WAG Uncontrolled rebounds- help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Committed

Proud Parent
Reaction score
DD has a new-found powerful rebound out her ROBHSs. It's great for when she's adding a BT as she gets lots of height.
HOWEVER...... when they're just doing ROBHS, she's uncontrolled and keeps landing on her back/neck/head. She tells me she doesn't know what she's doing wrong. I'm sure her coach has told her, but maybe she doesn't understand the correction? Or she doesn't hear it because she's hurt and crying.

I'm not looking to coach her; I'm concerned she's really going to hurt herself. Just a simple - she needs to hollow or she's leaning back, would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sounds like a vestibular issue. She may not be ready to be doing RO BHS BT. If this happened more than once I would have her go back to doing a power hurdle or just a round off from standing so she cannot get so much power, or going into a pit or soft mat until she can control it.

If she's rotating onto her head/neck/back it's probably because she's leaning backwards out of her back-handspring and losing control of her body. She needs to stand up tall out of her back-handspring and take her power UP instead of back.

However, I would say a BETTER solution would be to just put less run/power into a simple roundoff back-handspring. It sounds like she has a back tuck and other more advanced tumbling...so she doesn't need to put the same amount of energy into a simple round off back-handspring. For example, a level 10 wouldn't put the same speed and power into a back-tuck as they do for a double-back.

We've had girls with this same problem (esp in level 3 where the tumbling pass is just a roundoff back-handspring) and we've had to tell them to not run so fast or put all their energy into it, and they were able to stick it fine. That doesn't mean that they can't be just as tight and execute it nicely, it just means not to be as powerful for such an easy skill. Other girls who have trouble with it might have to put all their energy and speed into it, while others put 1/2 their power into it.

When she goes for her back tuck or a harder pass, she'll have to increase her speed and power. (It's not a bad thing to be powerful ;))

If she's rotating onto her head/neck/back it's probably because she's leaning backwards out of her back-handspring and losing control of her body. She needs to stand up tall out of her back-handspring and take her power UP instead of back.

However, I would say a BETTER solution would be to just put less run/power into a simple roundoff back-handspring. It sounds like she has a back tuck and other more advanced tumbling...so she doesn't need to put the same amount of energy into a simple round off back-handspring. For example, a level 10 wouldn't put the same speed and power into a back-tuck as they do for a double-back.

We've had girls with this same problem (esp in level 3 where the tumbling pass is just a roundoff back-handspring) and we've had to tell them to not run so fast or put all their energy into it, and they were able to stick it fine. That doesn't mean that they can't be just as tight and execute it nicely, it just means not to be as powerful for such an easy skill. Other girls who have trouble with it might have to put all their energy and speed into it, while others put 1/2 their power into it.

When she goes for her back tuck or a harder pass, she'll have to increase her speed and power. (It's not a bad thing to be powerful ;))

You may have hit the nail on the head with the amount of power she's putting into her tumbling passes. I've seen her take the whole floor for a single FHS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back