Parents Parent Merit Badges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gwenmom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I've decided we need a parent merit badge system like the scouts. Badges like:

First Meet survivor
Kip
X number of hours volunteered
Travel Meet Chaperone
X number of grey hairs from gymnastics

Anyone have suggestions for more badges?

Got child through first major injury badge
Got child through "my best friend moved up and I didn't!" badge
Got child through "I moved up and my best friend didn't!" badge
CGM jujitsu defense badge
First curse word captured on videotape at meet badge
Cried at the meet because I was so proud of my kid badge
Talked spouse/partner down off the "OMG, my daughter/son was totally ROBBED by that JUDGE!" cliff badge
Permanent brain damage badge from hearing one too many repetitions of compulsory floor music

Booster Club Board Member
Cheers for Whole Team
Keeps Mouth Shut After Bad Meet

I think parents should get an award for each level their kid achieves (or repeats, for that matter) because each year brings its own challenges for the parents and not just the kid. And in some ways, I think it may be harder for parents who do manage to stay out of it rather than watching every practice and peppering kids with questions about the minutiae of every skill/practice. As parents, we want to fix things. Standing back and realizing we can't (and learning that lesson over and over again) may be the hardest thing of all.

Maybe, rather than badges, we can earn credits that we can cash in for fabulous prizes...
Ergonomic seat cushion
Pocket flask
Pea shooter for those people who stand up in front of you just as your kid starts competing
Prescription for Valium
Voucher good for 15 minutes direct communication with coach

First time they flip a vault ; do a bail on bars in competition; do a hiccup on bars in competition; any kind of flipping on floor/beam .
All I can think of at the moment and sound more like a college drinking game lol.

Prize for biting tongue when hearing *****iness from CGM instead of retaliating

Oops hadn't realised I'd get censored....sorry folks x

Booster Club Board Member
Cheers for Whole Team
Keeps Mouth Shut After Bad Meet

I think parents should get an award for each level their kid achieves (or repeats, for that matter) because each year brings its own challenges for the parents and not just the kid. And in some ways, I think it may be harder for parents who do manage to stay out of it rather than watching every practice and peppering kids with questions about the minutiae of every skill/practice. As parents, we want to fix things. Standing back and realizing we can't (and learning that lesson over and over again) may be the hardest thing of all.

Maybe, rather than badges, we can earn credits that we can cash in for fabulous prizes...
Ergonomic seat cushion
Pocket flask
Pea shooter for those people who stand up in front of you just as your kid starts competing
Prescription for Valium
Voucher good for 15 minutes direct communication with coach
I like that Idea!!! Since the family can't come to the meets, they view the routines through the eyes of my camera. When it comes to recording routines, nothing drives me crazier than someone who 1) walks in front of me while my camera is up and the red light is on... 2) then decides to stop between me and the action to look around or talk to someone.

I have been known to say something to get them to move. I do not leave my seat if there is anyone competing on any event... and if they are warming up, I hurry past the crowd (or go to the back asap). I do not linger... if a friend gets my attention, I sit or go behind (making sure I am not blocking anyone who is behind my friend).

- Staying glued in your seat when DD falls of the beam and gets a nasty bite.... And on video you hear the entire crowds breath intake
- watching the full beam routine complete with saltos and aerials and not looking away

Have I mentioned I find beam scary? ;)

oooh, I'm team hairstylist, still do hair for the old club girls too if they happen to be there !

Drop and Dash badge (picture: child and gym bag being tossed out door of minivan)
Schedule Juggling badge (picture: parent juggling leotard, ballet shoe, piano, soccer ball, briefcase, and dinner plate)
Check Writing badge (picture: money tree)
Preventing Home Gymnastics badge(picture: trampoline--or jr. kip bar?--with red circle and line through it)

I like that Idea!!! Since the family can't come to the meets, they view the routines through the eyes of my camera. When it comes to recording routines, nothing drives me crazier than someone who 1) walks in front of me while my camera is up and the red light is on... 2) then decides to stop between me and the action to look around or talk to someone.

My oldest dd had her first meet last October and everyone was sitting and watching the earlier rounds but when it came to dd's turn on the floor beam they still had a group warming up on the vault (spring board on the floor and crash mat) and also people getting up out of their seats, dd being really tiny for her age (aged 10 and 106 cm tall) it was hard to see her routing from beginning to end and people were in the way, it was hard to video it even after I had shifted my position, I had to bite my tongue as I didn't want dd's first gymnastics video ruined by my shouting at other people.

I let OH video the last one so I could actually watch it and there is lost of shouting as he tells people to get out of the way - had a lot of editing to do on that one

I let OH video the last one so I could actually watch it and there is lost of shouting as he tells people to get out of the way - had a lot of editing to do on that one

lol

We have our first competition of the year (oldest dd's second competition) in February, a floor and vault one in a gym in the London area under London Gymnastics, I hope I get a better view this time when it is dd's time to compete lol

How about one for being able to adequately do meet hair? Meet hair is my nemesis!
Instead of using hair products from the drug store, shop at the hardware store. That stuff holds much better (can you tell I'm the dad, not the mom?). DD is really looking forward to the away meets where I'm the only parent!

There needs to be a special badge for those of us that have never seen a routine with our own eyes. I'm always videographer, so all routines are watched on a 3" screen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back