WAG Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I had a question. When should you change grips (get new ones)? Is there an average time period?
My grips feel slippery and don't grip on to the bar that well. The optionals use the bar with a lot of chalk, and since I use the same bar, I feel like my hands are slipping whenever I do any high bar skills. (Level 4, if that matters)

I am not familiar with grips getting a lot more slippery with use, but usually new grips are needed when the leather stretches too far or starts to tear. Grip lifespan greatly varies with level and weight, but often grips for level 4 can last a year or so. Upper levels maybe closer to 6 months. Without seeing your grips it is hard to tell if they are worn out, but I suspect it might be more of an issue of chalking your grips and bar to the appropriate amount. Chalk usually makes the bar less slippery because it adds more friction, but enough water is needed to do so.

Without being able to see your grips, the bar, or your chalking technique it is hard to know, so I would recommend politely asking your coach.

I am not familiar with grips getting a lot more slippery with use, but usually new grips are needed when the leather stretches too far or starts to tear. Grip lifespan greatly varies with level and weight, but often grips for level 4 can last a year or so. Upper levels maybe closer to 6 months. Without seeing your grips it is hard to tell if they are worn out, but I suspect it might be more of an issue of chalking your grips and bar to the appropriate amount. Chalk usually makes the bar less slippery because it adds more friction, but enough water is needed to do so.

Without being able to see your grips, the bar, or your chalking technique it is hard to know, so I would recommend politely asking your coach.
Oh, I thought when grips wear out, they don't grip well. Haha
Hmm i think its been a year or close to an year.

At our gym, we never use water on the bars, only on our grips (which I find odd, cuz at my last gym we used water and chalk on bars).
I feel more chalk on bars = more slipping lol. Water helps grip more.

I don't think a pic of my grips would help but if it would, i can send it.

Thanks for your reply btw!

Oh, I thought when grips wear out, they don't grip well. Haha
Hmm i think its been a year or close to an year.

At our gym, we never use water on the bars, only on our grips (which I find odd, cuz at my last gym we used water and chalk on bars).
I feel more chalk on bars = more slipping lol. Water helps grip more.

I don't think a pic of my grips would help but if it would, i can send it.

Thanks for your reply btw!
Have you ever used a brush to rough up the leather of your grips? (Avoid the stitching!)

Reactions: JBS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back