Shorts, Yes Or No?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TigerPawLove

Gymnast
Lately, well ever since I found out I was training for the State qualifying meet, I've been a bit iffy on shorts. I started late, and there is only one other teen girl in the group, but she has no problems with shorts.

There is only one girl who is 8 that wears just a leotard to practice, and the rest wear shorts and even full length tights. Due to my Teenage-ness, I Don't know whether I should wear just a leotard. I'm a little chubby, but mostly muscle. Kinda like Shawn Johnson.

Whats your opinions on shorts and whether to wear them or not?

If you are comfortable without then go without, you can't wear them for comps.
Though at our gym pretty much everyone wears shorts or leggings (and no one seems to have a problem going without when necessary). But don't worry what others are doing go with what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Wear whatever makes you most comfortable for practice, but remember that you can only wear a leotard for meets. I suggest that for the week before a meet, you just wear a leotard, so you get used to the feeling.

And gymnasts come in all shapes, sizes, and body types. Either way, you do amazing things and are in great shape. That is what's important.

I'm a fan of no shorts. I think it looks better, is more comfortable, less hot and makes it way easier for competitions. I don't think it particularly matters what size you are as long as you feel comfortable with it. But if your body is anything like Shawn Johnson's then I'd say you're probably fine going without lol.

I started late and was chubby too so I never went to gym w/o shorts but it never became a problem when time for competition; I'm more comfy practicing in shorts so I agree with them - do what makes you comfy!

If you are going to wear shorts, just make sure they don't get caught or stuck during UB. Most gyms I've been at have a no shorts policy on bars but I imagine there are some shorts out there that may not get stuck.

Whatever you feel the most comfortable in. It's pretty even in my gym, some girls wear them, some don't. I wear shorts sometimes if I feel like it. If it's really hot, I'll go without. Sometimes I go half the practice and get tired of re-adjusting them and just take them off. They both work:)

Mostly all of the girls at my gym wear shorts over their leos even the little kids not just teenagers. I like to wear shorts because when I'm on bars it helps my legs from getting all banged up and red. But you still need to be comfortable in only a leotard since thats what you have to wear at meets.

I wear shorts at practice most days maybe once a month or so I don't but that's so I can just get used to it, we have a meet in dec. were we wear our practice tanks instead of comp Leo's so it's kinda akward. Most girls at my gym are the same either without both just depends on you

I wear them during training and most of the other girls (if not all of them) do too. A month before our first meet we aren't allowed to wear shorts. You could do that or even just a week or two before the meet would work. You decide what's best for you. If you decide to just wear a leo, don't worry because no one should really be looking there anyways! :)

I'm a fan of no shorts. I think it looks better, is more comfortable, less hot and makes it way easier for competitions. I don't think it particularly matters what size you are as long as you feel comfortable with it. But if your body is anything like Shawn Johnson's then I'd say you're probably fine going without lol.

Me too. I actually feel more comfortable without. I feel that shorts confine me and just give me more of a wedgie. But most girls in my level wear shorts normally. It's whatever you feel most comfortable with. When you're at a meet, are you thinking more about how you do or that you're not wearing shorts? That is the question.

Wow, that made a lot more sense in my head.

I am a fan of no shorts. Our coaches drill into our head that how we practice is how we compete ... so if we intentionally do something that is different from our goals to do well in competitions, we need to practice that way. Being without shorts is not that bad, it just takes some getting use to. But when you get to competitions and are not always reaching to fix your leotard and everyone else is, you will already be a step ahead of them. If you absolutely cannot go without shorts, then two weeks prior to the meet, go without shorts just to help mentally ready yourself for how you will compete.

Yes shorts - they do wedgie me but I feel more comfortable in total... There is like 2 girls at my gym that don't wear shorts although right now everyone where's sports bras but I'm too embarrassed...
Usually after not wearing shorts for like 20 mins I get more comfortable...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back