MAG OTC Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

acam1103

Proud Parent
After watching the competition yesterday my 7-year old is wondering how it is determined who trains at the OTC and I have no clue. Obviously there were the guys that were in the Olympics this past year and haven't retired, but is the OTC roster updated annually based on something? Or is it more fluid than that?

All I know is there is an application process, and a limited number of spots. I am assuming there is some kind of admissions vetting process with the leadership in USAG and USOC/OTC.

https://usagym.org/PDFs/T&T/Member Updates/ResidentAthleteApplication.pdf

Seems to me like the residents there are a mix of post-college past olympians who haven't married and settled down yet (Sam, Chris..as opposed to Jake and Alex Naddour who have wives and lives...), post-college up and comers (Eddie, Donothan, Kanji...) , and some who forego college to train after high school instead of NCAA (Donnell, Cameron Bock, Marvin Kimble (formerly OTC now back to his home gym)..)...

But the exact criteria is a black box.

Reactions: sce
Tim said that Marvin got kicked out of the OTC because of his poor performance at Wintercup.

Reactions: sce
Well, there is more to Marvin leaving OTC than that. Like a lot of gymnastics at that level there is a lot of politics. Lets just say he didn't fit the mold.

Also, he is not really at his home gym. He is where his home gym''s coaches moved.

I THINK one of the gymnasts that trained at our gym may have gone to train at OTC...? Definitely not post college though...?

Tim said that Marvin got kicked out of the OTC because of his poor performance at Wintercup.

I think there were other issues with that with some behaviors, etc. Winter cup was just kind of the icing on the cake...or maybe the butter in the cake? It obviously gave him a wake up call that he isn't going to make it on sheer talent, but needs to work hard, and keep at it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back