WAG first meet after being out with an injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stellar

Proud Parent
My DD has her first meet since beginning of December this weekend. She was out with an elbow injury. She just started back training routines and skills a few weeks ago. Prior to that she was doing only limited conditioning. She's still not fully back (elbow not ready for full impact skills) therefore her routines are very watered down. She's a 2nd year level 8 and had a successfull L8 season last year (was training L9, but hit a growth spurt and had some mental blocks so was doing 8 again this year).

I have mixed emotions about this meet. I'm happy she's well enough to compete again, but uneasy about her watered down routines. Maybe it's because she was such a strong L8 last year so it will be hard to watch her go backwards. She seems ok with it and in my heart I know that's what really matters.

Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom??

'I'm happy she's well enough to compete again, but uneasy about her watered down routines.'

Focus on the first half of your statement, and completely forget about the second half! I'm just thrilled for her that she is coming back, and she needs to feel that, and nothing but that from you! I don't care how she does or where she finishes, this calls for some ice cream afterwards! Coming back from injuries can be very difficult for kids, both physically and emotionally, so some patience and understanding is a must for a full and healthy recovery. Trust me, you will be happy about it down the road. Good luck to the both of you. Let us know how she does, and what flavor of ice cream. ;)

Gymsanity- thank you! I know you are right! We will definitely celebrate her come back and take baby steps until she is fully recovered. The meet is in Florida so we both get a mini vacation out of it!!!

FLORIDA!? Did you say FLORIDA!? For God's sake, who cares about some gymnastics meet, you're in FLORIDA! ;) I'm up to my seat in snow, and it's colder than a witches something in a brass thingy and you guys get to go to FLORIDA! I'd take her to the beach and have her do cartwheels from one end of it to the other!! Take lots of pics and enjoy. I'll be jealous, but happy for the both of you. :)

An on the mend gymmie doing watered down routines (though if they are good enough to be competing at level 8 I feel like they can't be THAT watered down) is better than a sad, injured, not able to do anything gymmie! Injuries are hard to come back from, and it sounds like she's bounced back somewhat quickly for the level she's at. Enjoy her progress through the rest of the season and look at it as a post-injury starting point rather than a continuation of last season.
Best wishes to her as she continues to get her skills back and have a blast in Florida!

Because the meet is in Florida is the only reason we are going. I think going to Florida helped motivate her to get back to the point she is now! Can't wait to see the beach and get out of the snow!!! She will do plenty of beach gymnastics and take plenty of pictures!!

Thanks!!!!!

Wishing her a fantastic meet back ! My Dd had 2 meets this season and got injured so I'm not sure if she will be able to compete any more this season so try to enjoy that your dd was able to do another meet this season. They work so hard to get to competition season and I hate to see any of our gymmies have sit out with injuries. I too am up to my seat in snow with more on the way so enjoy Florida for us too :)

Thanks for all the responses. Just found out our flight was cancelled!! So no meet and no Florida!! I have to tell DD after practice tonight. She is going to be so upset!!!

Thanks for all the responses. Just found out our flight was cancelled!! So no meet and no Florida!! I have to tell DD after practice tonight. She is going to be so upset!!!
Oh no!! So sorry to hear this. Lol I was looking forward to living vicariously through you in Florida :(.

Congratulations on yiur daughter getting back into competition! I wish her the best of luck this weekend! :)

The storm in the south is supposed to be a monster. Stay safe everyone!

Are you going to Magical Classic? We are going too, but my dd is a L3. She was just diagnosed with mono, so no gym time for her :(. Good luck to your daughter!

Thanks! We are going to Magical Classic! Sorry your daughter has mono- hope she feels better soon! Are you still making the trip to Florida?

Yes, we're going to go cheer on her teammates...and surprise them with a trip to Disney World. :)

I have an update on the meet this weekend. DD had highs and lows- bars being the low. She missed pirouette ( did kip to handstand 4 times before she made it over- but didn't drop feet) then was so tired on high bar she went over on her handstand and fell. Then got back on and hand slipped on her giant and she fell. Got back up again and finished and got a 6.25. She normally scores low to mid 9s on bars but she still hasn't built her strength up from being hurt. She handled it well though. Got 9.1 beam and 9.3 floor- both 3rd place. (Those were the routines that were changed for for elbow) Vault she handspringed and got 8.575. Overall she was happy and ready to get back and train!

'She missed pirouette ( did kip to handstand 4 times before she made it over- but didn't drop feet) then was so tired on high bar she went over on her handstand and fell. Then got back on and hand slipped on her giant and she fell. Got back up again and finished'

Damn, that girl has some perseverance! ;O I have no doubt she will make a full recovery and then some! Congrats. :)

So glad to hear she competed all 4 events and that is an accomplishment :). And got medals which is icing on the cake ! Hope you got to enjoy the warm weather

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back