WAG Weight v height - is this normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Uglybetty

Proud Parent
My 9.5 yrs DD's training ramped up to 9 hours (from one) around 5 months ago. She trains at an elite HPC gym in the uk. They do a LOT of conditioning and uptraining each session. She has always, always been on the 23rd centile on the growth charts (both for height and weight). I just checked and whilst her height remains on 23rd centile her weight has jumped to the 50th. There is not a scrap of fat on her....she is now solid muscle. I'm just wondering if it's normal for a gymnast to weigh more than they should for their height?

There's also the whole issue of the UK diet police to worry about. They measure kids in school and If your child's BMI is high they write you a stroppy letter and if its very high they can even inform social services. Although you could never look at her and think her weight was an issue, it's a pure mathematical exercise.

Had the letter for Middle lad - the widest part of his legs is his knee, but he is barrel chested and has shoulders like a Romanian shot putter - we just laughed.

P&F is 50the centile for height, 50th centile for weight and looks like she needs a good meal - you can count every rib, but what a 6 pack. I really cannot get any more food in her !

So in short - Yes BMI charts are irrelevant to athletes ( check out my post about BMI and Ben Cohen)

This is the age where they tend to put on weight naturally, in preparation for height growth so it could be that. Or it could be the extra conditioning, bulking her muscles. Which weighs more than fat. Likely its a combination of both. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

You can refuse to get them weighed measured at school :)

Like others have said, she may be preparing for a growth spurt, it may be she's packed on muscle.

I think it's unlikely still her BMI will be over, even so.

I have no idea where mine are :). I think DD2 was weighed once at birth, and once at a Dr appt at 4 weeks because of a severe reflux issue. Stopped a whole lot of stress I can tell you!

She's probably going to end up just fine (gymnastics potential) as she grows over the years. The most assuring thing I read (not a scrap of fat on her) is that she's working hard and keeping very fit. I don't think she can do any better than to work on her strength, follow an informed and thought out nutrition program, and let genetics decide her exact height and weight ratio.

Looking at the sport and it's participants you'll find examples of thin, thick, short, and tall athletes that do well on an international scale. Sure, there's a limit to how thin, tall, short, and thick a child can be before gymnastics and body start arguing with each other, but a 9.5 year old is years from finding if she'll remain somewhere in the workable norm, or should switch to volleyball or tiddly winks.... hey you outta try it.......

My youngest dd has always been on or below the lowest centile for both height and weight and since starting her new classes nearly 3 months ago she is starting to feel heavier and has put on a little weight, she hasn't got an ounce of fat on her anywhere do it must be muscle she is gaining due to strength and conditioning exercises she is doing,

My oldest dd is off the chart in height and weight (way below the bottom centile and cannot be plotted on the chart), due to growth problems. She is the one in the video on the Brag Alert Social Group.

Agree with all - normal for athletes. My gymnast DS, age 6, is 60th percentile height, yet 80th weight and has never had an ounce of fat either. He is the same weight as his slim 10 y/o brother (non gymnast). He feels like he is made of gold bars when you try to pick him up. lol. I'm sure a lot of gymmie parents here relate to that :D

what a bunch of crap! they really send letters home to you??

i'd wipe myself with those letters and return them to sender...

and i just reread your post. they turn you in to social services?? are they smoking hopium in the UK administration?

i'd wipe myself for a week...and THEN return to sender. life never ceases to amaze.

Same thing here....beneath charts for height and 25% for weight....no fat, killer abs, bum, and legs....have to admit she's often stronger than me!

Like many others, my girls are 25% higher on their weight percentile than their height. Little level 4 dd is 25% for height and 50% for weight. Level 5 dd is 50% for height and 75% for weight. Their doctor is not concerned in the least. She is very happy with their amazingly fit and healthy bodies.

Mine too. She jumped up in weight % this year. Part of it is she is in the middle of *the* growth spurt, but her training hours have jumped up quite a bit and she has gained lots of muscle. Luckily, we homeschool, so won't get one of the nasty "high BMI" letters, and her pediatrician commented that BMI is useless for someone of her activity level. And fortunately, she doesn't even know what BMI is.

DD's weight % has definitely increased compared to her height % as she gets stronger, as it should. I am amazed by her muscles! And by the amount of food she can pack away. I am anticipating a growth spurt because she is back to both packing and buying a lunch every day.

My gymmie DD is 31st% for weight and 14th% for height so similar to others here and very trim. Both our girls are built solid. Our little DD got a note home from our health provider when she was 2 stating that her BMI was too high and that we should cut back on soda and candy for her. This just cracked us up. Does anyone really give their two year old soda? We just put the letter on the fridge for kicks. This was KP healthcare in the US. My DH also has a "high BMI" and probably 7% body fat. A flawed stat for athletes or for accounting for differences in build.

Glad to read this thread, now here's some motivation for keeping my daughter in gymnastics. She has always been around 90th %ile for height, 30th for weight. So far we haven't been in trouble at the doctor's office because they know my husband, 6'3" and always trying to make weight for lightweight rowing (160 lbs for men- it's gross, I weigh more than that and I'm 5 inches shorter). I'm wondering if gymnastics from a young age can fight a genetic predisposition to bean-pole-ness. She's only 5 and this gangly kid shows very little aptitude for gymnastics, so we may never find out.

I am also glad to read these responses. My DD is 30th for height, and 60th for weight. There is not any fat on the kid, and she wears clothes sizes two sizes smaller than she should based on age. Her Dr. did tell me she was technically "overweight" and we laughed about it together. Absurd.

As an aside, I am all for helping parents be aware of ways to encourage healthy eating and fitness in their children, but I fear the numbers are being taken to far. I have a family member who is 16, and has a few extra pounds, but not obese. She is a strict vegetarian, plays soccer at a very high level, and is just so, so fit. There are just so many cases of thin kids/adults who eat crap and sit on their butts, and fit and active people who carry a few extra pounds. I hope our friends in the UK protest the BMI police enough that no one dare start that program in the U.S.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back