Please help! (acrobatic gymnastics)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

shelbyshoe

Hi guys, so i'm 16 and I do acrobatic gymnastics. I'm a level 8 trio top.. I'm quite small for my age, 5"1 and so yeah. I weigh about 93 pounds.. I barely eat junk food etc because i'm expected to keep my weight down since i'm a top and am lifted, thrown and my weight has to be carried.
Last week we had a weigh-in and my coach told me I needed to keep my weight lower in order to keep being a top. I'm getting sick of this, I never get to eat what I want and there's so much pressure to keep thin and light. I try to avoid unhealthy foods and foods high in calories etc. I love the sport and love being a top.. I don't want to quit but I don't think this is right...
please help me, i don't know what to do..

Generally, we don't allow weight threads here. We have a nutrition thread, but it sounds like that's not what you need, at least not specifically.

All I can say is this: I recommend against doing anything that is unhealthy; if you're not sure about that, ask a doctor.

I'm going to have to lock this thread for now while the staff discusses it -- we may or may not reopen the thread later.

After further discussion, we are reopening this thread, but we'll be keeping a close eye on it.

make your coach one of those pies like they had in the movie "the help". :)

I totally agree with the general policy of avoiding the topic of weight on this site. But, Shelbyshoe, I am concerned about you. Acro tops are in a very unique situation from other gymnasts. In other gymnastics disciplines it is rightly said that any body type can succeed. But an acro top must be small and light enough to be thrown and lifted by other gymnasts. So, from my observation, they are at a far greater risk for developing eating disorders because they feel the pressure from not only themselves and their coach but from their teammates to stay small and light.

You should definately talk to you doctor about this. He or she should be able to give you advise on what is a healthy weight for your age, height and body type. And a doctor's report may help you with your coach(unless he/she is a total nut job, which can't be ruled out) If you feel any pressure from your coaches or teammates to go below what your doctor considers a healthy weight, you must speak up and stand up for yourself. I know you are young, and it will be hard, but it is YOUR health and life that is at stake. And I know you love your sport, but it is not worth risking your health for. And from reading your post, it sounds like you recognize this. Good luck, and stay strong!

Well, it sounds like you are kind of starting to resent not being able to eat what you want to. You are going to need to reward yourself at times or you are going to get really tired of it!! Maybe you can try to eat very healthy during the week and reward yourself by not being quite as strict on weekends. Having higher calorie, carb days is actually good for your metabolism. There is a thing called carb cycling where you have a lower carb day followed by a higher carb day. Not all junk carbs but healthy carbs. Hope you get this all figured out......

Middle Base, Perhaps?

Hi guys, so i'm 16 and I do acrobatic gymnastics. I'm a level 8 trio top.. I'm quite small for my age, 5"1 and so yeah. I weigh about 93 pounds.. I barely eat junk food etc because i'm expected to keep my weight down since i'm a top and am lifted, thrown and my weight has to be carried.
Last week we had a weigh-in and my coach told me I needed to keep my weight lower in order to keep being a top. I'm getting sick of this, I never get to eat what I want and there's so much pressure to keep thin and light. I try to avoid unhealthy foods and foods high in calories etc. I love the sport and love being a top.. I don't want to quit but I don't think this is right...
please help me, i don't know what to do..

Hey girl, have you ever thought about being a middle? That way, you still get to do the cool parts of tricks and you're not just holding the whole thing up. Know what I mean? And then you'll probably even be encouraged to grow and get bigger and stronger. But if you go about it the right way, you can keep all that flexibility and skill too!
Hope I could help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back