Parents Time for a new gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Household6

Proud Parent
Trying to keep it short, but I'm new to this. Newer gym, first year with a team, very unorganized, owner is unprofessional, doesn't seem to care or know what their doing always complaining about money. We live in a very small town, only gym within an hour, but other gyms are available if we're willing to drive. We're about to lose our main coach (moving) leaving the lesser qualified with 14 girls, we onky have level 1-4.
I'm sure all mom's think their child is gifted, but I know mine can grow rapidly with the right/better coaching. We are at the beginning of meet season, and can stick it out through this season, but are considering moving gyms (1hr drive, each way, multiple times a week) if it is a fit. We will be here for about another 18 months (military). I feel like she is already falling behind, she is 6, level 2 with the lack of resources ect. She has progressed rapidly since the summer with the extra time in the gym. I believe she could be lv 3 or 4 if they practiced those skills.
I have 2 other children so I'm trying to decide if I'm crazy thinking about making the drive for a gym or if this is normal?
What advice or experience do you have?

How do you go about meeting the other gyms, coaches ect without causing commotion?
I could go on and on... thanks for listening.
Disturbed, confused mom with no one to talk to!

Honestly, if this is just about better/faster progress I would stick it out to PCS time and hope for more choices at your next duty station. We are also a military family, so I get the moving aspect. We chased better this and better that for our ODD, and in the end she is now happiest after we couldn't take it anymore and said f it all and pulled her altogether. The stress of the commute (we did the 2-4 hour a day, 6 days a week thing), the money, the stress of JO optionals.. all too much. At 6 I would let it ride. That's just me, and my answer would be different if the problems were deeper, ie emotionally abusive coaches or unsafe conditions.

Observe other gyms at meets. Pay attention to coach/gymnast interactions. Pay attention to how their girls do and how they behave at awards.

Pick a couple of gyms that seem good and try to observe a practice (without your daughter). Watch interactions at practices. Do they work on next level skills, do they have a good gymnast/ coach ratio, is there enough equipment, etc.

Once you have seen how the gyms work, call one of them. Do not give your name, but ask when a good time would be for an evaluation for a team gymnast (most likely, after meet season ends).
After meet season, set up an evaluation at any gyms you have identified as possibilities. Do not bad mouth the current gym. Just say that it isn't a good fit for the family or something generic like that.

I think the progress is a bonus! She has already progressed so much in a short time, I am so proud of her.
More so about the gym, lack of communication and organization, lack of coaches. They cancelled 2 meets this season because they didn't want to work 6 days a week, 3 weeks in a row, even though they were they ones who made the schedule. The meets are what these sweet girls work so hard for, and without discussion, they just decided to cancel.
There are literally 2 coaches for the entire gym, (one leaving in 2 months) and parents filling in for rec and preschool, front desk ect. Maybe that is normal? But I don't think so.
Maybe, like you said, I should just suck it up and deal, maybe it is just first year troubles?.. it's so hard to make these decisions.
I just struggle to see how 1 coach with the entire team, plus her other classes, can benefit the children.
So nice to know there are other mil families going through this!

We've been to three gyms now with one coach for the whole team. Makes me really feel for the coaches- they are always working- but it seems like they break the groups down enough to still be positive influences in practice. My girls current gym has one coach, and both my girls consider him the best coach they've ever had. It just depends on the person. Lack of communication will be rampant, parents (or teens) working rec classes/camps/desk will be rampant. Cancelled meets will happen.. lack of organization seems pretty common too. Getting into this gym game (my girls were both much older), I had NO clue how different gym businesses are from every other business I've worked with. They're truly alien.

Plus remember this- depending on where you PCS level 1-3 may not be a thing. You may be starting from scratch anyway. There is nothing in this world, after having done it for 7 months for L6/7, that would make me take on an extended commute for anything below optionals. It wreaks havoc on the whole family.

I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old. While I would have loved for my older daughter to have gotten great coaching at 6 as I can see a clear difference between my younger and older daughter due to better coaching, my older girl is hardly in a catastrophic situation gymnastics-wise. We switched her at 8 years old, she caught up, and she's been very successful. Nothing wrong with working up skills, but level 4 is pretty ambitious for a 6 year old (they can't compete lev 4 til 7 anyways) bc proper form and technique are important. Level 2 sounds fine for a 6 year old. I personally do not think I would consider driving an hour each way for a 6 year old unless the gym situation were intolerable. Honestly nothing you've described sounds intolerable. Lack of communication is sadly not that abnormal. Nor is having parents coach. Is it ideal? Probably not for a well-established, professionally run gym, but unfortunately, not that out of the realm of normal. Once the season ends, you could do as some of the other posters suggested and schedule an evaluation at one of your other options if you think that sort of commute is doable for your family.

I have a 6 year old and a 9 year old. While I would have loved for my older daughter to have gotten great coaching at 6 as I can see a clear difference between my younger and older daughter due to better coaching, my older girl is hardly in a catastrophic situation gymnastics-wise. We switched her at 8 years old, she caught up, and she's been very successful. Nothing wrong with working up skills, but level 4 is pretty ambitious for a 6 year old (they can't compete lev 4 til 7 anyways) bc proper form and technique are important. Level 2 sounds fine for a 6 year old. I personally do not think I would consider driving an hour each way for a 6 year old unless the gym situation were intolerable. Honestly nothing you've described sounds intolerable. Lack of communication is sadly not that abnormal. Nor is having parents coach. Is it ideal? Probably not for a well-established, professionally run gym, but unfortunately, not that out of the realm of normal. Once the season ends, you could do as some of the other posters suggested and schedule an evaluation at one of your other options if you think that sort of commute is doable for your family.
These are just her goals. She would like to be level 3 next year, when she turns 7. She is just missing a few skills for 3 and 4. She is the youngest and smallest on the team so she likes to try to catch up to everyone else [emoji4]

Plus remember this- depending on where you PCS level 1-3 may not be a thing. You may be starting from scratch anyway. There is nothing in this world, after having done it for 7 months for L6/7, that would make me take on an extended commute for anything below optionals. It wreaks havoc on the whole family.
Yes, this is one of my big concerns, one of the reasons I would like to have her ready for 3 or 4 by then, so she can still compete. She has placed in the top 2 at all 3 meets this season, so she is doing great. I will just ride it out and see how it goes! Thanks so much.

I would not be traveling more than an hour each way for a gym you will be leaving in 18 months and for a 6 yr old compulsory gymnast. I would stick it out in the current gym. She is progressing and placing in competitions, which likely means that she is learning skills and form (otherwise she wouldn't be placing - unless they are very small meets). Now that you know what to look for in a gym, you will be more prepared to find the right type of gym at your next placement. And you will have more of a feeling of whether she wants to progress to the upper levels or just wants gym for fun. Just be prepared that you may be moving at a time where many gyms will not let her compete for that season as they will want her in the gym a full training season before competing for them.

Also, level 2 as a 6yr old is not "behind" by any standards. If she truly is talented and wants it, she will progress quickly with good coaching.

I would not be traveling more than an hour each way for a gym you will be leaving in 18 months and for a 6 yr old compulsory gymnast. I would stick it out in the current gym. She is progressing and placing in competitions, which likely means that she is learning skills and form (otherwise she wouldn't be placing - unless they are very small meets). Now that you know what to look for in a gym, you will be more prepared to find the right type of gym at your next placement. And you will have more of a feeling of whether she wants to progress to the upper levels or just wants gym for fun. Just be prepared that you may be moving at a time where many gyms will not let her compete for that season as they will want her in the gym a full training season before competing for them.

Also, level 2 as a 6yr old is not "behind" by any standards. If she truly is talented and wants it, she will progress quickly with good coaching.
But you would travel upto an hour? I'm not being sarcastic, but just confirming. My issue with this is that we move every 2-3 years anyway, so if I can get her to a good gym for another 18 months, that's a big deal. The next place we move, which is confirmed, will only be for a 6 month duration. A lot of military bases don't have many resources in regards to competitive sports for kids. for example, in our town, we have walmart... and mcdonalds... the nearest target is an hour away, and it's a crappy target at that ha ha [emoji23] I have friends who drive over an hour for swimming, soccer, baseball ect, because there child gets better coaching and can excel in a larger town.
The military aspect of our lives challenges things for us. We will always be moving, and I don't want that to slow her or her siblings down. So I guess a big question is, does it really matter if it's only 18 months? When we move, we will be going to our next duty station for 6 months, and it will be right before that region begins meet season. Do you think they would not let her compete with their team? I can move there while my husband deploys and be there for 2 years... better schools, better gym, a 'real' city... but how do I make these decisions? [emoji31]

If your husband is deploying and you stayed there (at the temporary duty station), would you be close to family, friends? Is it "your kind of town"?

I can't stress enough how much you need your village when gymnastics really ramps up, especially with other kids in the picture. There are always demands of time, or money, and always conflicts that will pop up whenever two or more kids are in activities.

How long will he be deployed? Could you just go "home" during that time? Does home have gymnastics close by? I understand what you're saying about every blip of time adding up to the fabric of our lives- we've moved every 1-3 years for a decade now. It's hard with the kids. They are always the new kids, always forced to start over, even reinvent themselves. Now that mine are much older I can see the strain of it, for sure, but also the beauty. They are such strong, resilient, amazing girls..

Your daughter is just so young. There is no way to tell if she will even want to continue as she gets older. You know your kid better than I do, but it seems too much like putting all of the eggs in a very delicate basket to me. Gymnastics is so rewarding.. really- and my kids generally do pretty badly, but it's been amazing for them regardless- but it's the most pia sport I've dealt with too. Let her do what you can, where you can.. always support her.. but I've found it's never worth it to squeeze the square peg into the round hole.

I really hate driving, so I don't know that I would ever be able to make that choice unless I had a strong carpool situation.

Honestly, it sounds like you are leaning toward the drive. If it's only 2-3 times a week, it probably wouldn't be so bad.

These are just her goals. She would like to be level 3 next year, when she turns 7. She is just missing a few skills for 3 and 4. She is the youngest and smallest on the team so she likes to try to catch up to everyone else [emoji4]

You chose the coah banner for your profile, are you one? Because you could offer to coach in the gym.

You chose the coah banner for your profile, are you one? Because you could offer to coach in the gym.
Yeah no sure how that happened. I emailed someone asking to change it. I help at the gym coaching mom and me classes and preschool if the coach bails, but that's it. I did gymnast when I was younger, but after competing a few years and playing 8 million sports year round at once I moved on to other things... I don't know how to edit my profile [emoji23], and my daughter does sooooo much better with other people coaching her. We but heads on everything!

But you would travel upto an hour? I'm not being sarcastic, but just confirming. My issue with this is that we move every 2-3 years anyway, so if I can get her to a good gym for another 18 months, that's a big deal. The next place we move, which is confirmed, will only be for a 6 month duration. A lot of military bases don't have many resources in regards to competitive sports for kids. for example, in our town, we have walmart... and mcdonalds... the nearest target is an hour away, and it's a crappy target at that ha ha [emoji23] I have friends who drive over an hour for swimming, soccer, baseball ect, because there child gets better coaching and can excel in a larger town.
The military aspect of our lives challenges things for us. We will always be moving, and I don't want that to slow her or her siblings down. So I guess a big question is, does it really matter if it's only 18 months? When we move, we will be going to our next duty station for 6 months, and it will be right before that region begins meet season. Do you think they would not let her compete with their team? I can move there while my husband deploys and be there for 2 years... better schools, better gym, a 'real' city... but how do I make these decisions? [emoji31]
At that age and level, about 30 minutes would have been my limit. I have 2 other kids, both of whom were also involved in other sports and I couldn't have made such a huge time commitment for commuting on a regular basis. Mine is now a level 10 and we have stayed in the same gym, 30 minutes away, despite "better" gyms further away. What might appear to be better (scores, college recruits) may not be better for the family or the gymnast.

If your other 2 are interested in gymnastics and can go to the same place or don't have any time intensive sports/activities, then the situation is different as you don't have conflicting events. At that point, knowing you will have a tougher road ahead in terms of navigating through many relocations, some with short stays, I might be inclined to giver her a leg-up now by switching gyms. It will also give you a better indicator of if she is serious with the sport.

You are in a tough place logistically though, with an expected move in 18 months, and then another one 6mths later. Gymnastics unfortunately isn't all that conducive to those time frames,repeatedly. It is not like baseball where you can just join (try out for a team) and play in games from day 1 (I know that is simplified but you know what I mean). Families make it work but it is a lot harder than with other sports. Trust in the coach, particularly in the upper levels with more difficult skills, understanding different coaching practices play a role in a child's success and take time to develop. A lot of the high level gyms don't like/allow gymnasts to come in mid season and compete. They would sit out that season and train the next. Depending on your relocation schedule, she may end up missing out on partial/full seasons. You would really have to plan it out - find gyms who will let her compete, you may need to stay a little longer in one area so she can finish her season and start training somewhere else. Also remember that compulsory seasons differ depending on your region. Once she gets to optionals, that is not an issue. She is a little too young to understand it now but in the next couple years, you will have to involve her in the decisions. She needs to understand all the above.

First Thank you for your families service. Being a military family puts you in a very different position than most of us as moves are inevitable. I think you need to look at this as a lifestyle issue. If you are a stay at home parent ( assuming as it's hard to work if you move a lot) look at school release times for your children and Gym start times. A gym move may be less attractive if your late or worried about an hours ride. If that works look at your other kids schedules if they are younger it's easier for them to come along for the ride than if they are older and have their own activities to get to. Is dinner in the car an option or would you resent the driving. If you can afford to make the financial and life style commitment I would say it's worth looking at. Great coaching and a good gym is a very valuable part of this sport. No reason to stay frustrated for over a year at your current gym if making a change makes you happier. When looking at gyms I would stress you are a military family. I would hope given your families service to our country they will understand you will be transferred and will help you find your next gym using their contacts.In 18 months she will be close too or 8 years old. She may still like gym or have moved on to another activity but I would look at it from a lifestyle point of view. Good luck to you!

Another point. How well do your other kids do in the car or waiting at gym. Unfortunately, mine are experts at the "I'm not touching you" version of car fighting. Honestly, that limits the length of time I'm willing to have them in the car. I would not drive an hour each way for any activity while both kids will be in the car.

Another point. How well do your other kids do in the car or waiting at gym. Unfortunately, mine are experts at the "I'm not touching you" version of car fighting. Honestly, that limits the length of time I'm willing to have them in the car. I would not drive an hour each way for any activity while both kids will be in the car.
Fully charged IPads do wonders for that

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back