WAG Chasse/chasse step?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a ballerina converted to a gymnast, so this confused me a lot.
In ballet, a chasse* is when you point your foot out in front of you, step on it, jump into the air with your feet together/ toes pointed, land on your back foot, and step forward. If you are doing multiple chasses in a row, then the step at the end would just lead right into the next one, but when you are doing just one, the step is considered part of the chasse. So say you where doing chasse step leap; chasse on your right foot, step on your left, leap on your right.
So, I thought it was the same in gymnastics, until the other day. Our coach told us to do chasse step step switch leap, so I chassed on my good leg in order to begin the switch leap with my bad leg, but my coach told me to chasse on my bad leg and stop taking an extra step.
This confused me a lot. Do gymnasts count the step at the end of a chasse as a separate thing, or was my coach just confused (as he is not a big dance person)? :confused:

*Not completely sure I spelled this correctly, as it is French... pronounced "sha-say"

Hmm...unless it's compulsory routines, I wouldn't say there is really a right or wrong way. If I was doing a chasse into a switch leap though, I would do a right chasse, finish right foot down, and go right into the left leg swing. I wouldn't chasse left and then step.

It's sashe :) haha I'm a converted dancer too:p anyway, in gymnastics you skip the step altogether, you just sashe right into the switch. Kinda difficult at first but you get used to it

"Chasse" is the correct spelling of the french ballet term and the one used for gymnastics terminology as well (i.e. the word used in the code).

We normally just take a few steps but I used to chasse and I would have probably done right chasse step left step right change leap - feels the most natural to me. I don't think there is a right way unless its compulsories

This is an interesting question! My DD isn't up to switch leaps yet, but I've noticed on her split leap she swings her front leg into the leap right out of the chasse and this is also the way I've been doing leaps. That is, chasse would be L-R-L, then leap off left foot, swinging right leg up into the leap and landing on right leg. I've noticed most other gymnasts seem to put a step in between and wondered whether DD was doing it wrong or whether both ways are acceptable.

It is spelt 'chasse' and it is pronounced 'sha-say', it drives me crazy why I hear it pronounced 'sashe' I have even heard coaches use this incorrectly

Many ballet words are used in gymnastics and not used correctly. For example a changement in gymnastics is actually an entrechat quatre.

It is spelt 'chasse' and it is pronounced 'sha-say', it drives me crazy why I hear it pronounced 'sashe' I have even heard coaches use this incorrectly

My tidbit of randomness for the day:

When I hear "sa-shay", it always makes me think of that RuPaul song. "Work, turn to the left. Work, Now turn to the right. Sa-shay, chante."

Well, not sure there is a 'correct way' of doing it.
But when I would do this. I would start with my bad leg in front, chasse, step, step, switch leap. So that my bad leg swings forward first for the switch leap. This would make the most sense in order to get a good split leap.
Although if I was just doing a chasse, step, step, leap. I'd start with my good leg in front.

Maybe ask your coach to clarify and explain your point of view and why you would do it the other way?

My tidbit of randomness for the day:

When I hear "sa-shay", it always makes me think of that RuPaul song. "Work, turn to the left. Work, Now turn to the right. Sa-shay, chante."

I think the exact same thing! But, I take it a step further and actually sing the "Sa-shay, chante" part. Interesting looks when that happens ;)

I also get funny looks when I call the beat jump on beam a changement. Most people don't have a clue as to what I am talking about.

Sent from my N860 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I think the exact same thing! But, I take it a step further and actually sing the "Sa-shay, chante" part. Interesting looks when that happens ;)

I also get funny looks when I call the beat jump on beam a changement. Most people don't have a clue as to what I am talking about.

Sent from my N860 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My coach called a beat jump a changement back when I did gymnastics. I don't think it is correct, though. A changement is when the feet just switch one time(like, you finish with the opposite foot in front than you began with). A beat jump is when they "flutter". Like a quick switch-switch and you finish with the same foot in front that you started with.

My coach called a beat jump a changement back when I did gymnastics. I don't think it is correct, though. A changement is when the feet just switch one time(like, you finish with the opposite foot in front than you began with). A beat jump is when they "flutter". Like a quick switch-switch and you finish with the same foot in front that you started with.

You are right. The beat jump is an entrechat quatre, not a changement. During a changement, the feet cross only once and there is no beat.

You are right. The beat jump is an entrechat quatre, not a changement. During a changement, the feet cross only once and there is no beat.

This would be the reason it has a different name in gymnastics. :lol: if we (collectively, as a sport) struggle with pronunciation of chasse, that one would be a complete disaster.

I wonder why "quatre", though? That would lead me to believe that there should be four of something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back