WAG College Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Momma Bear

Proud Parent
So many questions! Why is raising kids so difficult?!?!

One question is, are there girls who just make level 10 in 12th grade that have been recruited to do gymnastics in college?

My daughter is a late starter. She’s going into 9th grade next year. She competed her first year of level 8 last year and hopes to move to level 9 next year. She’s got a great start on her level 9 skills so far, however, we know many girls at our gym repeat level 8. We also know, many girls repeat level 9. My dd has expressed this just year that her goal is to compete in college gymnastics.

In your experienced opinions, would it be best for her to try to get to level 10 ASAP or will she still have a chance even if she has to repeat both levels and doesn’t get to level 10 until 12th grade?

Obviously her coaches make those decisions. We are actually meeting with them soon to discuss all of this. However, our gym is not a huge gym with a ton of girls being recruited. We just want to be informed and know if she’d have a chance or not.

A little more info about my dd, she’s an extremely hard worker, dedicated, and loves the sport. She’s had a very successful career so far. We are well aware that college gym is very far fetched for everyone and a lot can change in 4 years. So, please don’t think we’re crazy gym parents who are pushing her! We just want to be able to help her make decisions that will assist in reaching her goals.

Thanks so much for any info you are able to give! We truly appreciate it.

I’d definitely not say impossible however not likely. All I hear is you need to be a competitive 10 by 9th or 10th grade for D1. 11th grade sometimes but senior year is a stretch.

Could be plenty of lower division or club options though!

An old teammate of my daughter’s will be competing division ii next fall, and she only made it to level 10 her senior year, so while maybe not all that common, it’s not out of the question.

While it is not the usual thing, my daughter was one of the late starters who got to L10 as a Junior and was recruited after her first year, so rising senior. D1. I will say that she was doing top skills and scoring well. Nothing is impossible.
So nice to hear! Thanks for your reply, and congrats to your daughter!!

An old teammate of my daughter’s will be competing division ii next fall, and she only made it to level 10 her senior year, so while maybe not all that common, it’s not out of the question.
Wonderful news! Thanks for responding!

Do the girls in your gym repeat often because the coaches are looking for a high baseline score (ex. 36 before competing the season) or is it an issue with learning the skills needed for the next level? Our experience as been that coaches are more concerned with the potential for 10.0SV on at least 3 of the 4 events, even if the routines are somewhat inconsistent. It doesn't make much sense to rush to L10 if SV are only 9.7s, but if a gymnast has the potential for 9.9+SVs, then it may be better to push them forward for the exposure.

The reason so many people say "L10 by grade 9" is because this is when the coaches are looking for recruits. You want to be on their radar as early as possible because they start to pencil in their rosters but with the rule changes, we may see this change a little bit. Also, it will also depend on her school selection. While all D1 and most D2 and 3 teams only have L10 gymnasts, their recruiting is very different. Lower ranked D1 and the D2/3 schools are still filling their slots during the gymnasts' senior year. So, if she has a stellar L9 season, and can share full L10 , 10.0SV routines, then she has a chance. It certainly would be better to be a L10 by 11th, though, so you can share video of competitions.

Do the girls in your gym repeat often because the coaches are looking for a high baseline score (ex. 36 before competing the season) or is it an issue with learning the skills needed for the next level? Our experience as been that coaches are more concerned with the potential for 10.0SV on at least 3 of the 4 events, even if the routines are somewhat inconsistent. It doesn't make much sense to rush to L10 if SV are only 9.7s, but if a gymnast has the potential for 9.9+SVs, then it may be better to push them forward for the exposure.

The reason so many people say "L10 by grade 9" is because this is when the coaches are looking for recruits. You want to be on their radar as early as possible because they start to pencil in their rosters but with the rule changes, we may see this change a little bit. Also, it will also depend on her school selection. While all D1 and most D2 and 3 teams only have L10 gymnasts, their recruiting is very different. Lower ranked D1 and the D2/3 schools are still filling their slots during the gymnasts' senior year. So, if she has a stellar L9 season, and can share full L10 , 10.0SV routines, then she has a chance. It certainly would be better to be a L10 by 11th, though, so you can share video of competitions.
Thanks so much for the information. I don’t foresee my dd repeating next season, as she had a pretty good year. She qualified for regionals and had a 5th place aa finish at regionals. However, I just want to be prepared for it just in case. Was kinda wondering, if for some reason, she did have to repeat if that would totally ruin her chances.

I did hear about the rule change and figured that would definitely help her and other girls in similar situations.

There have been some girls who didn’t repeat. I think, as you mentioned, most of whom repeated didn’t have 10.0 starting values.

Thanks so much for the information. I don’t foresee my dd repeating next season, as she had a pretty good year. She qualified for regionals and had a 5th place aa finish at regionals. However, I just want to be prepared for it just in case. Was kinda wondering, if for some reason, she did have to repeat if that would totally ruin her chances.

I did hear about the rule change and figured that would definitely help her and other girls in similar situations.

There have been some girls who didn’t repeat. I think, as you mentioned, most of whom repeated didn’t have 10.0 starting values.
For gymnasts who have routinely done well in the past, it is unusual that they would have to repeat 2 levels. one level? yes, but both 8 and 9 would be unusual and likely the result of injuries. So, she should be in line to compete L10 in 10th/11th grade. This may be a little late for the top tier schools (though not impossible) but certainly the middle and lower ranked schools would be possible. As well as D2 and 3.

For gymnasts who have routinely done well in the past, it is unusual that they would have to repeat 2 levels. one level? yes, but both 8 and 9 would be unusual and likely the result of injuries. So, she should be in line to compete L10 in 10th/11th grade. This may be a little late for the top tier schools (though not impossible) but certainly the middle and lower ranked schools would be possible. As well as D2 and 3.
Thanks so much. This makes me feel better!

As others have said , depends on which school and if a walk-on position is something you are seeking . But yes if she has skills worthy of what an NCAA team wants then a walk-on is definitely an option

If she made regionals as a L8, she’ll likely be a Level 9 as a 9th grader. I don’t think the jump is big from Level 8 to Level 9. But the jump is big to Level 10 and getting the 10SV and difficulty the colleges are looking for. She has a better chance at being recruited if she an Level 10 by her junior year because majority of the schools fill their teams by summer of junior year. However, walk ons on Div 1 can happen later. Div 2 and 3 fill their teams throughout the senior year. Your daughter just finished 8th grade and will likely go to Level 9 next year. I think she has a chance if she can show coaches she has good L10 skills. Also Division 3 takes many Level 9.

Scholarships are still quite difficult to get. You’ll need high 9s on at least two events and/or show 37AA or high 36AA consistently and of course some kind of relationship with the coach. There are currently many unrecruited L10 gymnasts who have great scores but never established a relationship with the college coaches.

If she made regionals as a L8, she’ll likely be a Level 9 as a 9th grader. I don’t think the jump is big from Level 8 to Level 9. But the jump is big to Level 10 and getting the 10SV and difficulty the colleges are looking for. She has a better chance at being recruited if she an Level 10 by her junior year because majority of the schools fill their teams by summer of junior year. However, walk ons on Div 1 can happen later. Div 2 and 3 fill their teams throughout the senior year. Your daughter just finished 8th grade and will likely go to Level 9 next year. I think she has a chance if she can show coaches she has good L10 skills. Also Division 3 takes many Level 9.

Scholarships are still quite difficult to get. You’ll need high 9s on at least two events and/or show 37AA or high 36AA consistently and of course some kind of relationship with the coach. There are currently many unrecruited L10 gymnasts who have great scores but never established a relationship with the college coaches.

Thanks so much for explaining all of this to me. This process seems so overwhelming. It’s nice to gain some knowledge from the experience of others!

To piggy back on this - is there any hope for the girl who is a L10 for 4 years but is that consistent middle girl. NOT winning the AA with super high scores, but never bombing either. You know the one that never falls but always only scores low 9's. Has hard skills but makes careless errors because of nerves.....never the superstar, but always placing 7th-4th....maybe 1st once a season. Does that type of gymnast ever stand a chance?

To piggy back on this - is there any hope for the girl who is a L10 for 4 years but is that consistent middle girl. NOT winning the AA with super high scores, but never bombing either. You know the one that never falls but always only scores low 9's. Has hard skills but makes careless errors because of nerves.....never the superstar, but always placing 7th-4th....maybe 1st once a season. Does that type of gymnast ever stand a chance?
Most definitely for the lower ranked D1s. A big Part of college training seems to be improving the form and consistency of the skills. Also remember that D1 scores are routinely 0.3-.4 higher than JO for those JO scores in the low-mid 9s

Most definitely for the lower ranked D1s. A big Part of college training seems to be improving the form and consistency of the skills. Also remember that D1 scores are routinely 0.3-.4 higher than JO for those JO scores in the low-mid 9s

This makes me happy to hear! This is my daughter. She always has some of the hardest routines but is never the superstar with the high scores. She's consistent, she rarely falls, she's that reliable girl they put first to get the flight off without a fall, she's always on the podium and getting medals but rarely top 3. She just keeps plugging away and I worry she will be overlooked. So may of her friends get "fill out the recruitment" form for our college emails but she doesn't because she makes Nationals but finishes in the teens not top 5. That sort of kid.

So many questions! Why is raising kids so difficult?!?!

One question is, are there girls who just make level 10 in 12th grade that have been recruited to do gymnastics in college?

My daughter is a late starter. She’s going into 9th grade next year. She competed her first year of level 8 last year and hopes to move to level 9 next year. She’s got a great start on her level 9 skills so far, however, we know many girls at our gym repeat level 8. We also know, many girls repeat level 9. My dd has expressed this just year that her goal is to compete in college gymnastics.

In your experienced opinions, would it be best for her to try to get to level 10 ASAP or will she still have a chance even if she has to repeat both levels and doesn’t get to level 10 until 12th grade?

Obviously her coaches make those decisions. We are actually meeting with them soon to discuss all of this. However, our gym is not a huge gym with a ton of girls being recruited. We just want to be informed and know if she’d have a chance or not.

A little more info about my dd, she’s an extremely hard worker, dedicated, and loves the sport. She’s had a very successful career so far. We are well aware that college gym is very far fetched for everyone and a lot can change in 4 years. So, please don’t think we’re crazy gym parents who are pushing her! We just want to be able to help her make decisions that will assist in reaching her goals.

Thanks so much for any info you are able to give! We truly appreciate it.

I would in the next year or so as she progresses, video her skills. Get a list started of schools she may be interested in and as she develops her skill base, email those coaches/schools. Keep in contact with them and keep her name in their minds. She may have a year where she blossoms fully and there could be a school where a girl backed out of her commitment for a number of reasons and a spot could open up. Happens all the time!! I have seen girls get recruited having only a year or 2 as a 10 under their belt. It may not be a top 10 school, but there are many great schools out there. Good luck to your daughter!!

I would in the next year or so as she progresses, video her skills. Get a list started of schools she may be interested in and as she develops her skill base, email those coaches/schools. Keep in contact with them and keep her name in their minds. She may have a year where she blossoms fully and there could be a school where a girl backed out of her commitment for a number of reasons and a spot could open up. Happens all the time!! I have seen girls get recruited having only a year or 2 as a 10 under their belt. It may not be a top 10 school, but there are many great schools out there. Good luck to your daughter!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back