Reminder: old threads

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know this is stated in the rules or somewhere, and most people are aware of it, but some are not. Please do not drag up old threads! Yes, I know that I am not a mod and they are the ones with the authority to say this, but it bugs me when it happens. Usually it is people who have just joined that do this. Like, when someone posts that they have a meet tomorrow, and then weeks later, someone else posts and says good luck. If it's something like that, don't post on it! If it's a conversation you want to start up again, start a new thread on it. Just figured some people on here needed to be reminded of this! :D

LLT,

Great reminder. We have had a lot of new members lately. We welcome people to read old threads. Its a great way to get ideas and information but please dont post if it has been more than a few weeks. If the original post is a question, the OP has an answer already and may not be on CB anymore.

I want to clarify: we as mods reserve the right to dredge up any old threads if we feel it necessary.

Also, we're quite a bit more lenient on this in the off-topic section, since threads there tend not to be as time-critical as threads in other sections. (for example, "what's your favorite TV-show" never really becomes obsolete, but "what can I do to help this kid get x skill" becomes obsolete the instant the kid in question get the skill.)

I want to clarify: we as mods reserve the right to dredge up any old threads if we feel it necessary.

Also, we're quite a bit more lenient on this in the off-topic section, since threads there tend not to be as time-critical as threads in other sections. (for example, "what's your favorite TV-show" never really becomes obsolete, but "what can I do to help this kid get x skill" becomes obsolete the instant the kid in question get the skill.)

Very true. I had actually put in my original post that there are exceptions, but then deleted it and forgot to put it back in.

In case you all don't know, if you are using taptalk, you can't always tell that it is an old thread. For some reason, that box that says its an old thread doesn't show on tap talk. So, if you are doing a search for a topic, you might come across an old topic and not realize it. Tap talk doesn't give the year, only the date. So sometimes it could be a yr or two old but you don't realize it. It has happened to me a couple of times.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

In case you all don't know, if you are using taptalk, you can't always tell that it is an old thread. For some reason, that box that says its an old thread doesn't show on tap talk. So, if you are doing a search for a topic, you might come across an old topic and not realize it. Tap talk doesn't give the year, only the date. So sometimes it could be a yr or two old but you don't realize it. It has happened to me a couple of times.

So what are the rules? The post I got called out on (really embarrassing BTW), was on the first page, maybe 5-6 down, in black, with no old reminder. Wouldn't you think that's okay? I've gone back and read a lot, and you see the reminders on old posts. First page, no reminder, at the top........see why I feel stupid?

So what are the rules? The post I got called out on (really embarrassing BTW), was on the first page, maybe 5-6 down, in black, with no old reminder. Wouldn't you think that's okay? I've gone back and read a lot, and you see the reminders on old posts. First page, no reminder, at the top........see why I feel stupid?

No reason to feel embarrassed. I happens. It's a learning curve. A good rule of thumb to go by is: if its more than a couple of weeks since anyone has responded, start a new thread. Exceptions would be ongoing threads like show/book threads. If a person is asking a question and it is more than a week since anyone answered, then just PM the person if you want to add your input. Most often original posters will not looking for more posts past the first 2 weeks.

I have a feeling it was me who embarrassed you. I apologize for that. I did not mean to embarrass you at all, just to make sure you were aware of the rule. Just out of curiosity, which thread were you talking about? I think I called you out on it twice, but on both of them there were multiple pages. Just wanted to know. Sorry again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back