Parents Preschool Gymnastics until age 5???????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Team will come soon enough, and while it has its own rewards and joy, make no mistake--play time is over when you hit team. It requires a substantial time, as well as financial commitment. There is more to team than just upping the hours--it is a different environment with different expectations, .

I don't think I've ever heard this summed up quite so well, ever! Nicely put!

I also want to echo the posters who have pointed out the differences between a 3 year old and a 5 year old for being independent.

My twins started skiing 3 months before they turned 3. We went out to MT for a ski trip and the plan was to do a few 1 hour private lessons for them while we were there. After the first day DS's instructor double checked with me, "this is his first time on skis?! And you are from GA??" yep and yep. The instructor said that DS was a natural and could do all of the skills needed for the 1/2 day camp for the 5-7 year olds. We tried part of one of those. Quickly learned that there is a big difference between a (almost) 3 year old and 5 year olds. He could do the skills; but he required more of the instructor's time just as part of being such a small kid. We went back to 1 hour privates and actually did them again the next year when he was almost 4. He didn't move to group ski lessons until he was almost 5, right along with his twin sister. He is a natural skier and to this day he is very good (especially for a kid who only gets to ski 10 days per year - he can easily keep up with the kids who live in Wyoming when we go out there each year).

I can understand your frustrations. When we swapped gyms (due to schedule issues) from where we first started I wasn't thrilled that my youngest DD was stuck in a basic pre-school class that was 3-5 year olds. To this day I swear she regressed during that time. Her coach at the other gym had really known her abilities and pushed her. At the new gym it just wasn't the same. We stayed though because it worked schedule/location wise and they had the classes I needed for her older brother and sister. Due to other things we are now back to the first gym. At times I wish that we had just stayed there all along (which really, just wasn't possible at the time); but in the end I think that as long as they enjoyed gymnastics during that time and wanted to continue it, then it worked out fine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back