Parents Worried and anxious!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I am worried about DD moving to level six. I know this is coaches choice but it doesn't stop me from worrying. My dd has always been right on the bubble every year for moving up, having needed skills but barely. I keep thinking she will do two years at a level so she can really achieve total mastery of a level yet every year she moves up. Then all season I worry. She is only seven so I feel like if she could master a level she would feel so confident and that confidence would really help her. Sigh. I hear lvl 6 is brutal and I just worry she really isn't ready. She could rock level 5 this year:(

If you really feel this way, I think it's important to talk to the coaches about it. You know your child best. If you think she would get a lot out of repeating level 5 (boosting her confidence, maturing more, etc) then the coaches need to know that. Having said that, how would your dd feel about it? In some gyms, it's sort of like being in school and getting held back. If everyone progresses and she doesn't, that might have the opposite effect than what you anticipate.

I am worried about DD moving to level six. I know this is coaches choice but it doesn't stop me from worrying. My dd has always been right on the bubble every year for moving up, having needed skills but barely. I keep thinking she will do two years at a level so she can really achieve total mastery of a level yet every year she moves up. Then all season I worry. She is only seven so I feel like if she could master a level she would feel so confident and that confidence would really help her. Sigh. I hear lvl 6 is brutal and I just worry she really isn't ready. She could rock level 5 this year:(

I would let the coach know how you feel and tell not ask them to keep her back at Level 5 as you can see she really isn't ready - any yes a parent can see things too that the child may not show at the gym that says they aren't ready. You know your kid best and honestly a year where she is at the top and mastered the skills isn't such a bad thing. It actually can give them a lot of confidence as they move to the harder levels. Listen to that little voice inside you - it isn't crazy.

I would ask to talk with the coaches to get their reasoning for moving her up. They might see things in the gym that you don't see at home and be able to reassure you that it is best for her. I'm assuming she turns 8 before competition? She's pretty young so if you did hold her back a year, it isn't a big deal!

Thanks for the advise. I did speak with coach and was told that dd seemed bored with lvl five and that they feel it isn't necessary to keep her another year at that level. I do think gymgal is right and dd would see it as a failure to repeat five despite my efforts to assure otherwise. I know she will love the challenge and do ok but as a mom I guess I just worry about the what ifs. Yes she will be eight but not until winter so mid season.

I think a lot more girls repeat level 6 than 5 because they aren't ready to make the jump to level 7. So maybe next year would be a better year to let her repeat and gain more confidence before optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back