Parents Squad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Gymmummy123

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Hi, my DD almost 9 started at a very big gym (artistic) when she was 6 whereby she started in recreational and just before her 7th birthday got invited into the development squad but due to work commitments it wasn't possible for us to continue going there twice a week. We moved her to lessons closer to home in a local hall whereby she was learning dance but they had started a gymnastics class. More classes were added and DD moved up groups and was round off flic on floor and flipping on the airtrack. She decided after doing a dance competition that she wanted to get into competitive gymnastics so we got her a place in acro development squad at a local gym and from here she moved into another squad fairly quickly. However just recently she's started saying she isn't enjoying it quite as much. I've managed to find out what she means and she said she misses the flipping etc and that it feels very slow.
Do all children feel like this when they progress from a development squad to an actual squad?. She loves what she can learn when she is older and loves watching the older girls but worries she will forget how to do the more exciting things if she doesn't use them now.

Do you mean Acro as in partner work, balances etc? If yes then have you considered trying for a tumbling squad? Or even an artistic squad? Although bear in mind that any development squad will be focused on strength and basics as well.

Hi, yes acro gymnastics. I looked for a tumbling squad and there doesn't seem to be anything close by. Lots of tumbling classes at dance schools/sports halls but I can't see any tumbling local that competes. She was in an artistic development squad for 6ish months before we had to leave because at the time family circumstances didn't fit. She liked the floor work and bars and didn't mind beam but hated vault although a little older now she may not feel the same way.
She's not in development in acro, I think it's the next squad up. She doesn't mind conditioning and says its fun but when practising for the competions that it seems to slow whereas she likes fast moves (not quite sure what she means)
I did try to explain that if we were to try something else that unfortunately when preparing for competitions it may seem slow.

Have you checked the BG website for the nearest tumbling club? Or if there isn't anything within reach artistic clubs that would be able to offer a trial?

Hi, I looked on BG but there doesn't seem to be any tumbling nearby. I also rang a couple of artistic clubs nearish to home to see if she may be suitable for one of their squads (she still wants to compete) but they said because she is acro then she would have to start in recreational (which DD doesn't want to, she enjoys competing) She's therefore asked about trampolining so I'm wondering with the gymnastics background if she would be put in a beginners class or if she may be able to get into some type of squad? Also if she didn't leave gymnastics and we found a trampoline place that fits around gym would this be wise or would she be better choosing one of the two?

I would check with your acro coaches but generally trampolining is fine alongside another discipline at lower levels. Let the trampoline club know that she is a gymnast and they will place her in the right group. Even if she started in rec trampoline she can progress quickly to a competition group.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back