, she seems to have full use now........and the fracture was a chip on the ankle, or growth plate....not sure. What kind of healing time are we looking at once it's off?

She has gym the same day she gets her cast off (not going). But considering a softball game the next day and gym the day after that.

Thoughts?

My son had a cast not to long ago for a break on his thumb (growth plate) he's not a gymnast but he does play baseball. He was in a bit of pain a little after his cast was removed and had trouble gripping things.
My advice is to let her train as much as she can tolerate then give her either Motrin or Tylenol for any discomfort she may have after training :)

6 weeks and she'll have some pain until that time is up. ROM takes time after being in a cast.:)

When my son came out of his cast for his finger (growth plate too) he never complained about it hurting. he just had to work on the range of motion. His grip was pretty weak for a while and he couldn't fully close his hand either. For his fractured ankel we opted for the boot (they offered a cast or boot - after that horrible smell of the arm cast coming off, we went for the boot this time!) and he never really complained of much pain when taking the boot off each night.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back