WAG NGA

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast12425

Gymnast
I´m going to a gymnastics meet next weekend, and I asked my coach about why we are competing on a friday morning. She said it´s because of the amount of different assciations competing. I´ve heard most of them but what exactly is National Gymnatics Association an why was it made?

Ok, reading through the website.. Why did they think lowering age restrictions was a good idea.. I´m sorry but this is gonna cause burn-out and the amount of stress that might be on that kid is insane.. I thing USAG should up their restrictions for age, but this is insane

Though i will say, this is an important document that I´m happy it´s on the website- *Sigh* to bad my coach doesn´t take one of those to heart..

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-29 1.00.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-29 1.00.47 PM.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 124
I´m going to a gymnastics meet next weekend, and I asked my coach about why we are competing on a friday morning.

Most of the competitions that we attend start on Friday. As far as the NGA... not sure... our team does not compete NGA... maybe there are others here that could answer that?

*Sigh* to bad my coach doesn´t take one of those to heart..

Please talk to your parents right away if you are having problems in the gym with your coach.

Most of the competitions that we attend start on Friday. As far as the NGA... not sure... our team does not compete NGA... maybe there are others here that could answer that?
Most competions atleast here, start Friday night. Except for Magical Classic (A disney run meet), that atarts on a thursday if I remember correctly

Oof- Why is NGA basically just xcel ith another name
It isn't just Xcel with another name. Their level structure consists of Levels 1-10, plus Gold (between Levels 4 & 5), Platinum (between Levels 6 & 7), and Diamond (between Levels 8 & 9). Each level has optional requirements, even at the lowest levels.
NGA was created when it looked like USAG might dissolve and people would need a new organization. Their current mission statement is "To provide a positive and healthy competitive and wellness program for the sport of gymnastics that will permit participants of all ages and ability levels to achieve their own personal goals." That is slightly different than the original one: "Our goal is to provide a progressive competitive developmental program for college bound gymnasts with streamlined rules and levels for gymnasts of all ages ..."

Actually, it is, pretty much.
100%. I just saw a video of a level 7 bar routine that scored a 9.9. Not a knock on the kid at all. The routine was nice. However, cast handstands very visibly not at handstand, freehip not to handstand. There is no possible way this would have received a 9.9 in USAG. I am actually confused about the scoring bc I have heard from a few judges that the scoring is not supposed to be easier, but it sure skews a lot higher than USAG. Maybe the judges aren’t sure how to score it?

It’s Xcel without USAG. Many people want their kids to be able to do gymnastics without supporting that organization.
I understand wanting an alternative to USAG, but there is nothing better or earth shattering happening as far as the wellness component of NGA. We had a lot of fun at nationals, but overall, nothing different or better than USAG as far as treatment of the athlete. Just higher scores and easier composition requirements.

It isn't just Xcel with another name. Their level structure consists of Levels 1-10, plus Gold (between Levels 4 & 5), Platinum (between Levels 6 & 7), and Diamond (between Levels 8 & 9). Each level has optional requirements, even at the lowest levels.
NGA was created when it looked like USAG might dissolve and people would need a new organization. Their current mission statement is "To provide a positive and healthy competitive and wellness program for the sport of gymnastics that will permit participants of all ages and ability levels to achieve their own personal goals." That is slightly different than the original one: "Our goal is to provide a progressive competitive developmental program for college bound gymnasts with streamlined rules and levels for gymnasts of all ages ..."
I agree that the NGA mission statement reads better than the original USAG mission statement. I was hoping NGA would be a good alternative and stuck up for it initially. Now I just think it was thrown together hastily and unnecessarily made our state more divided especially in terms of optional levels.

Some of the coaches heavily involved in implementing NGA are not any more progressive in their use of coaching tactics than what these same coaches heavily criticize as being an issue in USAG. Without getting into specifics because I’ve probably already said too much, I saw nothing different or better at all happening as far as athlete wellness and coaching “the whole gymnast” happening with NGA. Maybe others have had a different experience. I certainly hope so. I just think at this point, the organization is geared towards making money, it could have been rolled out more thoughtfully, and it has a long way to go. Just my two cents.

100%. I just saw a video of a level 7 bar routine that scored a 9.9. Not a knock on the kid at all. The routine was nice. However, cast handstands very visibly not at handstand, freehip not to handstand. There is no possible way this would have received a 9.9 in USAG. I am actually confused about the scoring bc I have heard from a few judges that the scoring is not supposed to be easier, but it sure skews a lot higher than USAG. Maybe the judges aren’t sure how to score it?

Are you sure you weren't watching a college routine by mistake?

Were the casts at least 45º above horizontal? If so, then there shouldn't be a cast deduction in NGA. "At level 7N any cast 45 degrees above horizontal will not receive any amplitude deductions, but no value part is awarded unless cast achieves “B” handstand."

Were the casts at least 45º above horizontal? If so, then there shouldn't be a cast deduction in NGA. "At level 7N any cast 45 degrees above horizontal will not receive any amplitude deductions, but no value part is awarded unless cast achieves “B” handstand."
Yes, they were, but not by much. I am not a judge, but there is just no way this routine would have come close to scoring a 9.9 in USAG. The other frustrating thing about NGA is that my daughter did the level 7 and level 8 bar routine with the pike on to high bar, kip cast handstand, freehip handstand, giant, giant flyaway. She got credit in NGA for being above the 45 degrees and earned what I thought were excessively high bar scores on level 8 last year (9.7 at some meets without quite hitting all handstands), but she didn't get "extra points" (what is a value part?) for the more difficult routine last year. So it just didn't benefit her to do the more difficult routine in NGA in any way. Certainly not a 9.9 even with multiple stuck landings over the season, so after seeing that routine, I am actually wondering how she didn't get 10.0s last year. That is how absolutely ridiculous this was. The scoring is very inconsistent and confusing. As another example, I saw a kid last year do a free hip low bar routine and then giants with completely bent legs, and she scored a 9.2. I've never seen anything like that at a USAG meet. I also recall going to an NGA/USAG hosted meet last year, and the judges scored the NGA session just like the USAG session, so the scoring was much lower at that one meet. It just seems that the scoring can't even be reasonably compared between the two organizations.

What is IGC?

I'm glad someone started a conversation about NGA because there is little to no info or posts about it. I just feel confused and disappointed. My daughter had barely any competition last year on level 8. Her scores were great on NGA, so that wasn't the issue. Her vault was the same as a regular USAG yurchenko tuck (not sure if scoring is same or different there), bars were consistent with USAG 8 routine, but I am pretty certain the beam and floor composition were easier. For instance, she didn't have a two salto requirement and got away with front handspring, front lay. I don't think this would have fulfilled requirements in USAG. So I feel like she was not prepared for USAG level 9 after the season despite doing well on NGA level 8.

Yes, they were, but not by much. I am not a judge, but there is just no way this routine would have come close to scoring a 9.9 in USAG. The other frustrating thing about NGA is that my daughter did the level 7 and level 8 bar routine with the pike on to high bar, kip cast handstand, freehip handstand, giant, giant flyaway. She got credit in NGA for being above the 45 degrees and earned what I thought were excessively high bar scores on level 8 last year (9.7 at some meets without quite hitting all handstands), but she didn't get "extra points" (what is a value part?) for the more difficult routine last year. So it just didn't benefit her to do the more difficult routine in NGA in any way. Certainly not a 9.9 even with multiple stuck landings over the season, so after seeing that routine, I am actually wondering how she didn't get 10.0s last year. That is how absolutely ridiculous this was. The scoring is very inconsistent and confusing. As another example, I saw a kid last year do a free hip low bar routine and then giants with completely bent legs, and she scored a 9.2. I've never seen anything like that at a USAG meet. I also recall going to an NGA/USAG hosted meet last year, and the judges scored the NGA session just like the USAG session, so the scoring was much lower at that one meet. It just seems that the scoring can't even be reasonably compared between the two organizations.

What is IGC?
I actually am not involved in NGA at all, but I did a little research when they first came about.
IGC is USAIGC ... it is another "all optionals" gymnastics program that has been around for a while (most common in the New England region, I THINK).

A value part means a counting skill (there are requirements for how many skills you need in a routine, based on level). The cast and free hip CAN get credit for meeting the Special requirement without amplitude deductions as long as they meet the minimum requirement for the level.

Of note, in NGA if there is a requirement for a 1/2 turn on 1 foot (example from lower levels) and it does NOT say "minimum" then you CAN'T substitute a full turn for it.

Attachments

• NGA Skill Level Charts (All Skill Levels).pdf
    199.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Execution Errors - General.pdf
    85.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Level 1-9 Vault Values.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Level 10 Vault Values.pdf
    99.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Vault Execution Errors.pdf
    208.3 KB · Views: 4
I actually am not involved in NGA at all, but I did a little research when they first came about.
IGC is USAIGC ... it is another "all optionals" gymnastics program that has been around for a while (most common in the New England region, I THINK).

A value part means a counting skill (there are requirements for how many skills you need in a routine, based on level). The cast and free hip CAN get credit for meeting the Special requirement without amplitude deductions as long as they meet the minimum requirement for the level.

Of note, in NGA if there is a requirement for a 1/2 turn on 1 foot (example from lower levels) and it does NOT say "minimum" then you CAN'T substitute a full turn for it.
NGA posted the 9.9 routine on their Instagram. The only thing I can think is that if the routine fulfills the special requirement NGA does not deduct for amplitude, whereas USAG does take deductions? USAG deducts for casts not being at handstand on level 6 and definitely does on level 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back