Parents Gymnast/Coach Ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twinmomma

Proud Parent
My daughter is moving to level 3 and it looks like there will be a lot of girls. I'm just wondering what the typical coach to gymnast ratio is.

It's looking like we may have around 9:1.

How old is she? My DS's coach somehow manages to wrangle nine boys aged 7-10 pretty darn effectively. They all competed L5 in 2013-14 and are training for L6. I think DD's largest workout group was about nine as well, though currently it's seven.

My DD is 8, and another girl moving over from our Xcel team is 9. I think they're sort of in the middle of the range of ages that will be on the team.

8 to 1 is pretty standard, 9 to 1 is totally fine. You have to also take into consideration that these kids are rarely all at workout at the same time. Someone always seems to be sick or at a school play etc.... :) That's my 2 cents...

A good ratio will vary significantly depending on the ability of the coach. So,e coaches can have 6:1 and still not give a lot of individual attention and spotting. Some coaches can have 12:1 and still have every girl learning the whole time, and receiving plenty of attention and spotting.

Our level 1-3 practice together. Currently there are 8 girls and 1 coach. We started the year with 12 or 13 and 2 coaches, but lost some girls to move-ups, 2 gym changers, and one went back to rec.

My DD is L3 & they have approximately 20 kids (give or take) with 2 coaches. It seems to be ok. Like coachp said, not all are at every practice every time. But no matter how many girls go to practice that day we always have 2 coaches there for L3

My DD is L3 & they have approximately 20 kids (give or take) with 2 coaches. It seems to be ok. Like coachp said, not all are at every practice every time. But no matter how many girls go to practice that day we always have 2 coaches there for L3

9:1 can be done but I much prefer 8:1 or 7:1. Then again, not all the girls are there and if I have 9 in a level, I'm kinda glad if 1 is gone so I can have 8 instead of 9. 4 stations of partners vs 3 of 3.

DD's pre-team group has 4-6 girls (depending on the day), a couple girls only train one day and train another day with team, or whatever and 1 coach. Occasionally for the last 30 minutes another coach will come help them out.
There is no current L3 team (we have a bunch of L4s and L6s and a few higher level optionals) so I imagine if/when these girls move up to L3 the ratios will be about the same.

It's always interesting to me to see how older/more experienced coaches eventually grow eyes in the backs of their heads and can shout out corrections and/or reprimands to kids goofing off at that back station in the corner whilst spotting the kids right in front of them doing that drill.

Our level 3 has 9 or 10 girls per coach. Some days we have 20 girls per coach and it's like romper room. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back