WAG Refund for meet cost?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Committed

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Is there ever a time when you can get your meet fee back after your gym has already submitted and paid for your gymnast? For instance, telling the gym that you will not be at a meet (early March) that takes place in mid May?
Or are submitted fees lost forever?

It depends on the gym hosting the meet or your gym. Many meets have scratch dates. I'd check sooner than later so you don't miss the scratch date.

Most of the meets where I had to scratch, a full refund was given when we provided a doctor's note. Although one time I was pulled out for a vacation (I was EXTREMELY upset :mad:) and we got an 80% refund (this also was very last minute).

About two months in advance sounds pretty safe to me. Depends on the gym though! Pray the coordinator isn't a grouch!

It depends on the meet host. We have had gyms refund us up to the day of the meet...and we have been denied two months before the meet.

I looked at the flyer and it shows a refund date. Do I contact them directly? I asked my gym for a refund and they told me "no" because they submitted the $$.

I looked at the flyer and it shows a refund date. Do I contact them directly? I asked my gym for a refund and they told me "no" because they submitted the $$.

It is up to your gym...do not contact the host gym yourself...unless you want to be kicked out of your gym.

It is up to your gym...do not contact the host gym yourself...unless you want to be kicked out of your gym.

DDs last day is Friday :D......... but point taken. I will talk to the HC this time and try to getting our $90 back.

You would go through your gym first. If they refuse, then you can decide whether to try yourself, but I personally wouldn't go behind the gym's back. Many gyms just don't want to deal with the hassle of asking for a refund and have it in their policies that once a meet had been paid for, the money will not be refunded.

Do not contact the host gym yourself! This is considered bad etiquette and could follow you to another gym. If your current gym's policy is not to pursue refunds after submitting the fees, well, that is the policy of the gym you decided to participate in this year whether it's what you prefer or not. It's not the host gym's fault and they won't refund a parent. By the way, gyms submit one check for meet fees to the host gym so they would have to refund your gym first anyway. It is not dealt with on a parent level.

Many gyms in our area have team assessments for the season to cover associated competition costs and that is non-refundable. The explanation is the fee is to cover coaches expenses, travel, meet fees, extended season meets (regionals, etc) Since there is that outlay of expenses beyond just the meet fees, they spread the costs across all team members and budget to the total.

Yeah, do not contact the host gym yourself. This is *very* frowned upon around me. If you ask your gym about it and they agree to try and get your money back, then there is a chance, but again, let them deal w/ it. If your gym says it is their policy to not refund any meet fee payments, then you are out of luck (even if the host gym's flyer lists a refund date).

DDs gym works this way - every girl of the same level pays the same total amount for meet fees, and they are non-refundable...it doesn't matter if you know you are going to a miss a meet months and months in advance, and doesn't matter what the reason is. Many parents have eaten meet fees at our gym over the years for various reasons (vacations, conflicts, injury)...it is the type of thing where you just have to respect the policy of your gym.

Even if your gym gets the entry fee back I would not expect to get the coaches fee portion back. Gym figure that based on how many coaches are going how long etc. Divide the fees amongst the gymnastics. They aren't going to tel the other parents,"Susie isn't going so you need to pay 10 dollars more."

Sent from my SCH-I510 using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back