MAG Clinics/camps at colleges

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

acam1103

Proud Parent
Anyone have experience? Do they tend to be worthwhile? We are heading to Ohio for thanksgiving and my youngest desperately wants to do the clinic at Ohio State (it's for kids 7+, day and a half). It would be for fun - we aren't expecting anything out of it as parents. He just has stars in his eyes because his current dream is to make it there for college gym.

My 9 year old did a women’s gym camp at A college this past summer and loved it. Not sure what she learned new, but very much loved the experience. The women’s gymnasts were involved in the camp.

Anyone have experience? Do they tend to be worthwhile? We are heading to Ohio for thanksgiving and my youngest desperately wants to do the clinic at Ohio State (it's for kids 7+, day and a half). It would be for fun - we aren't expecting anything out of it as parents. He just has stars in his eyes because his current dream is to make it there for college gym.
If he is excited about it, totally go for it.

You could ask your son's coach if he had any concerns. I know others at the gym my son attends has asked the coach if he has opinions on what camps are good and which ones he does not recommend.

My sons have done a college summer camp for the past few years. They loved it for the social part, but I don't think they got much gymnastic-wise out of it (which is probably just fine as far as our regular coach is concerned, as he wants things done in a pretty specific way - drills, conditioning, etc).

For us (and for younger boys in general, I think) having them attend the camp is all about the social. They get to meet other boys just as invested in the sport as they are, they get to meet some of the college gymnasts, they get to have fun and play games. They also get to see (socially) some of the other boys in the state that they compete with throughout the year, so they are starting to develop friendships there.

As far as gymnastics is concerned, they stuck to basics that they already knew really. Funny story about the end of camp when parents get to watch for a bit - my one son was so so excited to show me something...he shows me and I'm thinking "huh, what's he showing me? He already knows this skill?". I say something along those lines to him, and he says "yeah, but look how good I'm getting at it. Anyway, X (boy that he just met) was having a hard time doing it at first and now he can do it. We worked on it all weekend". So it seems he spent much of his time working on a skill he already had so he could help this boy out, which seemed like a pretty good learning experience to me.

Different obviously for the older boys who are looking to get noticed!

I would also talk to your coach, ours wasn't too thrilled with it but they didn't miss practice for it and we stressed that we were doing it for the social aspect of it. I think the clinics that they get the most out of in terms of gymnastics are the ones they attend with their coach.

If my boys loved Ohio State and had a chance to go to a camp there, I'd definitely let them try it out!

Definitely check in with your coach first, but I bet he'd have a great time! My guy has never done a college camp, but he has enjoyed all the clinics and camps and other extra opportunities he's had to do gym away from home. It's good for them to spend time with other members of their tribe.

Reactions: sce
We have never done a college camp, but my older son went to a regular gym camp for a week a couple years ago. He loved it. As long as the camp or clinic is run safely, I think it is helpful for an athlete to work with different coaches now and then, getting a different perspective. I wish we could afford to do this more actually. I think the typically high cost of such programs sometimes raises unrealistic expectations about "getting new skills" or some other visible improvement. If your expectations are kept reasonable I do not see the downside.

Reactions: sce
Hi. That is my son's gym. Your son will have a blast. It will likely be a small group, some of the local team kids and the Ohio State coaches, maybe a few of the team guys who are around. They will have fun.

Hi. That is my son's gym. Your son will have a blast. It will likely be a small group, some of the local team kids and the Ohio State coaches, maybe a few of the team guys who are around. They will have fun.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. My boys are super excited!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back