WAG Grips life

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This really depends on many factors including the skills you are training, how you swing, how you care for the grips. My dd had her grips for 3+ yrs when she used only chalk, no water but once she began using water (around L9ish?), they needed replacing about every 18mths-2yrs. It's good to always have a spare pair ready to go. Also, be sure you are inspecting them regularly. If you see any fraying, or the stitching is beginning to come loose, it's time to change

My dd had her grips for 3+ yrs when she used only chalk, no water but once she began using water (around L9ish?), they needed replacing about every 18mths-2yrs.
I use lots of water, almost every 2 turns tbh. Lesser chalk but do use it quite a bit.
Also, be sure you are inspecting them regularly. If you see any fraying, or the stitching is beginning to come loose, it's time to change
Do I check for fraying/loose stitching on the part where the grip rubs the bar?

Have your coaches look with you. THey should be able to tell if they need to be replaced. And it is always a good idea to have a back up pair ready to go

I use lots of water, almost every 2 turns tbh. Lesser chalk but do use it quite a bit.

Do I check for fraying/loose stitching on the part where the grip rubs the bar?
You need to look across the whole grip, not just where it touches the bar. The stitching where the leather strip attached to the wrist is just as important.

Girls & Guys-
If you have ANY tears on an edge of the leather - (even a small one 1/8-1/4") replace them.
If you have missing stitches (beyond fraying) replace them.
GUYS - if your grips have stretched so much that the distal fold (at your fingertips) can reach the base of your grip on the palm... ***get rid of them immediately*** or you will soon "lock-up" on high bar - a risk of breaking BOTH bones (often in both arms) in your forearm as your body keeps going - but the grips do not.
And girls(!!!) do NOT wear grips when doing strap work. This will over-stretch your grips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back