WAG Developing a training plan

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was a WAG competitive coach from 1988 - 2014. I was responsible for compulsories through level 10. Mainly vault, bars, and conditioning. In 2014 I took a break and worked for a recreational only gym. Recently (2024) a friend of mine asked me to step in and help the WAG team. I just wanted to consult and assist the team program. But it seems like they need more direction and mentoring than first anticipated. There doesn't seem to be any direction, planning, or structure for training. The coaches seem to make up plans on the spot. We are in the middle of the season. I can't see how making large changes to their training would benefit their current season. So I guess what I'm getting at is what do you and your team staff do to plan and develop a training plan per season?

I was a WAG competitive coach from 1988 - 2014. I was responsible for compulsories through level 10. Mainly vault, bars, and conditioning. In 2014 I took a break and worked for a recreational only gym. Recently (2024) a friend of mine asked me to step in and help the WAG team. I just wanted to consult and assist the team program. But it seems like they need more direction and mentoring than first anticipated. There doesn't seem to be any direction, planning, or structure for training. The coaches seem to make up plans on the spot. We are in the middle of the season. I can't see how making large changes to their training would benefit their current season. So I guess what I'm getting at is what do you and your team staff do to plan and develop a training plan per season?

Is this just a bunch of coaches working together... or is there a head coach?

Is this just a bunch of coaches working together... or is there a head coach.
So, technically there is a new head coach, but they will be taking leave shortly and returning in the Fall of this year. The other coaches are young and pretty new to coaching IMHO.

Is this just a bunch of coaches working together... or is there a head coach?
Both HC and coaches working, but not together. The original "head coach" was released right before the season started in Dec of 2023. So the other optional coach has stepped in as the new "head coach" to oversee the program. The new head coach will take a leave of absence soon and will be returning in the Fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1 thing I would start with is the overall goal of the team program and that leads into move up and new team selection standards.

After that athlete groups and workout hours.

Then year long schedule.

Like...

When do new kids start?
When is new skill time?
When are athlete levels decided by? (when do they need to have their skills by and what are those skills)
When do you want to see 1/2 sets or full sets by?
When is season?

After that... I would move into all the technique type stuff. In other words... is there a certain way that the HC would like things taught?

Also... gym rotations... who does that? Super important. From event to event and within each event...

Are the athletes to move through the stations of an event in a certain way each day? Station A to station B to wall station to tramp bar to pit bar? Or like... on Tuesdays we always are on a "A" style circuit and Thursdays we are always on a "B" style circuit. Maybe the A & B are typed out and hung on the wall so everyone understands?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back