Parents Ortho appt today!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Today dd has her Ortho appt. @ 2:15pm, hopefully she will be getting her boot off and she will be able to get back to some real gymnastics. She's been in the boot for 4 weeks now and it has been a total of 8 weeks since she broke it.

Ssshhhh - don't say anything but she has walked without the boot at home and has absolutely no pain and as of about 2 weeks ago she has been doing bars without the boot, but wearing an ankle stablizer and sneakers (it's the new fad, bars with sneakers!) Just this past Saturday she was on the tramp doing basic FTs, BTs, BHS and she said no pain.

I am pretty sure that she is healed (as a normal child), but not sure she is a 100% gymnast ready. I'm pretty sure that she will have to do PT, but would love to forego that - it will be such a hassle running to PT however many days a week and then practice and everything else that I have to get done. I mean, we will do it if we have to, but wouldn't mind hearing no PT.

So, wish us luck and I'll check in later! :D

Sorry I took so long, we waited almost an hour before we got into see the Dr. and then dd had Confirmation last night. I know excuses, excuses.... so here's the update:

Well, she is 75% healed. Turns out dd has a Jones' fracture, which the worst possible fracture she could have. Dr. said if she were older that she would of required surgery to fuse the bones back together but since her growth plates are wide open surgery wasn't required.

She now had this heavy duty brace that she needs to wear as a replacement for the boot. She is supposed to wear it at all times (but Dr. let her go with out the brace so she could wear shoes with her dress last night - but they had to be flats, no heels!) The brace barely fits into her school shoe (Catholic School) and she can't tie it!

She can also start PT, which she will be doing 2x a wk for 4 wks, then she'll have to get another x-ray and back to Ortho, appt is 4/12.

She can now do a little more in the gym. Absolutely no impact on foot still, but on floor can now do cartwheels, BWOs, full turns/double turns. No tumbling and no trampoline or tumble trak. The concern is that if she rolls the ankle, which is very weak right now, she will end up breaking the bone again and would then probably require surgery - so we will listen to the Dr! She can do bars, basically everything, but no dismounting. She can also get up on beam, which it has been 2 months since she's been up there. She can basically walk on the beam, do turns anything with no impact.

I really wish that the Dr. would of told me that she had a Jones' fracture back in January because I would of been a lot more realistic about her recovery time. I didn't know when she broke it what a Jones' fracture was, but I found out through my own research. I told dd if she can come back from a Jones' fracture in 12 weeks (Dr seems to think that she will be good to go after she finishes PT) that would be very impressive. What I have read from most people (online, so take it with a grain of salt) is that they usually take months (like 4-6) to recover from this type of fracture. Granted most seem to be adults but still I have not read really anything that has a Jones' recovery time of only 12 weeks.

So, I just gave you our so-so news! It's not bad, she is healing, but it's not the greatest news either! :eek:

Yeesh, that is a lot to swallow when things were looking so good.

As you say it would have been nice to know so that you could be better informed.

How does the lovely gymmie feel about this new info?

Well, "lovely" gymmie copped attitude with Dr. once again - she was less than thrilled! She wants to be back and it is hard to wait, I get it! (Also it didn't help that I was also in sort of a pissy mood because there is nothing I hate more than making an appt and not even getting into see the Dr until 45 minutes after my appt time! It seemed to raise my Irish.... which doesn't require too much to do that - they would never wait 45 minutes for me! :mad:)

Also, "lovely" gymmie copped "lovely" teenage attitude with mom because she thinks the brace is "too big" and doesn't fit into any of her shoes too well. "Lovely" mom responded that "lovely" gymmie could either "Make It Work", words of famous Tim Gunn or she can go back to wearing boot!

"Lovely" gymmie was less than thrilled with "lovely" mom's response! :p

As you can see, we are dealing with it ("it" can be classified as the current situation or my teenage offspring)! :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Yeesh, that is a lot to swallow when things were looking so good.

As you say it would have been nice to know so that you could be better informed.

How does the lovely gymmie feel about this new info?

Oh my, I can totally empathise, I have had a bit of a week with my constantly injured gymmie. I gave her the "lecture" the other night, that seems to have solved things a little. Ungrateful little ratbags they are!

Waiting for docs is awful, but here it can often be hours, even with an appointment, makes me weep!

Oh Wow. It would've been nice if you were this right from the begining. I hope her recovery continues to go well.

Sorry to hear that she isn't healed as much as you guys had expected. I think they should have told you from the start what it was and been more realistic with you. They obviously don't work with gymnasts much? I think overestimating the healing time is probably much better than underestimating it when you have a kid just begging to get back to what they love.

Teenagers, I am so not looking forward to that. I have one overemotional one and one that throws HUGE tantrums. That should be fun as teens. :D

Hope she her next visit shows she is all healed.

Like Bog I totally empathize - both with the injury and the teenage attitude. While I have a few months before mine is officially a teen - she's gotten started early with the whole attitude thing. I bust her on it every time - it has to be done.
She also just got out of a boot because of some torn ligaments in her foot. She is not fully back yet, but she is handling that fairly well (creating some smaller goals to achieve while injured). It did end her season though, and that makes her sad and upset. She is torn about going to see her team-mates at states because she wants to be out there with them. She finds it hard to just watch.

I won't say I hope your dd gets better soon, I'll say I hope she understands that a complete recovery from the injury is the best thing for her, and that she continues to work back to full gymnast mode with a positive attitude.

Best of luck - to you both.

Oh I can understand her disappointment though--Beth was the same way at finding out her recovery wasn't quite as swift as she'd hoped. Hopefully once your DD adjusts to the news, she'll be better.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that it will still take longer to heal. I am glad it has healed so well up untill this point.

Injuries on a gymnast is never good but teens add and interesting dimension to them. The injury is never good but the attitude that comes with it is not picnic either.

I do once remember a educator telling me the things that drive you crazy about your child will eventually do them well in life.

Ok that great but we stil have to get them to adulthood. :)

Best wishes and prayers for speedy healing.

Sending speedy healing Fairies to you! I wish there was a 'Non Sass' fairy! I could use one in my house!

For Beetle the hardest part after her Ankle break was in the boot and the brace. Once she could start walking on it but not really DOING anything. That was incredibly frustrating to her. She felt good but was still on restriction.

I know DD will make it through.. I know how hard it is as a Mom to listen to the attitude! Makes you wonder exactly WHERE your sweet little girl went and why this THING with a mouth and eyes that can glare is in her place?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back