WAG Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've always thought from observation that girls who do high-level bars successfully without grips tend to be younger/lighter - does anyone know if that's true? Does it have something to do with the hand strength to body mass ratio?

I've always thought from observation that girls who do high-level bars successfully without grips tend to be younger/lighter - does anyone know if that's true? Does it have something to do with the hand strength to body mass ratio?
Don't know. But all our girls got grips last year. One girl ditched the grips. She also happens to be the tiniest on team, currently training L8 and just got her giants.

DD only started using grips after her L8 season last year. She could have gone longer as she wasn't peeling off or anything but because release moves were in her near future, they decided it was time. It took her 2 weeks and she was doing everything like she had always done. It was a really easy transition and I'm glad that we waited so long because she is small. Most girls have them by the time they are in optionals at our gym, but some get them before and some get them late like my DD. I do think it should be based on the individual's needs and not a set thing.

DD got her grips at level 7. Hated them until a coach at the gym made her a custom pair - very narrow and thin, but she constantly fussed with the Velcro. Now she has a commercially made pair of buckle grips that are just fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back