Parents Worried About The Coming Year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
We are starting our fall session and all of my dd's friends have quit gymnastics or moved to level 4. My dd is too young to move on but definately ready skill wise and behavior wise. I have tried to steer her in the direction of making new friendships but she is really not ready to do that. One of her best friend's last day was today because she moved to level 4 and the other one's last day was today because she wanted to quit. She was with the same group of girls since she was 3. She is really sad about all of this. She will see them outside of gym but with busy schedules and them being older, I wonder how long that will last?...
My other concern is that she is so far ahead of the kids coming into her preteam classes that once again she is just going to be training by herself. How fun can this be? I hope I don't sound like I am whining but I really am worried about how this will affect her this year. Any thoughts? She will be doing dance too and some other activities so she will have other activities going on too. We start our fall schedule this week so I am keeping my fingers crossed that classes go well. I am hoping for the best.

I wouldn't worry too much. It can be tough when their friends leave but your dd is still so young. It can be hard to deal with now but believe me, in a few years she won't even remember most of the kids she knew when she was 4 or 5. Frienships come and go in young childhood and kids are a lot more resiliant than we give them credit for.

I look at old class pictures with my dd now (she is 11) and she doesn't even remember her really good friends from when she was 4 and even 5--and they were bffs back then. It is a part of growing up and a part of life. My dd has changed school a few times due to us moving and has also changed cheer gyms twice and then switched to gymnastics so she has met a lot of new people and made some really strong friendships.

I guess what I am saying is don't worry about it too much. Her firends may be moving on to different teams or sprts now, but she will make new friends. And the fact that she is also doing dance is a big plus too, because she will make new friends there as well. And just wait till she hits 2nd and 3rd grade--those are the years where the friendships really start to grow strong.

As parents, we want the best for our kids and want them to always be happy and we always want to protect them. It's an instict that we are born with, but sooner or later, the kids will have to learn to do more things on their own. And they will get through it.

Good luck with the classes and keep us posted.

I can see why you're worrying.
I think it must be very hard on children who are way ahead of their group. It's hard to form partnerships with others who are at a very different stage of development. And it sounds like that's where your DD is at.
And on top of that she's just been parted from friends as well - poor bunny.
Is there any chance she'd be allowed to move on to the L4 group as well?? I understand she'd be too young to compete, but she' be in the right place from a training POV, plus it would permit her to maintain friendships she already has. Or do you think she'd feel left out when the other girls compete without her? Maybe she could attend just to cheer them on? After all, isn't it kind of likely she'll catch up and rejoin this training group in a year or two anyway?? (Or maybe not - I'm not in the US and may be misunderstanding the way it works.
I recently moved my DD to a new gym away from coaches I adored and respected. But in the new gym DD is in a group of girls her age who are training at a similar level - and that's worth a lot to me. But from memory your gym is a good one and your DD may find she's a mile ahead whereever she goes so that may be a harder situation for you to manage.
Sorry I'm not much help. I wish you lots of luck and the goodwill of your gym in trying to sort it out!! :)

We definately plan to go to the meets that are not out of state. We really want to root her friends on and my dd wants to see what the big girl meets are all about. As far as catching up with her friends, it is definately possible. It is hard to predict the future but our gym is one of those that likes all of it's gymmies to repeat level 4 regardless of scores. So we may see some of her friends again when she begins level 4. Our gym only permits girls to move up a level if they are age eligible. They do uptrain however if a gymnast is ready. With her being a new 5, I think her hours now are age appropiate and she continues to progress. I just think it is going to be a tough year to get through.

I can see it might feel a strange and slow year. Definitely a good year to check out dance and other activities. Anything that improves form and presentation are a bonus. I think you will just have to go with it and hope she makes new friendships. Cross your fingers and don't worry unless she becomes bored or upset. Hope she settles into the year quickly. Good luck and try not to get too frustrated (easier said than done I know)

I can't really add much other than I can totally understand what you are going through. Looking back, the ages of 3-5 were the toughest as far as finding the right fit. All I can say is that making sure she's being challenged is very important to her love of the sport. Supplementing with dance classes now is a very good idea. It will get better once she's starts competing. Good Luck!! :)

Not much to say that hasnt been said already. But I do think the advice to look into dance is excellent. One of the things that has really helped Midget is she took 3 years of dance before starting gymnastics, and it really shows. I have seen many girls that are so amazing in their tumbling and acrobatic skills but they struggle with the more "pretty" elements. dance really seems to help with that.

Although it might seem hard to swallow, I wouldn't sweat that too much either. My understanding is that she is "held back" solely due to age. That to me is saying she is too young to train more hours (if you recall the many debates on that). And yes, that is a good thing. A good program (and I hope yours is) can train kids according to their individual abilities even they train as a group. Also, for those who are more advanced, they take on the role as leaders and demonstrators. This alone can work out to be a huge confidence and interest booster for this young child (assuming she doesn't let it get to her head). Every gymnast can use some of that if you want her to stick around for the long haul.

We are starting our fall session and all of my dd's friends have quit gymnastics or moved to level 4. My dd is too young to move on but definately ready skill wise and behavior wise. I have tried to steer her in the direction of making new friendships but she is really not ready to do that. One of her best friend's last day was today because she moved to level 4 and the other one's last day was today because she wanted to quit. She was with the same group of girls since she was 3. She is really sad about all of this. She will see them outside of gym but with busy schedules and them being older, I wonder how long that will last?...
My other concern is that she is so far ahead of the kids coming into her preteam classes that once again she is just going to be training by herself. How fun can this be? I hope I don't sound like I am whining but I really am worried about how this will affect her this year. Any thoughts? She will be doing dance too and some other activities so she will have other activities going on too. We start our fall schedule this week so I am keeping my fingers crossed that classes go well. I am hoping for the best.

I really wouldnt worry about it too much. at her age she will adapt quickly. Honestly before we switched gyms a few months ago the team mates my dd had NONE of the girls that she was a L1 - 3 were still at the gym or even in gymnastcs. out of the ones she started L4 with only 2 of them are left on the L7 team. Now she is at a new gym and so its making friends all over again and she is doing just fine at 13 yo. You'll be surprised how many girls quit and move on to other things at the end of L5. As your DD moves up in the levels too you will see the teams getting smaller and smaller too. Not too many continue on to the optional levels.

I agree with Cher it seems like the girls either leave the sport switch gyms or move up. It is hard on the kids because they get so close to each other. My daughter is only with 1 girls who she started with on team 3 years ago.

It might be hard on her for a bit, but kids are pretty tough and resilient and usually make new friends pretty easily. Hopefully there will be some new kids in the group who she can make friends with, and I do hope the coaches will continue to let her uptrain as much as possible.

I hope this isn't too redundant, but it isn't worth the worry you will put into it. None of us can predict the future or control the dynamics of the comings and goings in the sport. DD is an 11 yo level 8. She has always been among the youngest, and usually the youngest, on her level. Only one of the girls from her level 4 team still competes, and she is on her third gym. Level 5 was fine, level 6 was awful- she was the only level 6 and practiced with much older 7 and 8s and was miserable the entire season. She repeated 6 because she did not want to be the only level 7 and while the social aspect was better, she got totally bored and frustrated and crashed and burned at the state meet, crying unconsolably. Then our gym closed, and we had to find another. It was extremely painful, but she found a gym where she was almost happy. She has a great bunch of teammates and had a great level 7. Now she is extremely happy and dedicated to level 8, still with a good bunch of teammates. The straddle back is scaring her but everything else is totally exciting. I lost a lot of sleep and felt a lot pain for her during the difficult years but with a little encouragement she made it through. I think the girls who left the sport are for the most part happy with their decisions as well. We still see them around the community and in other sports. Your daughter will be fine. She will make herself happy with your support and understanding.

I think dance is a GREAT idea! Rylee (my 4y/o) is just a few skills away from having all of her skills for level 4 (and she knows the routines too)... I have no idea what we are going to do with her for another year and a half until she can START competing level 4! We started her in dance at the end of June (because she had broken her elbow and could not start gym again until the middle of July) and she LOVES it! I'm sure it will help with her gymnastics too!

She REALLY misses the girls that were with her and moved to team (including her sister). But she's excited about meeting new girls and making new friends. She practices 3 times/week (1.5 hour classes) plus 1 private lesson/week. The way her coach talks they will go ahead and move her to level 4 for practices next year (when she's 5) but she can't compete as a level 4 until she is 6 (bday is January 30th). I am REALLY hoping the year she competes as a level 4 is a lot of fun for her since all the skills/routines should be totally natural for her by then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back