Parents Does it ever go away?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you video when your hands are shaking so much? I have to hand my camera to a friend to film for me.

I've found that "borrowing" one of my friend's anti-anxiety meds on meet days helps my nerves immensely. As do the fun-size shot bottles in the parking lot. I'm loving the vodka gummy bears idea.

Same same. I can't video bc I know the camera will shake and dd really wants to see the videos. Plus I can't really watch through the video so I feel like I"m missing her. My friends know I get nuts and they are super supportive - filming for me and letting me crush their hands. I offer in return but they all have their coping systems. One friend paces her way around the meet so we barely see each other.

I talk to other parents to help with the stress. I talk to the point that I am probably annoying but it's the main way I relieve stress. Also videoing helps...but my videos suck because I'm shaking and with bars I sway with her movements lol :)

I don't stress too much about injuries. I think it's because I'm a former gymnast and most of the skills are not that scary to me. Although I probably have a greater appreciation as to how dangerous they really are. My dd has had one bad injury but it was more of a freak accident than anything else.

Aggggh, my son is the only one in his level this season, so I am losing my entire support network!!!!! (Adore my DH, but let's just say he is not the most soothing person with whom to take in a meet.) I also realized that I kill a lot of time during meets trying to get nice candid shots of the guys interacting with each other between events. If anyone has any extra of those vodka gummies, please send them my way.

Aggggh, my son is the only one in his level this season, so I am losing my entire support network!!!!! (Adore my DH, but let's just say he is not the most soothing person with whom to take in a meet.) I also realized that I kill a lot of time during meets trying to get nice candid shots of the guys interacting with each other between events. If anyone has any extra of those vodka gummies, please send them my way.

That is so rough! My dd was alone at States and I had that exact same problem - DH so chill, he kinda doesn't get it - and that was only once. I can't imagine going through a whole season. Hang in there.

It is tough. I have been there for a year. Wish I could send you a supply of gummies ;)

I find it easier to video. Granted my videos all look like they are taken during an earthquake, but it gives me something to focus on other than my kid! I just try to keep her in the screen. LOL!

They are ridiculously easy to make according to my friend...never had them myself. You literally pour vodka over a batch and let them sit overnight. It absorbs into the bears. I personally think it sounds gross, lol. Sorry you are on your own, that is hard!
Eta: my dh and i dont even sit together at meets. We. Just. Cant.

They are ridiculously easy to make according to my friend...never had them myself. You literally pour vodka over a batch and let them sit overnight. It absorbs into the bears. I personally think it sounds gross, lol. Sorry you are on your own, that is hard!
Eta: my dh and i dont even sit together at meets. We. Just. Cant.
I'm allergic to vodka... but 99 Bananas gummies sound good :)

I find it easier to video. Granted my videos all look like they are taken during an earthquake, but it gives me something to focus on other than my kid! I just try to keep her in the screen. LOL!
I have mild "tremors" in my hands anyways (moreso in my left than right), so I blame that for the shaking in my videos, lol.
I get nervous for ALL the girls on our team. When YG isnt competing, I watch and fidget (ADHD) and when my team isnt going, I chat.

I would like to know what you parents do to cope at meets (please dont say drink or eat vodka gummybears). I almost started a thread on this last night!

Oh and to answer the question...it gets worse. Much.
I go into the bathroom during beam! LOL! no joke I CANT WATCH BEAM! Ughhhh! I always have someone record it, but I feel like I might pass out. I didn't feel this way until level 7.. but now I don't know how to fix it!

I used to only get nervous on beam. Then she hit level 9 and everything is terrifying.

I miss level 3-6. What were we thinking being nervous then? So what if they fell at least it wouldn't result in a terrible head crushing, high speed concussion injury. ;-)

I was thinking of this thread today while trying to film beam at my daughters meet- my heart was pounding and I only actually got half of the routine on video because I was shaking- and my kid is just a level 3- I’m going to be a mess as the levels go on o_O:D

I go into the bathroom during beam! LOL! no joke I CANT WATCH BEAM! Ughhhh! I always have someone record it, but I feel like I might pass out. I didn't feel this way until level 7.. but now I don't know how to fix it!

After dd fell on beam this year at one of her first meets, I had to stop watching. I also go to the bathroom until it's over. Luckily my dh video tapes it and I watch it later. ;)

My hubby videos for me as well, and I walk to a hidden corner where I can peak through my fingers. Except for floor. I can watch floor, but that's it. I love watching her teammates though, that part is fun!

I too feel the pressure and desire for my DD to be successful. I decided that it does not matter how she scores, it only matters that she is happy when the meet in over. Her goal is to become a level10 and not to win meets.

My take away is watch enjoy the meet, enjoy your gymnast and their performances. Gymnastics and their youth will all be over in a flash.

After dd fell on beam this year at one of her first meets, I had to stop watching. I also go to the bathroom until it's over. Luckily my dh video tapes it and I watch it later. ;)
My DD competes level 8 this year and I wanted to say that I am going to buck up and just do it this year! Her first meet is in January and I just know I'm not going to be able to do it! ugh! I hate the feeling! Imagine if that is how we feel... think of them right?!

I too feel the pressure and desire for my DD to be successful. I decided that it does not matter how she scores, it only matters that she is happy when the meet in over. Her goal is to become a level10 and not to win meets.

My take away is watch enjoy the meet, enjoy your gymnast and their performances. Gymnastics and their youth will all be over in a flash.
Well yeah thats my DD goal too! But that doesn't change the fact that I can't help but hide or close my eyes! LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back