WAG Drama at US Classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Morgan and everyone else should know that whatever hype Simone brings is good for the sport overall! Not many people aside from the "gymternet" would care about the US Classics or Nationals or even Worlds if Simone weren't participating. The overall light she shines on the sport elevates everyone! but yes - it can be hard to see the big picture when you're teenager

Dang it, that was supposed to say NOT done by Simone. Simone has no control over who GK and USAG puts on posters. Morgan should also learn a bit about marketing. The Olympic Champion is much more well known and will sell tickets. Morgan is a great gymnast but ya not a household name. I imagine she felt upstaged but when it comes down to it, it’s about your performance.

Exactly! 2.5 years ago no one outside gymnastics community knew who Simone Biles was, even though she was already the best. Instead remember all the hype around Gabby Douglas? She wasn't even that great when she came back, yet everyone was talking about her.

I think it's safe to say that this problem won't be solved by Morgan getting a marketing degree. What she posted was about emotion, not logic. She got jealous and forgot to be kind which, as many have said, is a very normal thing to do when you're 17. I'm sure she understands that the olympic champion gets more attention than the world champion, but knowing that doesn't stop her from feeling bad about it.

The thing that bugs me most about the entire thing is the tone of her post and that she called Simone the b word (and yes, I’ve seen the post). I’m sure she has valid feelings of jealousy and I know that teenagers say stupid things, but it’s just incredibly rude. I do also agree that Simone shouldn’t have posted so much on Twitter, but, I can’t blame her at all for being so mad and hurt.

The thing that bugs me most about the entire thing is the tone of her post and that she called Simone the b word (and yes, I’ve seen the post). I’m sure she has valid feelings of jealousy and I know that teenagers say stupid things, but it’s just incredibly rude. I do also agree that Simone shouldn’t have posted so much on Twitter, but, I can’t blame her at all for being so mad and hurt.
Agree. I also saw the post and it was just beyond rude. No one wants to be called that name by anyone, let alone a potential teammate. It was posted prior to podium training and the accompanying photo didn’t help matters. Really changed my impression of Morgan and not in a good way.

I hear everyone saying that Morgan is just a teenager and that they still have to learn these things. I have two 14 year olds and a 12 year old. All three of my kids are shocked that someone in Morgan's position would do that. To paraphrase one of my 14 year olds, "yeah, some teenagers, some PEOPLE, are that mean and short sighted but anyone with the tiniest bit of common sense knows that is a bad idea. If I did that about one of my teammates or even a gymnast from another gym, I'd probably get suspended. As I should. Beyond it being mean and uncalled for, it would cast a bad image on my gym for me to do something like that. What does it say for someone on the national team to act so awful?!"

Yeah, teens make stupid mistakes, but sometimes I wonder if they keep making this level of stupid, bullying choices because they know that people will think it is understandable because they are kids. My kids would be in a world of trouble if they did that and it is time that the norm is to call these "kids" out for such horrible behavior instead of writing it off to their age.

And the more that I think about it the more I think that I'm ok with Simone's response. It is time that bullies get called out. Hopefully next time all of these girls will think twice before posting something so hateful.

2G1B, I agree on a club level this message could and probably should warrant a suspension.

What do any of you think the consequences should be for a national team member who engages in this behavior? Should it come from her club team, parents or the national team? Should Simone have consequences too?

It's not that I think it's OK for teenagers to act like that. If it were my own child I'd be disappointed and appalled and if she were a minor there'd be big consequences. But it's more that people make mistakes or bad decisions, sometimes huge ones, and still eventually turn out to be good people. It's not that I think the behavior should be ignored, it's more the life-ruining-dogpile aspect of the internet.(Even though, yes, she put it out there.) It just makes me uncomfortable, especially when the players aren't/are barely adults. I realize the conversation is even-keeled here, but not so elsewhere. I have zero issues with Simone calling her out, though, even though it wasn't done in the most mature way.

I just always go back to some really poor choices I made in how I treated someone when I was young. And I realized how crappy it was and did my best to make amends and never made that mistake again and feel bad to this day. I am just so, so glad AIM was the sum total of social media back then.

I do think the national team coaches and/or her personal coaches should handle it. I don't really think Simone warrants any punishment, but maybe a guideline as to the best way to handle something like this in the future - not just for her but for all the NT members. But then of course you could get into the dangerous territory of making them feel like they have to toe a certain line all the time again and that's crap.

It's not that I think it's OK for teenagers to act like that. If it were my own child I'd be disappointed and appalled and if she were a minor there'd be big consequences. But it's more that people make mistakes or bad decisions, sometimes huge ones, and still eventually turn out to be good people. It's not that I think the behavior should be ignored, it's more the life-ruining-dogpile aspect of the internet.(Even though, yes, she put it out there.) It just makes me uncomfortable, especially when the players aren't/are barely adults. I realize the conversation is even-keeled here, but not so elsewhere. I have zero issues with Simone calling her out, though, even though it wasn't done in the most mature way.

I just always go back to some really poor choices I made in how I treated someone when I was young. And I realized how crappy it was and did my best to make amends and never made that mistake again and feel bad to this day. I am just so, so glad AIM was the sum total of social media back then.

I do think the national team coaches and/or her personal coaches should handle it. I don't really think Simone warrants any punishment, but maybe a guideline as to the best way to handle something like this in the future - not just for her but for all the NT members. But then of course you could get into the dangerous territory of making them feel like they have to toe a certain line all the time again and that's crap.

I totally agree. When I said it was a normal teenage mistake I definitely didn't mean she shouldn't face consequences. I just think those consequences should come from the adults in her life who know the full story and are responsible for teaching her how to do better in the future. If we learn tomorrow that her parents or coaches make her withdraw from Nationals because of this I would totally support that decision.

But I don't think that the consequences should be imposed by an army of Simone's fans on social media who only know Simone's side of the story. I understand why Simone doesn't trust USAG, but I hope that someday in the future we will have a governing body that athletes will trust enough to be able to take this type of thing to them. And I hope that dealing with it can be a joint decision between the parents, national team staff, and personal coaches. But that's my dream world and I'm sure it's a looooong way off.

2G1B, I agree on a club level this message could and probably should warrant a suspension.

What do any of you think the consequences should be for a national team member who engages in this behavior? Should it come from her club team, parents or the national team? Should Simone have consequences too?

If I'm Morgan's mother, I'd be all over her like a wet blanket....she wouldn't have a phone/computer/tablet/whatever to be posting from for a good long while....and yes folks, taking away electronics can be done... I did it with one of my kids for a YEAR ( yes, you read that correctly) and we never had any issues upon return of privileges 366 days later. If I didn't have passwords to all her accounts before, I would now.

I don't think she needs to be suspended from the National Team at this time but USAG should really get on the whole social media policing idea like NCAA teams do....the colleges usually have a slide show about appropriate vs inappropriate use of social media, with concrete examples (and this will land in the latter category)....

I'd let her use a computer or IPad for schoolwork.... but any of the sites like Twitter, Instagram, Finsta etc would be eliminated going forward. And I'd have a little chat with her on how it never hurts to be kind....as a parent, I would have a big issue with my child, who is in the public eye, using profanity in any of her postings as well.

Simone.... I feel like this was a situation that came about from media attention on her, and then she's attacked by a fellow NT members, and that hurts so while turning the other cheek is a nice idea, I can see how she was upset and responded via social media as well...

If I'm Morgan's mother, I'd be all over her like a wet blanket....she wouldn't have a phone/computer/tablet/whatever to be posting from for a good long while....and yes folks, taking away electronics can be done... I did it with one of my kids for a YEAR ( yes, you read that correctly) and we never had any issues upon return of privileges 366 days later. If I didn't have passwords to all her accounts before, I would now.

I don't think she needs to be suspended from the National Team at this time but USAG should really get on the whole social media policing idea like NCAA teams do....the colleges usually have a slide show about appropriate vs inappropriate use of social media, with concrete examples (and this will land in the latter category)....

I'd let her use a computer or IPad for schoolwork.... but any of the sites like Twitter, Instagram, Finsta etc would be eliminated going forward. And I'd have a little chat with her on how it never hurts to be kind....as a parent, I would have a big issue with my child, who is in the public eye, using profanity in any of her postings as well.

Simone.... I feel like this was a situation that came about from media attention on her, and then she's attacked by a fellow NT members, and that hurts so while turning the other cheek is a nice idea, I can see how she was upset and responded via social media as well...

I agree with all of this. I started thinking about my DD's high school cheer squad. They have to sign social media agreements when they make the squd and it is very clear that there will be consequences, up to being kicked off of the squad, if they violate the agreement. I've heard about parents signing similar contracts for themselves when their kids join various teams . IMO it is much different than the culture that we are all so against that required the team members to feel that they couldn't speak up about abuse.

While it might not have been the best choice for Simone to go to social media about this, at the same time I see logic there. If someone chooses to be mean then they need to be prepared to face the consequences, be they what they will (within reason). My middle school daughter has dealt with her share of issues at school and it really bothers me how often the advice that she is getting from the school is for her to always be the bigger person. As far as we can tell, these mean kids never learn to straighten up because their victims are always told to ignore it, or not "let them get to you", etc.

At the same time, it isn't appropriate for people on the internet to do much more than call Morgan out for this. I'm not sure what is being said, but threats and such are never ok.

It's good for ratings, in other words, put a lid on it girls.

Reactions: sce
There is a news article that was published locally and get's republished from time to time how "one bad tweet" can cost a high school athlete a college athletic scholarship with quotes from college coaches and recruiters. I think this would fall in that category of behavior.

There is a news article that was published locally and get's republished from time to time how "one bad tweet" can cost a high school athlete a college athletic scholarship with quotes from college coaches and recruiters. I think this would fall in that category of behavior.

except I doubt Florida is going to take back their offer to Morgan for her bad post.. lol

I just saw a screenshot of Morgan’s instagram post on Facebook- on a public thread/post. (And besides having a gymnast I am way way way removed from the elite gymnastics world) The internet is truly not private and that screenshot will follow her around forever.

this internet drama is silly and I have better things to do but.... link please?

I just saw a screenshot of Morgan’s instagram post on Facebook- on a public thread/post. (And besides having a gymnast I am way way way removed from the elite gymnastics world) The internet is truly not private and that screenshot will follow her around forever.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back