Parents Courious --how do gymnast choice college with gymnastics team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Welcome to CB! The answer will depend on what level of gymnastics you are wanting to know about. In college, there is club with a wide variety of skill level, and then there is collegiate which is L10 / elite skill level. Within collegiate, there are 3 divisions: D1,2,3.

The first thing to decide is where the gymnast fits and then to look at colleges that have that option. If you can give us a little more information, we can help more. Are you in the US or a different country?

Welcome to CB! The answer will depend on what level of gymnastics you are wanting to know about. In college, there is club with a wide variety of skill level, and then there is collegiate which is L10 / elite skill level. Within collegiate, there are 3 divisions: D1,2,3.

The first thing to decide is where the gymnast fits and then to look at colleges that have that option. If you can give us a little more information, we can help more. Are you in the US or a different country?
Thanks for the explanation. Mind you explain what mean 3 divisions?? How can I decide?

My daughter is level 4 and get 36-37 score on each level. Right now she is level 5 but her gymnastics support has limited plus Mass states has not a good team in region 6. I just consider should look for a good gymnastics to support to level 7 or 8 then move to Florida state?? They showed a lot of support college athletes. Feedback???

Thanks for the explanation. Mind you explain what mean 3 divisions?? How can I decide?

My daughter is level 4 and get 36-37 score on each level. Right now she is level 5 but her gymnastics support has limited plus Mass states has not a good team in region 6. I just consider should look for a good gymnastics to support to level 7 or 8 then move to Florida state?? They showed a lot of support college athletes. Feedback???
At level 5, I think you should focus on your gymnast enjoying what they are doing or they will never make it to the upper optional levels much less to competing in college. Perhaps consider the quality of the gym they are currently in because they need good sound technique, but not what state or region you are in and planning on uprooting the family. A great gymnast can shine from any state or region as they move up the ranks. qualify to Regionals/Easterns/Nationals, and put forth recruiting effort. It's only a tiny percentage of gymnasts with the combination of talent, hard work, and good coaching that will advance through all those stages and earn a place on an NCAA team. Also note there are club level college teams that are more accessible to the average gymnast.

how old is your daughter? Advice will be different if she is older vs younger.

At level 5, I think you should focus on your gymnast enjoying what they are doing or they will never make it to the upper optional levels much less to competing in college. Perhaps consider the quality of the gym they are currently in because they need good sound technique, but not what state or region you are in and planning on uprooting the family. A great gymnast can shine from any state or region as they move up the ranks. qualify to Regionals/Easterns/Nationals, and put forth recruiting effort. It's only a tiny percentage of gymnasts with the combination of talent, hard work, and good coaching that will advance through all those stages and earn a place on an NCAA team. Also note there are club level college teams that are more accessible to the average gymnast.
Thanks for the beedback. My gymnast attend different college summer high perforance camping each year. She is very very motived to join university gymnastics team. That is why, I need to consider about a gymnast school includes support good techniqure and good coach.

At that age, she could still be set up well for D1 possibility. Idealistically, she should have 1-2 years at L10 going into the recruiting process. So being L10 by grade 9 or 10. That's not set in stone but that would give her the best shot for a larger number of programs. Of course, just getting to L10 is not enough. The skills, form, and scores have to be there.

D3 programs will be looking to recruit gymnasts in 11/12th grade, primarily L10, but some L9s as well. The do not offer athletic scholarships but many have access to academic funds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back