• ChalkBucket Does Not Provide Medical Advice

Always first seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding an injury / medical condition. This forum is simply here to share your injury & recovery experiences and what has worked or not worked for you and your athlete.

Sprain/break

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was an audible snap/crack/pop sound during an ankle sprain, would you think it was a fracture?
I think we've had this conversation before, but: go see a doctor.
A snap/crack/pop can be anything from just a natural cracking of a joint (like cracking your fingers), tendon damage, a break, etc. A popping/snapping sound and a lot of pain is not a good sign, and I really hope you can see a doctor this time,. Is this the same ankle that was bothering you before? How is the pain? Can you move it?

I think we've had this conversation before, but: go see a doctor.
A snap/crack/pop can be anything from just a natural cracking of a joint (like cracking your fingers), tendon damage, a break, etc. A popping/snapping sound and a lot of pain is not a good sign, and I really hope you can see a doctor this time,. Is this the same ankle that was bothering you before? How is the pain? Can you move it?
It is the same ankle. I was back to doing everything in gymnastics (no restrictions) and was upgrading a lot but yesterday I did a roundoff [YES A ROUND OFF A SKILL I'VE BEEN DOING FOR YEARS] and something happened (not exactly sure) but my coach said it was a rolled ankle and it hurts like normal ankle sprains. My coach was standing about 4 feet away and he heard the sound too. I can point without too much pain, flexing hurts. I can do small circles and can't walk but can hobble kinda. My other coach thinks its a normal rolled ankle too because I could kinda move it a little bit. But that may be just because I didn't know how to explain what pain I was feeling. I'm worried about telling my parents about the sound (that's probably the only way they'll take me to the doctor) because I'm scared they'll not let me do gymnastics again if I fractured something. And quite honestly, I don't even know if I want to do gymnastics. Like I LOVE this sport I'd do anything to be able to go to practice but I'm so sick of dealing with regular ankle sprains (this is like my 14th one in just 4 years of gymnastics).

I badly sprained my ankle last fall and there was definitely a pop/snap, maybe more of just the feeling than the sound, it was hard to tell and no one was right next to me to hear. I did get it x-rayed and I definitely recommend you do as well, but it doesn't mean that it's broken - it could just be a tendon or ligament doing something bad

I'm worried about telling my parents about the sound (that's probably the only way they'll take me to the doctor) because I'm scared they'll not let me do gymnastics again if I fractured something. And quite honestly, I don't even know if I want to do gymnastics. Like I LOVE this sport I'd do anything to be able to go to practice but I'm so sick of dealing with regular ankle sprains (this is like my 14th one in just 4 years of gymnastics).
I'm getting a few thoughts about this. With some of this I may be wildly off, because all I have to go on is some typed text and that doesn't give intonation and all. So take from this what's useful for you, and just ignore the rest haha.

1. This is kind of a reason why I wish you could see a PT. You shouldn't be spraining your ankle so much, that's not normal even for a gymnast I think. So maybe either the ankle is never fully allowed to heal, or you have weak ankles. Maybe when it's better you could find some strengthening exercises for your ankles to prevent future issues. A PT really could help with that, and with determining when its safe to do so...
2. I don't know how you get on with your parents. I just checked and if I understand chalkbucket correctly, you're 17. In the US, wouldn't that mean that next year it's your choice whether you do gymnastics as you'd be in college doing club gym or something? If I am correct in all of that, then I think maybe it's around the time that you and your parents need to learn to have mature talks with each other. Talks where you can express that you're worried about your ankle but also worried about their reaction. Where you can find solutions together and plan for the future sustainably. However, I don't know if that's the kind of relationship you have with your parents, it really depends on the maturity level of both them and you. If you can talk to them openly about your worries and all, I would advise it.

3. If I'm wrong about this, just skip this part:
Over text these kinds of things are always harder to read, but it seems like you may be really struggling with this. Feeling very emotional and frustrated about being injured again, maybe fearing it's taking away the sport that you love from you. If this is the case, I would advise you to make yourself a nice cup of tea/cocoa, take a moment, and cry out the frustration if you feel like it. Then maybe see if you have a friend or somebody you can talk to about this. It's okay to be upset. It's okay to be confused, angry, or scared, or anything else you're feeling. The situation sucks. It won't be the last sucky thing to happen, but that doesn't make it any less so. I understand the feeling of setback after setback at the tough moments. When it's all too much, remember the first priority is to give yourself some room for your feelings, some room to breathe when its all a bit exhausting.

4. After all this, you may want to make a plan for the future at some point. If you want to continue gymnastics, it may be comforting to have a plan for stuff like this. You can maybe find somebody to help you and you can make yourself a list of
- what am I going to do with my ankle this time
- what is the plan for making them stronger / proper recovery after that?
- what can I do if there is another injury? Is there maybe a free clinic or an online advise thing? I think if you at least have a plan in advance, it may hit less hard when something does happen. Especially when its minor injuries.
- anything else that you need to plan to make yourself feel more secure

On a total sidenote, if there are any free first aid courses in your area, would that be a helpful idea for also knowing what to do if something happens with yourself?

I'm gonna try to respond as best as I can - I'm probably not thinking properly right now
I'm getting a few thoughts about this. With some of this I may be wildly off, because all I have to go on is some typed text and that doesn't give intonation and all. So take from this what's useful for you, and just ignore the rest haha.

1. This is kind of a reason why I wish you could see a PT. You shouldn't be spraining your ankle so much, that's not normal even for a gymnast I think. So maybe either the ankle is never fully allowed to heal, or you have weak ankles. Maybe when it's better you could find some strengthening exercises for your ankles to prevent future issues. A PT really could help with that, and with determining when its safe to do so...
I consistently did strengthening after my last sprain and this happened again. I just don't see it helping
2. I don't know how you get on with your parents. I just checked and if I understand chalkbucket correctly, you're 17. In the US, wouldn't that mean that next year it's your choice whether you do gymnastics as you'd be in college doing club gym or something?
close yeah, I'm 16. But next year fall yes I'll be in college. Ig it'd be "my choice" but in my culture, parents don't just not take care of kids after they are 18/adult/in college. They're probably still gonna pay for whatever I need because I have no means of earning right now.
If I am correct in all of that, then I think maybe it's around the time that you and your parents need to learn to have mature talks with each other. Talks where you can express that you're worried about your ankle but also worried about their reaction. Where you can find solutions together and plan for the future sustainably. However, I don't know if that's the kind of relationship you have with your parents, it really depends on the maturity level of both them and you. If you can talk to them openly about your worries and all, I would advise it.
There's problems on both sides here. I struggle with opening up to people and expressing myself properly and I don't know how they will react either. Still, I tried talking to them about how I'm worried it might be a fracture, but they don't think so. We video called my sister who is a doctor and she said its not broken either. Especially because I can kinda put weight on it and move it. And it didn't hurt when my mom pressed on it. I'm not fully convinced yet though. Im scared my gut feeling might be right but I'm even more scared of actually finding out its right.
cry out the frustration if you feel like it.
I've already done that and still am. I couldnt sleep and I cried for like an hour last night. And I've been crying like every two hours today.
Then maybe see if you have a friend or somebody you can talk to about this.
I don't really have someone. My closest friends aren't gymnasts and they wouldn't understand. And even if they did, like I said, I struggle with opening up to people, especially when it's something like them having to listen to me vent when they could be doing something more important. And they don't know this side of me - Im always happy/look happy when I'm around others. I don't want to burden someone else with my problems. It's just so much easier writing this out online tbh I'd never say these things out loud to someone. Probably also helps that this is an anonymous forum.
4. After all this, you may want to make a plan for the future at some point. If you want to continue gymnastics, it may be comforting to have a plan for stuff like this. You can maybe find somebody to help you and you can make yourself a list of
- what am I going to do with my ankle this time
- what is the plan for making them stronger / proper recovery after that?
- what can I do if there is another injury? Is there maybe a free clinic or an online advise thing? I think if you at least have a plan in advance, it may hit less hard when something does happen. Especially when its minor injuries.
- anything else that you need to plan to make yourself feel more secure
I'll try thinking of answers to these, thank you
On a total sidenote, if there are any free first aid courses in your area, would that be a helpful idea for also knowing what to do if something happens with yourself?
Eh, I've been through enough injuries to know what to do at this point, well, at least know what to do physically.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. It really helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back