WAG petitioning to come back to USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymKatsMom

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter is in a club in Okinawa japan.. we are all military families, us citizens. The girls have done an FIG meet but no USAG meets, some in over 1.5 years, some never. We are thinking of going to a USAG meet in hawaii in Jan. What is the procedure to petition USAG to enter a meet at a level other than 4? One of our girls is 15 and for sure could compete at level 7. 4 of our girls have skills to compete new level 6.
We don't want to waste their time or our money learning compulsory routines.
Thanks!

it is not necessary to do so. your coach will decide what level to compete at other than compulsory. i'm assuming it will be Joe Rapp's meet. contact him to learn what levels he will be providing at the competition. your coach must then look at our code to see where your kids will be the most successful. your coach will take care of entries with the host gym.

Hawaiian Island Twisters and click on "gip" invitational. :)

What if they want usag level "status"? Do you think it would be better to be or not be a usag athlete?If they compete at say level 6 and then score above the minimum, can they then compete at the next meet at level 7?

What about the girls that have never done compulsory, and are at that level... Now they are supposed to start at 4, Can you petition to start at 5?

it doesn't matter in what you're asking. your coach will decide where to place them. if they don't perform the compulsories correctly they'll get hammered just like anyone else here in the states. if your optionals don't meet the minimum requirements per that level, they'll get hammered just the same and just like everyone else.

there are no petitions that you are asking about. the coach puts them in where they feel it is appropriate. Japan doesn't follow USAG guidelines. they follow FIG.

the only time a petition/permission is required is when the competition is "FIG" sanctioned. then, the federation in that country must go thru their own organization and thru FIG.

understand? :)

Okay.. I really appreciate your time.
And. I totally understand what you are saying for Japanese or any foreign athlete wanting to compete at a usag meet. And maybe that is how we will go about the meet. That might be most beneficial to the girls.
But we are a USAG gym. We are on us soil. (On a us military base) And some of the girls are USA G members. Most will go back to US gyms either next summer or the summer after. And want to be able to have the "credentials"
to prove their mobility.
And... our coach is saying, per the j.o. committee, that everyone must start at level 4. She has just come back from the national compulsory meeting in reno. I'm trying to figure out the procedure to go about making sure those that have the skills to compete at higher levels do so. And it maybe as easy as just competing at that meet at the level the girls are ready for.
So... if anyone can help with the procedure...I have already emailed Hawaii's state advisory committee chair, but have not heard back from her.

now i get you. US Military Base. and the girls are USAG registered athletes. okay, then. if the kids have never competed before in a USAG sanctioned event, then yes, they must "enter" the USAG competitive stream by starting at Level 4.

if the kids have skills at a higher level, and have never competed in a USAG sanctioned competition and had not entered the stream as "old level 5", then those kids must also compete and enter at Level 4 if you want the kids to have what you are calling "credentials" to show their mobility. you can not bypass the compulsory system and just enter optionals or Excel. no can do. no matter where you live, and if the kids are USAG registered athletes, they MUST enter the USAG competitive stream in the new Level 4. from there they receive their mobility scores.

and if they enter as "foreign" athletes, and i can't see how they can do that, and then come back to the States, regardless of what level they competed as as foreign athletes, they will STILL have to enter the USAG competitive stream as Level 4's. so no, THAT won't be the most beneficial to the girls. you really ought to let your Coach handle this stuff so that you don't muck it up with the Host gym in Hawaii. honestly, you will aggravate them and they will end up telling you to have the Coach contact them.

there is no "procedure to figure out". the coach will enter the kids where they must be entered based on whether they have competed in a USAG sanctioned competition before, or not. unless you are a coach and a registered Professional Member, you have no say in the matter. i don't mean that disrespectfully, it only means that there is nothing you can do, or decisions that you may make, if you are not a USAG registered Professional Member.

finally, the rules are a bit different if you are a foreign athlete competing FIG and move to the States. that's a whole other can of worms, suffice, if Mustafina moved here and was allowed to represent the USA and was released by Russia and approved by the IOC and FIG, she would not have to enter Level 4 as a first time registered USAG athlete. :)

III. Alternative Competition Experience/Entry/Mobility Policies
Alternative Competition Experience Policies
A. Any athlete who has previously competed in the Jr. Olympic Program, but has been inactive for one or more years, must
contact their State Administrative Committee Chairman for proper entry regulations. The options are:
1. Remain at the level at which they last competed.
2. Move up one level if they achieved the minimum mobility score during their last season,
3. Move down one numerical level, without petitioning.Chapter Two: Junior Olympic Competitive Program
B. Athletes whose competitive experience has been outside of the USA Gymnastics structure may petition the State
Administrative Committee for entry into Level 6 or below and must prove their proficiency at that level.
C. Any gymnast who has had previous competitive experience in any system (including USA Gymnastics) and who is a
minimum of 14 years of age OR is at least a freshman in High School is eligible to petition the State Administrative
Committee for entry into Level 7. The petition must be accompanied by a video that demonstrates her skill level.

ANd.. I'm for sure not going to contact the host gym or anything like that. I'm really just trying to learn this..I figured this was a safe enough forum. I know i'm just crazy overzealous gym mom! The above rule in the 2012-2013 rules and guidelines is what is driving me NUTS...BUT>>> IF that's what we have to do then i guess that's what we have to do.. I guess i just want to understand why this rule doesn't apply. Seams like it exactly is what has happened to our girls.

i understand your frustration. let's say the girl has a double back on floor cause she is a great tumbler. but this same girl can't do a kip. and don't laugh people, this is a real phenomena.

a double back (a "D") can't be performed until level 9. and if she can't "kip" that's less than level 4. so maybe upon "video" that SAC decides she can enter as an Excel gymnast.

there are just too many hypothetical scenarios for you to try to make sense of. this is why the coach will have to do it. nonetheless, when they return to the states, and if they previously competed in the USAG stream, it's a lot easier to resume levels at where you were.

btw, does the name Chris Placki mean anything to you there on the Okinawa base?

now i get you. US Military Base. and the girls are USAG registered athletes. okay, then. if the kids have never competed before in a USAG sanctioned event, then yes, they must "enter" the USAG competitive stream by starting at Level 4.

if the kids have skills at a higher level, and have never competed in a USAG sanctioned competition and had not entered the stream as "old level 5", then those kids must also compete and enter at Level 4 if you want the kids to have what you are calling "credentials" to show their mobility. you can not bypass the compulsory system and just enter optionals or Excel. no can do. no matter where you live, and if the kids are USAG registered athletes, they MUST enter the USAG competitive stream in the new Level 4. from there they receive their mobility scores.

and if they enter as "foreign" athletes, and i can't see how they can do that, and then come back to the States, regardless of what level they competed as as foreign athletes, they will STILL have to enter the USAG competitive stream as Level 4's. so no, THAT won't be the most beneficial to the girls. you really ought to let your Coach handle this stuff so that you don't muck it up with the Host gym in Hawaii. honestly, you will aggravate them and they will end up telling you to have the Coach contact them.

there is no "procedure to figure out". the coach will enter the kids where they must be entered based on whether they have competed in a USAG sanctioned competition before, or not. unless you are a coach and a registered Professional Member, you have no say in the matter. i don't mean that disrespectfully, it only means that there is nothing you can do, or decisions that you may make, if you are not a USAG registered Professional Member.

finally, the rules are a bit different if you are a foreign athlete competing FIG and move to the States. that's a whole other can of worms, suffice, if Mustafina moved here and was allowed to represent the USA and was released by Russia and approved by the IOC and FIG, she would not have to enter Level 4 as a first time registered USAG athlete. :)

What about for kids who are not currently registered as USAG athletes who are training at a gym that isn't currently registered with USA Gymnastics? If said gym wanted to compete in the USAG system, would the athletes all need to be entered into compulsories for mobility?

What about for kids who are not currently registered as USAG athletes who are training at a gym that isn't currently registered with USA Gymnastics? If said gym wanted to compete in the USAG system, would the athletes all need to be entered into compulsories for mobility?

Well we send girls to the US to compete all the time and with the recent changes to the Ontario system, they were trying to make it even easier to do so. The coaches just look at the athlete and see where their current skill level would put them in the US system.

I don't know if it makes a difference if your club is on US soil or not though, and obviously we don't compete for things like State championships, just Invitational meets.

I know it's not a real answer to your question, but just letting you know that people from other countries can just register and compete without joining the USAG.

Yes, "said gym" is on US soil :) and has been competing AAU and several "fun" or "non sanctioned" meets each year. We are the only team in attendance at these meets that doesn't compete in the usag system.

Our gym went under new management 10 years ago. We finished out that season and stopped competing usag and started "taking it easy." In the interim, our program has grown tremendously and we're looking for something more competitive for our team kids....

Well we send girls to the US to compete all the time and with the recent changes to the Ontario system, they were trying to make it even easier to do so. The coaches just look at the athlete and see where their current skill level would put them in the US system.

I don't know if it makes a difference if your club is on US soil or not though, and obviously we don't compete for things like State championships, just Invitational meets.

I know it's not a real answer to your question, but just letting you know that people from other countries can just register and compete without joining the USAG.

We compete exactly the same way.

i don't recognize the name Chris placki... but i've only been here since last august. Our new coach, who also just got here last aug, is our only USAG coach.. the rest of the coaches are contractors usually with gymnastics backgrounds. but she is trying very hard to get the girls to the levels they need to be at, so that we can compete in hawaii. Maybe trying to get a judge to come here and sanction a mobility meet. Easier to bring one person that 10 girls and their parents to hawaii for only mobility. It's all very up in the air right now. Plus our girls only get 6 hours a week in the gym, do a lot of conditioning on their own.. but trying to make the best of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back