Parents Move or Stay

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi, I have a 13 year old daughter who is a level 6. The problem is that she goes to a YMCA gym. The gym is relatively close to home, but I have noticed that it is increasingly becoming more crowded with classes for cheer and for high schools to practice. They have to share the equipment. Like for example 12 gymnasts to one bar so the high school gymnasts can practice on the other set.

Previously my daughter fractured her foot at 11 due to a mat not being properly placed when she was flipping of the beam. She then repeated level 5 two years ago. She says that not all the coaches at the gym are experienced. The group of gymnasts that usually get the experienced coaches are the level 7 (highest level in the gym). There are some days where the xcel program and level 6s are being taught by a former cheerleader. There are not many level 6s (only 4) and they are all younger than her.

There is a trend that when people almost get to level 8 they go to a new gym for coaching. She says all of the gymnast complain about the coaching and so does she.

YMCA gyms don’t compete against USAG gyms. They compete with other YMCA gyms. There is one time where my daughter won 1st with an 8.2 on bars. I feel as it is very a low score for my daughter much less for the winner of the competition. So this might be a problem with all YMCA gyms.

We both are concerned that if we move then she will be the oldest of the bunch. It is a great possibility. She loves her friends but is ok with leaving them at the gym. She just wants to improve in her last few years with this sport as she is going to high school soon. Is it worth it finding another gym to move to despite her age and level?

Thank you for reading so much.

I would look at other gyms unless she is planning to quit altogether after level 7 because it sounds like they can't coach anyone to get beyond that level anyway. How many hours a week is practice? A YMCA program might align better with Xcel in terms of hours/cost. It really just depends on the specific gym. A level 6/7 program would most likely be anywhere from about 16-20 or more hours a week.

I’d definitely check out your options. But do keep in mind that the same challenges can occur at private gyms and they often cost a lot more. My YMCA experience is that they usually tried to contain costs for families to keep the sport accessible, whereas private gyms often try to squeeze as much money as possible from each family to maximize profits. Ask to see a list of fees and other team expenses before you sign a contract with a private gym.

Good luck.

From my experience girls rarely leave alone. If you are friends with any moms and trust them, ask their thoughts. They might be thinking just as you are. Also, if you go on indeed.com and look up gymnstics coaches, most YMCA/YWCA pay $12 - $15 per hour. They are definitely not getting quality experienced coaches at that rate.

I'll just say... check your local YMCA's tax filings. For an organization that has leaders making from $200,000 to $850,000 a year... they typically don't provide much in the way of gymnastics.

See the attachment... salaries start on page 12. I see a $500k... a couple $300k's.... multiple $200k's.

Each YMCA is different... the San Diego Y is a mega machine... but I would still encourage you to check your local YMCA. Tax filings are public data for non-profits.

Attachments

• Ymca Of San Diego County - Full Filing- Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Hi, I have a 13 year old daughter who is a level 6. The problem is that she goes to a YMCA gym. The gym is relatively close to home, but I have noticed that it is increasingly becoming more crowded with classes for cheer and for high schools to practice. They have to share the equipment. Like for example 12 gymnasts to one bar so the high school gymnasts can practice on the other set.

Previously my daughter fractured her foot at 11 due to a mat not being properly placed when she was flipping of the beam. She then repeated level 5 two years ago. She says that not all the coaches at the gym are experienced. The group of gymnasts that usually get the experienced coaches are the level 7 (highest level in the gym). There are some days where the xcel program and level 6s are being taught by a former cheerleader. There are not many level 6s (only 4) and they are all younger than her.

There is a trend that when people almost get to level 8 they go to a new gym for coaching. She says all of the gymnast complain about the coaching and so does she.

YMCA gyms don’t compete against USAG gyms. They compete with other YMCA gyms. There is one time where my daughter won 1st with an 8.2 on bars. I feel as it is very a low score for my daughter much less for the winner of the competition. So this might be a problem with all YMCA gyms.

We both are concerned that if we move then she will be the oldest of the bunch. It is a great possibility. She loves her friends but is ok with leaving them at the gym. She just wants to improve in her last few years with this sport as she is going to high school soon. Is it worth it finding another gym to move to despite her age and level?

Have you ever been to YMCA Nationals? Low scores are not a problem with all YMCA gyms.
Some YMCAs have great coaches with 20+ years of experience. Yes, some of the coaches are former team gymnasts or cheerleaders, often still in high school or college.

Also, some YMCAs do also compete in USAG meets. Bigger teams will sometimes have their upper-level optionals, or those gymnasts who want the extra meets and costs register with USAG so they can compete in USAG meets. There is one YMCA that has a "house" team that only completes against other YMCAs and a "travel" team that competes both USAG and YMCA meets. Of course, the travel team practices more than the house team.

In our area the YMCA’s don’t have a program like this nor do the high schools but it sounds like it’s not quality training or coaching. I would look at a private gym and do a free trial week where they can evaluate her and see what level or program fits best.

I don’t know much about YMCA gymnastics but I saw that Cal recently brought someone on from a YMCA. Pretty impressive!
Yah, and she switched TO the Y for Levels 9 & 10. :)
Her Y team also competes both YMCA and USAG meets (at least for upper levels).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back