Parents High school gymnastics teams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter does high school gymnastics. She’s an Xcel diamond. The high school gymnasts who compete range from probably gold/platinum up through level 10. It’s a fun, relaxed atmosphere- she really enjoys it

In Ohio and Indiana, high school gymnastics uses modified Level 8 (with high school bonus), but the girls range from Xcel Gold to Level 10. One of the modifications is that special requirements are only worth 0.2 instead of 0.5.
The funniest thing about high school gymnastics and club gym is that you can have a gymnast specialize in beam for high school and be top 3 in the state (with a standing back tuck on beam among her skills), but she competes Xcel Gold in club because they require girls to compete All Around for club, and she doesn't have a kip.
That sounds like me, back in the day!

That sounds like me, back in the day!
The first time we saw the girl in competition, the entire session was Xcel Gold. It was during her high school season, but she didn't have a HS meet that weekend. When she was warming up beam, she did her back tuck. [jaws ON THE FLOOR] ... then her coach reminded her this wasn't a HS meet ... so she did a cartwheel and a handstand real quick.

Most of the girls who compete on our team are on Xcel. The L8-10s from our club have tried, but it's very hard to meet the HS practice requirements and the club requirements. Club comes first for them and the equipment is so much better, that girls on our team usually try it one year and then go back to just club. It does vary by school, though, and some accept club practice in lieu of HS practice. That does take away from the team aspect. When my DD did HS, she watered down her floor routine b/c the mat on a basketball floor was not nice on joints and she didn't want to overdo it. The HS meets are very long, as well, so that is another thing to consider if your DD has a heavy courseload.

Most of the girls who compete on our team are on Xcel. The L8-10s from our club have tried, but it's very hard to meet the HS practice requirements and the club requirements. Club comes first for them and the equipment is so much better, that girls on our team usually try it one year and then go back to just club. It does vary by school, though, and some accept club practice in lieu of HS practice. That does take away from the team aspect. When my DD did HS, she watered down her floor routine b/c the mat on a basketball floor was not nice on joints and she didn't want to overdo it. The HS meets are very long, as well, so that is another thing to consider if your DD has a heavy courseload.
It's wild how it's so different from state to state! Here the high school practice is only like 2 hours a week and it's pretty much optional for anyone still doing club gymnastics. But our high schools practice and compete at local gyms so they are using nice equipment and facilities. I agree that if my daughter had to compete on old equipment or mats on a basketball court, there is no way she'd be doing it!

Minnesota prohibits high school athletes from participating in club athletics at the same time. Since Optional and Xcel seasons coincide with high school, very few club gymnasts are on their high school team. Those that do usually compete one meet to qualify for state before or after the hs season starts then come back to club the post season.

Around here there are no Public high schools that offer gymnastics (High school
Is 7th-12th Grade).

There is a league only for Elite private schools, so a small number of Elite private schools offer it and only those that happen to have a private gymnastics club in their school grounds, so they have access to actual facilities and coaches.

Except for a small number of kids, it’s quite simple and they might practice about 2 hours per week.

They could never make a rule saying gymnasts can’t compete for their club while competing for their school. The gyms would be up in arms and very few people would be willing to represent their school, if they had to stop representing their club.

Most schools would never allow any type of gymnastics anywhere in their school grounds now days. I remember as a kid we would always have handstand competitions and do cartwheels on the oval, all the girls did. But now days, it’s a liability and they are afraid kids will get hurt.

Some were telling me the other day that they have a bar in their school playground but the only thing they are allowed to do is hang on it. These kids are 12, and they get in trouble for doing a chin up, because it’s not considered safe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back