Off Topic Frenectomy - How painful is procedure and recovery?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is anyone familiar with this procedure? My dd needs to get a frenectomy on her upper lip right above her two front teeth. Apparently this thick band of tissue is what causes her two front teeth to have a large gap and once the braces come off the gap will open back up if this procedure is not done. My question is how painful is the procedure and what is the recovery time like? She needs to get it done anytime before her next otho appt (June 10th) so I was wondering if I should wait till AFTER her gym season is over (Championships are May 15th) or just get it dome sometime between her next two meets. Her next meet is next weekend and then she has 3 weeks untill Championships.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi. Mine had this done on the bottom lip between 2 front bottom teeth. For most kids this thing is NOT A BIG DEAL AT ALL, heals very quickly (days) and only one day of discomfort. My kid healed slowly, nobody knew why, and it was interfearing with brushing cuz it hurt a LOT...my opinion was the oral surgeon did not have the latest equipment and botched the procedure. THis is best done with a LASER BEAM...not a SCALPEL (yes, I did my homework after the fact) make sure you go to the right person, and that way it should not interfere with any gymnastics at all.

My humble opinion...GOOD LUCK!

Hi. Mine had this done on the bottom lip between 2 front bottom teeth. For most kids this thing is NOT A BIG DEAL AT ALL, heals very quickly (days) and only one day of discomfort. My kid healed slowly, nobody knew why, and it was interfearing with brushing cuz it hurt a LOT...my opinion was the oral surgeon did not have the latest equipment and botched the procedure. THis is best done with a LASER BEAM...not a SCALPEL (yes, I did my homework after the fact) make sure you go to the right person, and that way it should not interfere with any gymnastics at all.

My humble opinion...GOOD LUCK!

Thanks flip out!!! I called the oral surgeon's office and got a consultation for May 4th. I explained that she is a gymnast and that she has championships soon and they said that they can probably just hold off until she gets back from the meet.

My dd is a worry wart, but tends to handle pain pretty well, so hopefully she will be fine :).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back