WAG Why does it feel like I forget how to do a skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Gymnast28

Gymnast
Reaction score
I’ve had issues with mental blocks and fears before, but recently something news been happening. Sometimes I will go into the gym and I when I think about doing a skill it feels like I have no idea how to do it. This happened to me a few months ago with back fulls and my tsuks off vault. I had a scary fall on giants because of a grip issue recently. And I got up and was doing them. They still felt off but I was at least doing them. Then randomly like a week ago I feel like I have completely forgotten how to do them. I feel like it’s a mental block but it also kind of feels different. Like it’s not like I’m trying to tell my body to do and my mind is stopping me (this is what usually happens) but instead I’m trying to remember how to do the skill before I even go. I then get scared in the middle of my giant so I don’t end up doing it cause I literally feel like I have no idea what I’m doing. ( because of a previous bad coach I have learnt no basics for this skill and learnt them by just chucking them one day). Usually to get over a mental block I will try and visualize and talk myself through the skill. I can visualize myself doing them but talking myself through them scared me because it makes me realize how much I forget how to do the skill. Any advice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back