WAG Timers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

z2akids

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I read this term here frequently but have no idea what it means. Can anyone explain it to me?

They say a picture is worth 1000 words:

Yurchenko timer

Double back timer (floor)

Pbars double back timer (noooooo! NOT ready to see this!!)

It's best defined as an intermediate step to a skill. So no one just does a yurchenko....they do timers which means they'll do a round up to the vault and just push through to land on their feet with no flipping. That's a yurchenko timer.

A double back on bars would be doing the flyaway and then landing in the pit on your back.

Basically, my understanding is that it's a flip to the back in preparation for a flip that should land on the feet.

Our girls are doing bars DB timers to their backs on a mat -- release, flip one full rotation, and then around again to land "BOOM!" on the mat. It sounds painful but they all bounce up smiling afterward. This is the step after going into the pit.

The boys are also learning their rings DBs by going into the pit but aren't doing timers, except when it happens by mistake. DS, who is still somewhat floor challenged, now has a decent DB timer on tramp for progressing toward his floor DB. I expect it to be a long road!

Thanks. My DD is just working towards competing L4 this coming winter, so we aren't quite to those skills yet.

Like a drill but actually performing the beginning of the skill without working the end. Could be tumbling, vaulting, beam dismounts, releases or dismounts on bars, etc...

From my understanding it's to learn/practice the timing of the take-off or release leading up to the skill. Thus the name timer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back