Parents New gym....mean girls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am seeing now that time is important.....as much stress and worry and anger I felt when I wrote this message, I am seeing such a strong part of my daughter come out. I did speak with the coaches and something must have been said to the girls at some point as my daughter is coming back happier after practice. I think she realizes that her new teammates may not be her best friends right now, but she has found a couple that are really nice. She is also just getting used to the gym and with time it does get more comfortable. A couple months at a new gym really isn't enough time to truly make a decision, but knowing we can go back is comforting I suppose. Girls are going to mean throughout her life, helping her deal and work with those is a great life lesson and so is not giving up....so I am holding onto that for now.. Has the sadness continued on, I would have moved her back....but something has changed. Will keep everyone updated as the season continues.....appreciate the comments.

Knowing what I know right now, I could not agree more. If my daughter had the option to be with friends doing gymnastics, even if its less skilled coaching (but still good coaching I assume?) I'd do it without hesitation. I think its natural to want to provide the best option for them to go "as far" as they can, but if your athlete can work out at a quality gym with people they enjoy being around in a positive environment, in my opinion that's really what youth sports is all about.

You're lucky to have the two comparisons. Your daughter's current scenario is where we're at now, but we don't have another good local option to try. I personally don't see anything wrong with switching back and saying, hey, we tried, it wasn't a good fit. I feel really terrible for the girls this age that are already dealing with so much of this garbage at school, and in their personal lives, they don't need it at the places (run by adults by the way) where they want to blow off steam and enjoy themselves. Its heartbreaking to have to watch them go through it and not know the best way to help.
Just so you know, many gyms will not take back a gymnast once they leave. Our gym was like that. So, you should find out before you leave if they will welcome you back before you assume you can come back whenever you want. You may be stuck with the new not so nice gym.

Just so you know, many gyms will not take back a gymnast once they leave. Our gym was like that. So, you should find out before you leave if they will welcome you back before you assume you can come back whenever you want. You may be stuck with the new not so nice gym.
You are correct, and is a big part of what makes these decisions so difficult. For my daughter, we already have limited options in our area, and know that if she leaves the gym she's at, we probably can't come back. Even trying to have that discussion would be so unbelievably awkward it would probably lead to her being kicked out.

Reactions: cmg
Yes I have been in touch with the old gym

Reactions: cmg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back