Parents Jealous older sister...HELP!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just wanted to jump back in and give a different perspective on nudging her to try other sports. I floated the general idea by my DDs (separately) and they both immediately said they would think I thought they weren't good enough to continue, that I would have lost faith in them. My girls are very different from one other, but they both jumped right to that. By suggesting she try other things to help her, you might be accidentally sending her the message that the other two are good enough for gym but she is not.. just another bit of food for thought.
It depends how it is done, I wouldn't do it by turning to the child and literally suggesting she try other sports. Bring a lower leve, she won less hours tha. The other girls so she could perhaps be allowed to do another thing on her off day. Let her sign up for extra clinics for different things iver the summer. Take her to fun sessions, just as an activity and she may stumble across her passion.

I agree. It is all in how you present it to her. It could be seen as positive. Wow mom thinks I can do this!

Thanks everyone! Thank goodness ChalkBucket is a thing[emoji23]. Everyone has helped so much! Because her younger sisters are doing homeschooling, I think it will be much better when they aren't in the gym at the same time. She's really dedicated to gym though! We make sure that we are celebrating everyone's personal accomplishments equally.

Let us know how it goes.

I'm sure it will be better when she is in middle school and sisters go during the day. It's a good thing the gym is so close. You will be back and forth constantly.

Reactions: sce
Thanks everyone! Thank goodness ChalkBucket is a thing[emoji23]. Everyone has helped so much! Because her younger sisters are doing homeschooling, I think it will be much better when they aren't in the gym at the same time. She's really dedicated to gym though! We make sure that we are celebrating everyone's personal accomplishments equally.

The problem to still be aware of is that the younger ones may be celebrated more as they are accomplishing more. Is, new skills, placement at meets, TOPS. So make sure older feels celebrated as well.

The problem to still be aware of is that the younger ones may be celebrated more as they are accomplishing more. Is, new skills, placement at meets, TOPS. So make sure older feels celebrated as well.

And it benefits everyone in the long run. My son found it easier to get through those hard meets he had as a L8 and L9 because his sister had taught him so well that he needed to celebrate accomplishing goals he had set for himself rather than medals or scores. She was also there in the gym to tell him to keep his chin up when he was struggling with a skill that he had been doing beautifully two months earlier. When she reassured him that he'd get it back, it was a totally different message coming from someone who successfully worked through a two-year block on beam than from Mom the ever optimistic cheerleader.

Yes, that is true. I try to congratulate them when their sister is not around. Though, dd does place very well at meets! She finished her past l5 meet with a 37.950 as her lowest AA score. She placed 1st AA in 7/9 meets. If she can get her giants with layout flyaway out if them, free hip to hs, bwo bhs on beam, fhs ft, and a consistent switch leap to 180 n floor her coaches will allow her to skip l6! We found that out last night. Unfortunately, she is only close to her switch leap and fhs ft on floor so far :((. I told her to just work her hardest and it won't matter what level she competes, as long as she is working hard!

Diving is a very natural transition. Good choice. I had the same issues with my 2 daughters, the younger one was excelling and the older one much slower. The fighting and jealousy began. I pulled my older daughter out of artistic gymnastics and put her in rhythmic, she really enjoyed the dance aspects of it, so I then put her in dance and now she loves it. She even takes stretching and walkover advice from the younger sister now. At least the sport fighting has stopped.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back